Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To answer the question about my BMW F800GT. It was a 2016 model and had 31,000 miles on it when it broke. Generally a very reliable bike (with a dull engine). Bought it used in mid 2018 with 4,700 miles and purchased a 3 year unlimited mileage service contract with it for $1,500. Dealer did all the service work on it including changing the drive belt at the 24,000 mile service. I thought it was too tight and called and left a message about it but didn't get a response. Left on a 5,500 mile trip. Had the 30,000 mile service done days before I left. Dealer wanted to work on the clutch and pointed out a weep from the water pump but not belt comment. Left on my trip and bearing failed 1,100 miles later. Warranty ran out in April or May of this year. I do not think BMWs are inherently unreliable but dealer service can vary tremendously between dealerships. Will have to say the technician did a good job adjusting the clutch. They were concerned about it not shifting smoothly and hard to find neutral. Told them not to worry it was always that way - in fact I had even asked about it at least once when dropping it off for service. When the oil was fresh and the engine hot it could be very difficult to find neutral but got better as the oil aged. IMO if the belt had been properly adjusted I would not have broken down but had a great adventure and got a bike I like better.

Edit: I would not hesitate to buy another BMW if there was one I really liked or wanted. Their bike are well thought thru and well finished and generally reliable. Just watch out for the German mindset - we designed it properly you need to adjust yourself to our properly designed motorcycle. :) Would have service done differently though.

Since Ive retired have been doing long road trips with all my friends - that would be me! For that I need a reliable bike that I can get parts for. For fun rides that are closer to home I think an exotic bike would be nice - would drive me crazy having to cancel a trip just because something broke and I couldn't get a part - oh wait I just did that :)

31k miles and only one hiccup doesnt sound bad for any bike manufacturer to me! I'm looking forward to the BMW demo event in two weekends. Not even because I necessarily plan on getting one, but just to get a feel for the different offerings and riding styles on the market. The S1000R, The R Nine-T and one of the adventure bikes are on my list to try.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
One of my favorite new bikes is the Kawi Z900 cafe..it looks great, has a good amount of power, looks comfy. And is probably reliable as hell.

I've heard incredible things about the motor, and for that alone I will have to give the bike a try. I wish more manufacturers took the approach of the Z900. Minimal electronics, solid motor, good dash. It's an awesome bike, especially when you factor in the price. I wish manufacturers stopped driving up the prices with up and down quick shifter, lean sensitive ABS, and wheelie control. The money could be better spent if they invested it in suspension and tires. Plus without all the electronics, we could have cable actuated throttles (which was a determining factor in why I got the zx6r).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I just dont know what I'm looking for entirely, If I get a fancy naked, I feel I can't justify having a sports bike as well. I havent ridden an adventure bike, but the looks don't appeal to me. Maybe what I'm realizing is that you can't have one bike to satisy all your needs. I will be doing my first track day soon in the coming months, I'm sure I'll be addicated then and will want to reserve the bike for track duty.

·
Registered
550 Posts
31k miles and only one hiccup doesnt sound bad for any bike manufacturer to me! I'm looking forward to the BMW demo event in two weekends. Not even because I necessarily plan on getting one, but just to get a feel for the different offerings and riding styles on the market. The S1000R, The R Nine-T and one of the adventure bikes are on my list to try.
I totally agree but that wasn't all. IMO it was not a part failure but failed due to an improperly adjusted drive belt. Again IMO not the only service issue I had.

Not trying to knock BMW or any bike, just saying consider all the costs and issues when looking at a bike. How much does it cost? depreciate? service costs? parts availability? and the big one, how good and available is servicing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
FYI they just said they're bringing the MT-09SP version to the US this year. That's the model I would choose over the base MT-09, not sure how hard it's going to be to get one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I totally agree but that wasn't all. IMO it was not a part failure but failed due to an improperly adjusted drive belt. Again IMO not the only service issue I had.

Not trying to knock BMW or any bike, just saying consider all the costs and issues when looking at a bike. How much does it cost? depreciate? service costs? parts availability? and the big one, how good and available is servicing.
All valid points, I moved to California this year, so I kind of take for granted I have a slew of dealerships around me. I'm from the midwest, Cincinnati,Ohio to be exact, and while I wasn't into motorcycles there, I don't recall seeing any shops really.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
FYI they just said they're bringing the MT-09SP version to the US this year. That's the model I would choose over the base MT-09, not sure how hard it's going to be to get one.
Oh wow, I just looked this it up after reading your post, it's aboout time! Does anyone know about KYB Forks, are they just as good as Showa? If so, that bike is just about perfect for the streets (on paper), especially considering the price. I will have to see how I feel about the looks in person. I did make one decision today, I will be selling my full system exhaust, and as a result, my PCV, iit's awesome in the canyons, but I prefer something quieter when I'm just cruising.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I love the look of the headlights on the s1000r...to each his own such a true statement. I have a couple friends with Street Triples and they both love them. I have a Daytona 675r and the sound that bike makes is really sexy and it handles really well.
I’m trying to slowly accumulate a bike from each manufacturer. I got Suzuki, Kawi and Triumph so far got a bunch to go lol. Thank God my wife is so cool or else this dream would never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are the 675r ergos compared to the zx6r? That limited editon Moto 2 765 is certainly tempting! Now they just need to make it a normal production mottorcycle to drop the price by 2-4k.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
All valid points, I moved to California this year, so I kind of take for granted I have a slew of dealerships around me. I'm from the midwest, Cincinnati,Ohio to be exact, and while I wasn't into motorcycles there, I don't recall seeing any shops really.
When I lived in CA, I was riding 15K/yr. Without good winter gear. 50F is about when you can wear really high quality riding gear without discomfort, riding on the street.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The MT-09SP looks interesting. The biggest complaint among FJ-09, MT-09 and Tracer owners that ride hard is the suspension. Changing rear shock for Öhlins or Penseke is very common and most of those who do upgrade the struts with cartridges and some go full Öhlins. MT-09SP does that. Don't know if Ive said this but Yamaha did a good job designing to a price point, great platform with a great engine, not too big but sounds good and has good power. Money was saved on the suspension but for me it's a lot easier to fix suspension than fix a crummy engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The MT-09SP looks interesting. The biggest complaint among FJ-09, MT-09 and Tracer owners that ride hard is the suspension. Changing rear shock for Öhlins or Penseke is very common and most of those who do upgrade the struts with cartridges and some go full Öhlins. MT-09SP does that. Don't know if Ive said this but Yamaha did a good job designing to a price point, great platform with a great engine, not too big but sounds good and has good power. Money was saved on the suspension but for me it's a lot easier to fix suspension than fix a crummy engine.
I just saw that it comes with Bridgestone S22s! Looks like a comprehensive package now. I don't know anything about KYB. Will have to wait to see it in person. I do like the look of a little bit of fairing and a "cockpit style instrument cluster", which is why the street triple is interesting, along with some others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When I lived in CA, I was riding 15K/yr. Without good winter gear. 50F is about when you can wear really high quality riding gear without discomfort, riding on the street.
I'm doing a little over 1k a month now without any commuting/chore running. But I have no excuse to not be doing a few hundred miles a day on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm looking at getting into doing a track day once a month. But those saturday and sunday rides during the cooler months is sparking my search for an additonal bike in the line up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Man, the Yamaha MT09 SP being released here, an updated Yamaha Tracer 9/9 GT, and an udpated Ducati Supersport S - finally with a TFT and full LEDs, along with other goodies!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sooooo Indian had a demo day a couple of days ago. I went by and rode an Indian FTR. It really surprised and impressed me. Don't think its competition for the ZX6R but a fun bike that is super easy to ride. In the lot next to a Scout looked tall so I was a bit concerned about it being top heavy but no it was super light when I hopped on. I could just flat foot it. LOL the biggest trouble I had with it was the V twin, I'm used to a triple and the low speed power of the Indian was startling. Easy to start off and super easy to ride. It's not really a light bike but the weight is low and it is a relatively small bike. Turns super easy and goes where it is pointed, no wrestling with the bars or anything. I am not the best at balancing a top heavy sport bike and low speed maneuvering has always been tricky for me. The Indian was super easy. Just a bike I could hop on and ride, a short ride or a long ride. I ride my scooter around the neighborhood a lot cause its so easy. The FTR was like that but with lots of power and good handling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
BMW just announced the S1000r refresh! And a Ducati Monster refresh premiere is due in the next two weeks! So many new compeitive naked/sport tourers being released. Should be able to get a killer deal on this years models, especially coupled with if you can pick one up during the winter!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts