Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my 05 ZX-6R gave out on me while riding on the freeway. It looks like I will be getting rid (I DID) of it in the next couple of days if everything works out. I fell in love when I first saw her, and riding her is something I will never forget, it was fun while it lasted.
That being said I am looking forward to a new bike- I am considering a Gixxer or R6, but I like the ZX-6R too (Honda is out of the question). Given my experience with Kawasaki I feel a bit hesitant in buying another Kawi. Should I be?
I've heard Kawasakis are not as good as the others I mentioned... Any of you have any suggestions or personal experiences that relate to my tragic story?

I have a question, what model is considered the most reliable ZX6R model post 05.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is plenty of motors you can find out there. Well if i was you i would stick with a ZX forget the other. Everybody and their mother has a Gixxer. Us ZX's are a small breed and know real performance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
stick it out dude. Engines are all over the place you just need to look for them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
its funny how everyone thinks their bike is way better than every other bike! mostly ppl are talking out their @ss. id stick with it man

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its funny how everyone thinks their bike is way better than every other bike! mostly ppl are talking out their @ss. id stick with it man
True, but some of those comments came from people in shops...
The reason why I gave up on my bike is because in the short time I had it gave me too many problems. The front master cylinder went out, it had engine hesitation towards the end. I think I bought a lemon, I just don't feel like putting any more money into it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how many miles are on it?
The bike had 6200 when I bought it, I put in about 1300 on it.
I can only assume the bike's first 6300 miles were some hard a$$ miles, because it's odometer was too low for so much trouble. That's what I got for buying a bike off the street.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
2009 ZX6R was dubbed the best 600 for that year (Cycle Gear magazine I think), so no, GSXR and R6 are not "better", they're just different. Your bike problems are few and far between from what I've read. My 06 ZZR600 has had ZERO major issues and that's after 33,700 miles and five and a half years of riding. Only regular maintenace has needed to be done. It sounds like you purchased someone else's problem, which unfortunately happens sometimes. Good luck on your next purchase, and I say get whatever you like, but I just don't want you to leave thinking that Kawasaki is sub-par when it's definitely not. Whoever told you that does not know their own asshole from a whole in the ground.

And how did the engine just "give out"? Engine seized? Or it just doesn't run right? You didn't really explain how the bike is unrideable or ruined. I can understand not wanting to mess with it, so like I said before, good luck on your pursuit of your next ride.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Be true to Kawasaki mate.. Gixers are like tampons, every pussy has 1.. Lol..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2009 ZX6R was dubbed the best 600 for that year (Cycle Gear magazine I think), so no, GSXR and R6 are not "better", they're just different. Your bike problems are few and far between from what I've read. My 06 ZZR600 has had ZERO major issues and that's after 33,700 miles and five and a half years of riding. Only regular maintenace has needed to be done. It sounds like you purchased someone else's problem, which unfortunately happens sometimes. Good luck on your next purchase, and I say get whatever you like, but I just don't want you to leave thinking that Kawasaki is sub-par when it's definitely not. Whoever told you that does not know their own asshole from a whole in the ground.

And how did the engine just "give out"? Engine seized? Or it just doesn't run right? You didn't really explain how the bike is unrideable or ruined. I can understand not wanting to mess with it, so like I said before, good luck on your pursuit of your next ride.
I think I bought someone else's problem too. The engine gave out when I was on the freeway as I was coasting. I heard a loud knocking noise, and the engine lost power.
It ran for a bit, but then it died on the street at 1 am. It won't start, the mechanic told me his diagnostic: broken valves that then collided with the piston.
I like Kawis especially the 07-08 model, but I'd love a new model.

It seems most people get trouble free operation from their Kawi, but I caught a bad break I guess. Keep riding bro!!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
i bet you previous owner rode it hard, didnt change oil enough, and then put a lower reading tach on there :O

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think I bought someone else's problem too. The engine gave out when I was on the freeway as I was coasting. I heard a loud knocking noise, and the engine lost power.
It ran for a bit, but then it died on the street at 1 am. It won't start, the mechanic told me his diagnostic: broken valves that then collided with the piston.
I like Kawis especially the 07-08 model, but I'd love a new model.

It seems most people get trouble free operation from their Kawi, but I caught a bad break I guess. Keep riding bro!!!
Kawi has an issue with valve retainer clips breaking at high rpm. It is something we see all the time. Of course we run at sustained high RPM for long times. While the top end on Kawis' are considered fragile, the bottom end is strong, so it is a very good platform to build off of. If you check your valve clearance and find small pieces of metal in the buckets with the shims, it is probably from the retainer.
The new GSXR-6 is well ahead in it's development. The bike has showed big speed at Daytona. The R-6 is wicked fast, but will need to make some changes to stay ahead of the pack. Kawi doesn't seem to be ready to release a new 600 yet. Does that mean they have something in the works for the future?
I'd look for an engine on line and wait to see what developes. A racer friend picked up an 07 ZX-10 engine ready to bolt in for $600 kast week. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
stick it out buddy ninja's are simply the best..........its a bummer you didnt figure it out on your own but but every brand has a lemon from time to time.........i knew nothing about bikes i researched after i bought my ninja just how sick these bikes really are good luck man

·
Registered
434 Posts
stick with Kawi i consider a lot of other bike i end the same where i started a Kawi all the other brands are like girl you have one but you always think the other one are better the only diff is big boobs,fat a** dont listen to the shops or the other guys

1 - 20 of 67 Posts