Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a naked next biked next year, in terms of an all arounder, commuting, backround fun, and touring, how would you rate them? I'm specifically looking at a Ducati Monster 1200s, (Maybe a MV Augusta 800 Dragster 800 rr, but looking for something a little less high revving). I hear their achilles heel is highway miles, then again, people daily liter sport bikes and ball burning Panigales. I will try and rent one for a day, just wanted to hear the thoughts of those with more knowledge and experience on this forum, thanks.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
A bike with less dedicated ergonomics can be a better day to day ride, than a super sport. Whatever lets you ride more, and enjoy it more, is fair game.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looking at getting a naked next biked next year, in terms of an all arounder, commuting, backround fun, and touring, how would you rate them? I'm specifically looking at a Ducati Monster 1200s, (Maybe a MV Augusta 800 Dragster 800 rr, but looking for something a little less high revving). I hear their achilles heel is highway miles, then again, people daily liter sport bikes and ball burning Panigales. I will try and rent one for a day, just wanted to hear the thoughts of those with more knowledge and experience on this forum, thanks.
Look at the new Z H2. Budget permitting. Or I hear good things about the MT10 / 09

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I’m also looking to add a naked bike to the fold. I’m leaning more toward KTM 890 or S1000R for mine. Possibly the CB1000R as
Well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
I’m also looking to add a naked bike to the fold. I’m leaning more toward KTM 890 or S1000R for mine. Possibly the CB1000R as
Well.

The s1000r is perfect. Too perfect. I got rid of mine because I never felt like it was going to kill me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The s1000r is perfect. Too perfect. I got rid of mine because I never felt like it was going to kill me.

I like what I’m hearing...Im seeing myself buying the BMW bc I can pay cash for it buying used, as opposed to the KTM it would have to be brand new.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like what I’m hearing...Im seeing myself buying the BMW bc I can pay cash for it buying used, as opposed to the KTM it would have to be brand new.

If you’re looking for something fast and easy to ride, it would definitely be first on my list. Make sure you get one with cruise control and heated grips. My only gripe with that bike was the turn signal switch. It was hard to tell if you pressed the button or not because it doesn’t move very far. Also, the low beam would shut off when you turn the highbeam on. Something to do with regulations. It made it difficult to ride at night on the highway.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you’re looking for something fast and easy to ride, it would definitely be first on my list. Make sure you get one with cruise control and heated grips. My only gripe with that bike was the turn signal switch. It was hard to tell if you pressed the button or not because it doesn’t move very far. Also, the low beam would shut off when you turn the highbeam on. Something to do with regulations. It made it difficult to ride at night on the highway.

Oh man you’re getting me excited about owning one...thank you! I have been looking at the premium models with all the cool options.
That’s weird about the hi beams. I’ll be putting HIds on the bike more than likely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went to a Yamaha Demo Day today and tried out the MT-09. It was my first time riding a bike other than my zx6r (outside the MSF course). It was an interesting experience. When I first hopped on the bike I immediately hated it and wanted to be back on my zx6r. The triple had an incredible amount of pull, but the sound wasn't as pleasing as my zx6r. I'm not talking about the exhaust note persay, but the bike as a whole sounded a bit more wild. The handle bars were a bit awkward for me, however getting set up for turns on the bike was really nice. I really disliked going from a stop on the bike as the clutch engagement was much different than what I was used to. It wasn't progressive, I had to release the clutch pretty much the entire way before getting any engagement. I'm sure some of this was getting used to a new bike and rider error. For some reason though, I didn't feel like I was riding a motorcycle, or having a motorcycle experience on this thing. It's a good bike, but I just couldnt get into it. I would say though, after a long day of backroad brapping, I would certainly feel less fatigued. When I hopped back on my zx6r after finishing up the day, I felt a senese of more appreciation for my bike. BMW has a demo day near me the weekend after next. I will be demoing the S1000R, if I like it enough, I will rent one for an entire day to truly get to know the bike. I plan on doing the same for the Ducati Monster and MV Augusta Dragster 800 RR. I'm sure the Kawasaki Z900 would be amazing, it doesnt look bad, but I want my bike to really excite me. I can't get over the 800 RR looks! 2019 Mv Agusta Dragster 800 Rr For Sale in Windsor, CA - Cycle Trader

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I went to a Yamaha Demo Day today and tried out the MT-09. It was my first time riding a bike other than my zx6r (outside the MSF course). It was an interesting experience. When I first hopped on the bike I immediately hated it and wanted to be back on my zx6r. The triple had an incredible amount of pull, but the sound wasn't as pleasing as my zx6r. I'm not talking about the exhaust note persay, but the bike as a whole sounded a bit more wild. The handle bars were a bit awkward for me, however getting set up for turns on the bike was really nice. I really disliked going from a stop on the bike as the clutch engagement was much different than what I was used to. It wasn't progressive, I had to release the clutch pretty much the entire way before getting any engagement. I'm sure some of this was getting used to a new bike and rider error. For some reason though, I didn't feel like I was riding a motorcycle, or having a motorcycle experience on this thing. It's a good bike, but I just couldnt get into it. I would say though, after a long day of backroad brapping, I would certainly feel less fatigued. When I hopped back on my zx6r after finishing up the day, I felt a senese of more appreciation for my bike. BMW has a demo day near me the weekend after next. I will be demoing the S1000R, if I like it enough, I will rent one for an entire day to truly get to know the bike. I plan on doing the same for the Ducati Monster and MV Augusta Dragster 800 RR. I'm sure the Kawasaki Z900 would be amazing, it doesnt look bad, but I want my bike to really excite me. I can't get over the 800 RR looks! 2019 Mv Agusta Dragster 800 Rr For Sale in Windsor, CA - Cycle Trader
I also really love the looks/sound of the MV but ,and this is a big but, my buddy had an MV track bike and it leaked oil incessantly and it only had 2000 miles. That fact, and the fact that I read a lot of them tend to do this, and the finish on the gas tanks doesn’t like ethanol and I stopped looking at them. I probably shouldn’t care but I do. Cant think of many worse things than spending good money on a machine just to find that I have to keep spending $ on it to keep it running properly/looking nice.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
One of my coworkers picked up a Tuono a few months ago. It's the twin cylinder version rather than the V4; he got it for a song. Is enjoying it immensely and is putting may thousands of miles on it. Goes on multi hour rides on it routinely.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Understand what you are talking about. Wanted to go touring so traded my '14 ZX6R for a BMW F800GT. Not a naked but upright with wide bars and a crummy engine (still hate the sound it made) it took me a long time to get used to the riding position as the ZX6R was perfect for me even though I was 63 at the time! I made lots of long trips on the bike, we went to Utah, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and the nearby states. It was a good touring partner till it broke on the last trip - if you are going to buy an exotic bike be sure you have time to not ride it when it breaks and you wait for parts. BMW repair shop in rural Nebraska hahahaha. To replace a rear wheel bearing I bought a complete swingarm from eBay and swapped in the KOA I was staying in. Had a brand new Rental Camry while waiting for swingarm to arrive - anyone seeing the cost of this repair going up up up? For a cage the Camry was really nice. Fixed BMW and traded for a 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT. After 26 months of listening to the BMW parallel twin the CP3 Yamaha sounds wonderful! It's no ZX6R but power reminds me of the ZX6R. Loved the way the ZX6R was always ready to play - telling me lets go let go. The Tracer GT (close cousin to MT09) has a playful attitude - IMO its a hooligan bike that has been tamed for touring duty. Can still see and feel the hooligan roots but more refined and not quite so eager to loft the front. It highlights the design to a price point but I think Yamaha made some good decisions. Great engine and basic platform no scrimping there. They did save a bit on the suspension so for aggressive riders will need some upgrades but hey I can upgrade suspension a lot easier than the engine.

Riding position on the ZX6R is pure sport bike, when riding quickly there is no mistake as the I4 make lots of RPMs. My BMW was much more stealthy, upright position and a twin with an 8,500 RPM redline, may have been going quickly just didn't look and sound so much. The CP3 splits the difference with a better sound but not the high RPM scream. I did get pulled over the other day for doing something stupid with the throttle - got off with a warning. Officer was very surprised when he saw me, said he was expecting someone different not someone in their mid 60s. RJ2112 you have something to look forward to :)

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
I've gotten lucky with the 'gray beard' approach a few times, Al..... having explored all of the options over the years, pulling over immediately, being calm and respectful, having all my ducks in a row, asking for permission before doing anything threatening..... kindness goes a long way. Understanding the officer's mindset and avoiding doing things that trigger their threat response has many, many advantages.

It's fair to say that on the bike, I get a ticket roughly every 5th time I get pulled over.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I also really love the looks/sound of the MV but ,and this is a big but, my buddy had an MV track bike and it leaked oil incessantly and it only had 2000 miles. That fact, and the fact that I read a lot of them tend to do this, and the finish on the gas tanks doesn’t like ethanol and I stopped looking at them. I probably shouldn’t care but I do. Cant think of many worse things than spending good money on a machine just to find that I have to keep spending $ on it to keep it running properly/looking nice.

Yeah, I guess if something was consantly going wrong with it, that would destroy the experience, plus for the money, the dash is outdated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Understand what you are talking about. Wanted to go touring so traded my '14 ZX6R for a BMW F800GT. Not a naked but upright with wide bars and a crummy engine (still hate the sound it made) it took me a long time to get used to the riding position as the ZX6R was perfect for me even though I was 63 at the time! I made lots of long trips on the bike, we went to Utah, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and the nearby states. It was a good touring partner till it broke on the last trip - if you are going to buy an exotic bike be sure you have time to not ride it when it breaks and you wait for parts. BMW repair shop in rural Nebraska hahahaha. To replace a rear wheel bearing I bought a complete swingarm from eBay and swapped in the KOA I was staying in. Had a brand new Rental Camry while waiting for swingarm to arrive - anyone seeing the cost of this repair going up up up? For a cage the Camry was really nice. Fixed BMW and traded for a 2020 Yamaha Tracer GT. After 26 months of listening to the BMW parallel twin the CP3 Yamaha sounds wonderful! It's no ZX6R but power reminds me of the ZX6R. Loved the way the ZX6R was always ready to play - telling me lets go let go. The Tracer GT (close cousin to MT09) has a playful attitude - IMO its a hooligan bike that has been tamed for touring duty. Can still see and feel the hooligan roots but more refined and not quite so eager to loft the front. It highlights the design to a price point but I think Yamaha made some good decisions. Great engine and basic platform no scrimping there. They did save a bit on the suspension so for aggressive riders will need some upgrades but hey I can upgrade suspension a lot easier than the engine.

Riding position on the ZX6R is pure sport bike, when riding quickly there is no mistake as the I4 make lots of RPMs. My BMW was much more stealthy, upright position and a twin with an 8,500 RPM redline, may have been going quickly just didn't look and sound so much. The CP3 splits the difference with a better sound but not the high RPM scream. I did get pulled over the other day for doing something stupid with the throttle - got off with a warning. Officer was very surprised when he saw me, said he was expecting someone different not someone in their mid 60s. RJ2112 you have something to look forward to :)

I was seriously impressed by the pull of the motor on the MT-09. If I ever decided to go full sport touring, the Tracer GT would be worth a look. I assume the GT will be revamped for 2021, including the the new MT-09 updates. How many miles on the BMW before it broke, what kind of warranty did it have?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just noticed the headlights on the BMW S1000R, not being symmetrical is throwing me off. There was supposed to be a revamp for the bike in 2021, there were spy shots with new headlights, TFT dash, and new silencer. May be worth seeing the release of the 2022 model. I may give Triumph's offerings a look as well, I hear good things about the Triumph Street Triple. There is supposed to be a Ducati Streetfighter V2 releasing this year. I have never ridden a Ducati, so I'm not aware of how bad the heat issues truly are, but I wonder if this will suffer from the same. Maybe after renting a naked/ sports tourer and riding it for a day I'll be able to appreciate it more. I just find with my zx6r that I'm constatly think about the curvy roads I'm headed for, thinking about the destination, not the journey. I just moved to California this year, I can ride all year round, but it just occured to me that road temps in 45-55F degree weather won't be suitable for spirited riding. I'm going to take my time and try to enjoy my bike for now. I may just end up making the bike more street friendly and replacing the full system exhaust with a slip on, and having a comfort seat made for long trips.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I just noticed the headlights on the BMW S1000R, not being symmetrical is throwing me off. There was supposed to be a revamp for the bike in 2021, there were spy shots with new headlights, TFT dash, and new silencer. May be worth seeing the release of the 2022 model. I may give Triumph's offerings a look as well, I hear good things about the Triumph Street Triple. There is supposed to be a Ducati Streetfighter V2 releasing this year. I have never ridden a Ducati, so I'm not aware of how bad the heat issues truly are, but I wonder if this will suffer from the same. Maybe after renting a naked/ sports tourer and riding it for a day I'll be able to appreciate it more. I just find with my zx6r that I'm constatly think about the curvy roads I'm headed for, thinking about the destination, not the journey. I just moved to California this year, I can ride all year round, but it just occured to me that road temps in 45-55F degree weather won't be suitable for spirited riding. I'm going to take my time and try to enjoy my bike for now. I may just end up making the bike more street friendly and replacing the full system exhaust with a slip on, and having a comfort seat made for long trips.
I love the look of the headlights on the s1000r...to each his own such a true statement. I have a couple friends with Street Triples and they both love them. I have a Daytona 675r and the sound that bike makes is really sexy and it handles really well.
I’m trying to slowly accumulate a bike from each manufacturer. I got Suzuki, Kawi and Triumph so far got a bunch to go lol. Thank God my wife is so cool or else this dream would never happen.

·
Registered
544 Posts
To answer the question about my BMW F800GT. It was a 2016 model and had 31,000 miles on it when it broke. Generally a very reliable bike (with a dull engine). Bought it used in mid 2018 with 4,700 miles and purchased a 3 year unlimited mileage service contract with it for $1,500. Dealer did all the service work on it including changing the drive belt at the 24,000 mile service. I thought it was too tight and called and left a message about it but didn't get a response. Left on a 5,500 mile trip. Had the 30,000 mile service done days before I left. Dealer wanted to work on the clutch and pointed out a weep from the water pump but not belt comment. Left on my trip and bearing failed 1,100 miles later. Warranty ran out in April or May of this year. I do not think BMWs are inherently unreliable but dealer service can vary tremendously between dealerships. Will have to say the technician did a good job adjusting the clutch. They were concerned about it not shifting smoothly and hard to find neutral. Told them not to worry it was always that way - in fact I had even asked about it at least once when dropping it off for service. When the oil was fresh and the engine hot it could be very difficult to find neutral but got better as the oil aged. IMO if the belt had been properly adjusted I would not have broken down but had a great adventure and got a bike I like better.

Edit: I would not hesitate to buy another BMW if there was one I really liked or wanted. Their bike are well thought thru and well finished and generally reliable. Just watch out for the German mindset - we designed it properly you need to adjust yourself to our properly designed motorcycle. :) Would have service done differently though.

Since Ive retired have been doing long road trips with all my friends - that would be me! For that I need a reliable bike that I can get parts for. For fun rides that are closer to home I think an exotic bike would be nice - would drive me crazy having to cancel a trip just because something broke and I couldn't get a part - oh wait I just did that :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
One of my favorite new bikes is the Kawi Z900 cafe..it looks great, has a good amount of power, looks comfy. And is probably reliable as hell.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts