Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

My short ass GF wants a SportBike!!! HELP!!

22K views 79 replies 57 participants last post by  trdough 
#1 ·
Long story short my girl friend is 4'10 around 100 pounds (Don't think i had to share that) and she wants to ride with me (sports bike).

We've tried Kawi 250 and still her legs are dangling...any suggestions from the fellas or gals on what would be the best route???:O

#77 ·
Or he could just get her a scooter & tell her it's a sport bike.
Whocanitbenow can print em up some Ninja stickers for it. Something like ZX100 Ninja ...???

#10 · (Edited)
My girl has her hobbies and I have mine. Canyon and track riding is my time to get away. With that being said, see if you can find an older 250 to start her on. The bikes are light and cheap to fix once it gets dropped. Take your time and teach her the right way. Teach her the basics like: friction zones and things of that nature. You may even want to look into a MSF course for her. This will give her a solid base of knowledge. Also make sure she understands the dangers involved in riding. Also stress to her that both feet don't have to touch the ground. Dani Pedrosa is pretty short for a GP bike and he does pretty good.

Attachments

#11 ·
Buy a little ninja 250 (i say kawi cuz parts are plentiful) and throw on some lowering links, do some rear work, and take the seat to an place that can shave some of the foam out of it to make it a little lower (so you don't have to make such huge changes to geometry). Then from there put bar sliders and spools on it. The MS course will teach her a lot about how keeping one foot up is actually a good thing. From there I would just have her practice putting the KS down, dismounting, and walking the bike backwards and things like that. It's only a motorcycle, worst that can happen is you have to fix it. So make sure she has plenty of practice before she does anything to crazy since it's a bit harder to find replacement parts for people.

#15 ·
My wife had her SV650 dropped and inch and three quarters. Works out well for her. I've also heard of Ninja 250's being dropped two inches. That's about as short as you are going to get on a sport bike.

The Buell Lightning has the shortest seat height of any sport bike ... I certainly regard naked bikes as sport bikes and that's what the Buell Lightning is. 29 inch seat height, stock. They are no longer in production but you can find them on CraigsList ... I think they look cool.

Good luck!

#24 ·
Same here. I had this pair of awesome Doc Martens that I wore for the longest time because I refused to lower my bike. Those things held up so well. Although, I did have to adjust my shift linkage to accommodate the taller toe.

Once I got confident in supporting the weight, I switched to my Sidi boots. I still really only get the toes to touch when I'm in my gear (can't bend my ankles), but I'm familiar enough with the bike, and relaxed enough with my body that I can adjust the weight accordingly and balance pretty well.

#25 ·
So it's settled right? Ninja 250 lowered 2 inches right? Shit, at 100 lbs. she could prolly accelerate down the back stretch faster than me on my zx6r. Lol

Reactions: lance22me
#34 ·
My wife is the same height. I lowered my 250 2in and she could barely tip toe on it lowered, and never became comfortable with doing one foot only.
Im thinking here it's Just Not a good Idea yes one foot is enough But 4,10 she will never be Comfy on that Bike ( and By this she might even avoid stopping even if she is in danger Coz she will be More scared of balancing the Bike )

I think it's a Tough deal

Best of luck to you and her

Reactions: lance22me
#78 ·
Wow thats so cool! I'm a 4'10" female and bought a 636. I am in the process of lowering so I can even touch LOL. I'm totally ok with not being flat footed. I took the safety course at harley davidson and that totally made feel so much more comfortable on a bike and using only one foot. They also taught us how to pick up bikes :) GIRL POWER!

#33 ·
When i'm on the liters, i normally am on my toes. Once you're used to it, its very easy to remain upright.

^ Not advisable for newb riders though. When i first started riding, i fell over with both feet on the ground. lol

#35 ·
There is a walkthrough on line, where some guy shaved and reapholstered his seat and ended up dropping the seat height a good inch or 2 on his sv, for his wife. I'll see if I can dig it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.