Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting on getting this 2011 ZX6R prepped for track days. Right now just keeping it basic and low budget.

When I first got it home

Started stripping off body to sell off what I can

Body off and pulled the wheels to be powder coated. Giving everything a good once over and cleaning.

Ordered up a few small parts, waiting till my old bike sells before I get the more expensive stuff. Still coming up are race bodywork, brake pads, sprockets and chain and some misc stuff

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Body work showed up today and I just did a little test fitting. I swore I would never buy Hotbodies again after the horrible set I got for my SV650, but had to keep the budget in check if I actually want to ride. So far I would say they have gotten MUCH better. Still going to have some trimming to do, but overall it seems like it is going to fit up rather well.
Next I'll work on getting it totally fitted and tying up loose ends on the wiring. Then I can start laying out the paint work. My wheels should also be back from the powder coater this weekend and I can finish the chain and sprockets. Getting there.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Looks like you got a great project going! I too came from an SV650 back in the day...they make great track bikes but you will not be disappointed with the ZX...fantastic platform once you get the geometry sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Matoo...looks like you're having better luck with your fairing set then I am on my 05'...been wrestling/modifying it all morning :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomorrow is paint day.

Building my spray booth

Moving in the first bits

First will be a round of primer, then using three different colors, the clear followed by wet sanding and buffing.
Already have my number plates made and ready to go on when she is done

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it was a busy day.
Started out picking up my wheels from my powdercoater

Then shot the primer and first color on the body work

While I waited for that to dry, I got to work on the wheels. New bearings and seals, rotors back on, 90 deg valve stems, new rear sprockets and mounted my tires

First color was dry enough for some tape and masking, color 2 going on

While that dried I cleaned my calipers, installed some sweet SBS dual carbon pads, and mounted the wheels

On to color 3. This was right before I sprayed the clear

Tomorrow will be wet sanding and buffing. Also need to get the new chain on and other odds and ends as time allows. Really starting to come together now

·
Registered
126 Posts
pretty sweet build man!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished up the last few things before the bikes first day on track. Fresh oil and filter, brake fluid and bleeding, brackets for the tip over sensor and voltage r/r, safety wire, set the sag as close as I could (can't get enough out of the forks?), and installed my stuff from PopShadowDecals.com. Also got my cheap ebay keyless gas cap installed after some modifying to make it fit.

Sorry for the crappy lighting. Going to get some pics in the light at the track next weekend. We load up the toy hauler and head out Saturday :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts