Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
I am 5'4". Bought a zx6r, slammed it and bought frame sliders. Bike is so low I can't carry a passenger without bottoming out the undertail.

Not going to lie and say I haven't dropped it...spend the money on frame sliders. You'll kick yourself later when you have to spend the 4 or 500 on new plastics if you don't.

Now that I am used to riding and comfortable on the bike, we are ready to raise it back up a bit. She will feel better with both feet as much on the ground as she can. Even if that's not the "accepted" way to ride.

Have her try a 2007 or earlier Ninja 250R. They are lower and have a softer suspension than the later year models, and she will probably be able to reach the ground.

Well times have changed a bit since I last posted and I lowered it 3inches. It was way too hard to stop without losing balance at stop signs, let well alone the unexpected. 5'1" is hard as hell being a newb

Lucky! You don't know how lucky you are! My fiancé will only ride on the back of my bike and would never consider her own bike. If she had her own bike it would be something I'd love to do together and she wouldn't be on my back about having 2 bikes and riding once we have children! Think about it, it's better than her getting upset you spend more time with your bike than you do her!

So, I've heard a lot about lowering bikes for shorter people, and I know that it changes how the bike handles (and that ideally you wouldn't do it -- or at least that's what I've heard).

But, what exactly is changed when you lower the bike, and how does it affect the bike's handling? (i.e. why wouldn't you want to lower the bike / minimize the amount it's lowered, apart from the obvious issue of hitting things with your oil pan.)

(I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I think it has a place here.)

I think the maximum lean angle is compromised. I also heard the bike becomes harder to throw around or something. I may be completely wrong though, just what I recall if I'm right.

Okay, from a short female perspective I would go with what the others have said. If she's serious and nothing is going to deter her, get her an older 250 and lower it & shave the seat IF absolutely need be and she'll learn how to ride and handle the bike at her height. I tried riding my 6r at stock height (I'm 5'3" @ 100 lbs.) and I just couldn't toe the ground or keep it up on one leg. I lowered it about 3-4 inches and everything was perfect. I've ridden with a few of the known older members here and they can verify that I ride just like anyone with a bike at stock height. I never noticed anything different about the bike's handling or cornering. I've been on some serious roads in TN (104 for those of you TN natives ;) ) that are pretty awesome.

I lowered it about 3-4 inches and everything was perfect. I've ridden with a few of the known older members here and they can verify that I ride just like anyone with a bike at stock height. I never noticed anything different about the bike's handling or cornering. I've been on some serious roads in TN (104 for those of you TN natives ;) ) that are pretty awesome.
To testify that, have you ever ridden a 600 at stock height before?

I used steel toe boots with a 2in sole for the first month or two to feel better when standing still. Now I'm sliding half way off the seat, lost balance (i sat to the left, bike went right side) a few times but didn't drop it yet at still stand.

I kept up with the guys during playtime but once my suspension got dialed in and tweaked a few times, the bike stopped hopping and bouncing around and i automatically carried more speed into the corners.

To testify that, have you ever ridden a 600 at stock height before?

I used steel toe boots with a 2in sole for the first month or two to feel better when standing still. Now I'm sliding half way off the seat, lost balance (i sat to the left, bike went right side) a few times but didn't drop it yet at still stand.

I kept up with the guys during playtime but once my suspension got dialed in and tweaked a few times, the bike stopped hopping and bouncing around and i automatically carried more speed into the corners.
Quite a bit, actually. It just wasn't happening for me. Part of the reason for me not being able to hold the bike up with a leg at a stop was also because I'm small and have short weak legs :no:

How come I haven't seen much from you on the forum? I admit I wasn't really active this summer. Winter is when i need my daily fix of bike talk.

Other question:
Do you girls under 5'5 ride much without leather pants?

I just can't stand the heat coming off the frame since my knees don't really rest on the tank, more on the lower end, almost on the frame only.

How come I haven't seen much from you on the forum? I admit I wasn't really active this summer. Winter is when i need my daily fix of bike talk.

Other question:
Do you girls under 5'5 ride much without leather pants?

I just can't stand the heat coming off the frame since my knees don't really rest on the tank, more on the lower end, almost on the frame only.
I sold my bike and kind of dropped off the forum for a while :no:

I don't ride with leather pants. I either ride with jeans, or jeans and scorpion riding pants over my jeans. My bike would get too warm for me during the heated months of the year.

Here the weather changes too much. we got like 5wks in total where it's a nice temperature without causing the bike to heat up much.

then there is too hot, even at midnight (high humidity) and then a lot of too chill in the mornings or evenings.

what's your next bike?
It's the same here, except with rain. It usually stays between 60-85* about 9 months out of the year, but it's super humid and you never can know when it's going to rain. I ride full gear regardless, but will take my liner out of my jacket and unzip the air passages for my riding pants.

One day on my work commute wearing jeans, riding pants, and jacket with liner I ended up sitting in dead stop traffic in 75* weather for 2 hours and bike heated up to 225* before I took the shoulder to an exit and went to a station to let it cool down. It was awful. I would only wear leather if it's cool outside.

Looking at getting an '09 6r or maybe another '07-08. Still looking but have a few to go see this week.

Not to jack the thread. OP have you and your GF figured anything out??

It's the same here, except with rain. It usually stays between 60-85* about 9 months out of the year, but it's super humid and you never can know when it's going to rain. I ride full gear regardless, but will take my liner out of my jacket and unzip the air passages for my riding pants.

One day on my work commute wearing jeans, riding pants, and jacket with liner I ended up sitting in dead stop traffic in 75* weather for 2 hours and bike heated up to 225* before I took the shoulder to an exit and went to a station to let it cool down. It was awful. I would only wear leather if it's cool outside.

Looking at getting an '09 6r or maybe another '07-08. Still looking but have a few to go see this week.

Not to jack the thread. OP have you and your GF figured anything out??
FWIW, I owned a Yamaha FZ6 through 25K miles.... that underseat exhaust made the experience painful in the summer time. It would have been worse in TX than it was in OR at the time.

Look for an 09 and up if you can.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.