Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R. I thought the noise the Kawasaki tick coming from them CCT. I just replaced with an APE manual cam chain tensioner. It did not fix the noise and when I loosened the APE out further than it should have been, then I could hear the cam chain ticking. When I tightened APE my ticking noise was still there. Is this valves or did I do it wrong? What else could the noise be. It seems to only start after 4000 RPM. It continues to get worse throughout the rest of the RPM range. I only drove 3 miles with it making the noise. I change the oil and found small flakes of metal in my oil.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting restless without riding.
https://youtu.be/R-ntO16iVn0
https://youtu.be/b50WEhrTghI

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Try resetting your tensioner again, set some slack on the chain on the tensioner side by rotating crankshaft CW, then follow APE instructions, if I remember right, tighten center adjuster until you feel moderate resistance, then back off 1/4 turn and lock with the outer locking nut.

Usually the cam chain is the loudest at idle. I didn't really hear anything odd, when you revved it up to 4k. How many miles on the bike? Does it need a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only thought is I don't think it's the ape CCT. When I had the bike running with APE tight I loosened it expecting to hear a worse ticking noise. A new noise appeared as I loosened the CCT. Once I be tightened it gently the new noise went away. The other noise was still there. I'm kind of thinking valves I acquired the bike at 19000 miles and the guy told me he had done the valve. I'm now at 24000 miles. And I was on a 200-mile ride when I started hearing the noise I pulled over immediately and got towed home. Before hundred miles before this Fiasco I was going down the freeway and my oil filter came loose spraying oil all over me and the bike. Within 10 seconds I shut off the bike and got towed home. I have since done to oil changes and cleaned everything thoroughly. Cadott causes valves to go out of adjustment quickly.

·
Registered
773 Posts
check your exhaust,
gasket maybe leaking, check for loose nuts.
loose exhaust, can sound like valves ticking.
Truth! I thought I had some sort of internal engine ticking going on, and it was driving me crazy. Closer inspection revealed I had lost four exhaust stud nuts, and two of the exhaust flanges had fallen out of their spot! Quick trip to Home Depot, and the nuts were replaced, and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the noise strong enough to feel in your legs sitting on it? I could fee the noise through my legs when the bike was running above 4k. In person you can't hear the noise at an idle it seems to start around 4 k RPM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was the noise strong enough to feel in your legs sitting on it? I could fee the noise through my legs when the bike was running above 4k. In person you can't hear the noise at an idle it seems to start around 4 k RPM
no, could not feel. yes, can hear when idling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.i cant hear it in person at an idle on the video it almost sounds like something. Im getting split responses. Half of the people think its valves and the other half thinks its rod bearings. I will be running more tests to narrow it down. Anyome know of i drop the oil pan if i can check my rod bearings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts