Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from somebody that is familiar with fuel/water separator. Here is my long winded dilemma, just my luck...

Well here is the (long) story. Filled up the tank with gas (petrol for those on the other side of the pond) on the 21st. Didn't ride for a few days due to the weather here in MI. When I started the bike after it not running for a few days I noticed it would barely run. I went from it running perfectly with no misses, knocks, pings etc, to running like crap. Wouldn't idle and would miss ocassionally at steady speed and also die ocassionally while coming to a stop. My idle was perfect before all of this as well as the engine performance from idle to red line. I noticed it ran worst the first time I started (because all the water settled to the bottom of my tank). Once I rode a few miles the performance did improve somewhat at idle but still the occasional miss at a steady highway speed of around 60-65 mph, and again it would die occasionally when I would come to a stop, or when it would come to idle.

Long story short it was the damn gas I got on the 21st at a local Speedway station. I drove around all day the day I figured out what was up in an effort to burn off the water laden crap I paid 4.08 a gallon for. When my low fuel light came on i topped the tank off with the usual 93 ron/mon octane pump gas and (1) gallon of 100 octane LL AVGAS (my bike has 13.5:1 compression). My usual mix that my bike loves. It ran a little better but still the occasional miss and the engine would still die occasionally. I refilled my tank too soon. Still had almost a little less than half a tank left when I refueled (when the low fuel light came on). Now I am nearing the low gas light coming on which means it will usually take 3-3.5 US gallons total (93 and 100LL mix). I put in some dry heet brand gas line antifreeze before heading home tonight and noticed an almost instant performance improvement and it did not die in the 15 miles I drove after adding the gas line antifreeze/moisture removal juice. Seemed to work. Time will tell I guess. Hate running the tank low (because I know how that destroys electric pumps) but I am going to have to do it on this tank to get all the damn water out. I am thinking of getting a filter to remove any water and filter that may be in any of my automotive fuel before adding it to my tank. Does anyone have any experience with fuel/water separators and is there a compact model that would be small enough to put in say, a backpack? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice 06330i. I like the USCGA avatar. I'm a SSgt in the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary (Civil Air Patrol). Gotta love the SAR missions! I'll keep using the heet, thanks brotha!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Your other option is to pull the tank off your bike and drain it. Then, you know you got all the [email protected] out.
and if you drain it into a glass container to see the separation, then you know not to hit up that gas station again. Pour the good stuff back in, dump the rest out. (less work for the heet to do its work)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts