Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my bike at the school yesterday since it was nice, and jumped on after a short track scrimmage, and something happened that has never happened to me in all my 5 months of riding. Turned the first corner out of the high school, maybe gave it a little to much throttle, and the rear tire stepped quite a bit out from under me before I could let off the gas and straighten her out. It was actually kinda cool, seeing as I used to drift all the time in my Tbird, but got me wondering about my tires. I have Continental Conti's and the tires were cold, but has anyone else had sudden step outs like this? There was no debris on the ground since I doubled back to check for sand/salt or an oil slick, so the bike pretty much did it on its own. I'm not really worried since I did feel I was going a bit quick, but still. I should really let the tires warm up before I think about getting on it at all again, since I have noticed that they don't feel grounded till about 7-10 minutes into a ride if I'm accelerating/braking a lot.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
you could of been closer to a highside then you know bud. its happened to me a few times, but ive never exactly had the urge to crack the throttle open moaaarrr and "try and drift my bike" ill leave that to the icon guys...

heres a vid of it happening, making my bum tighten quite a bit

ignore the quality, its a cell phone, that "whooooob whooooob whoob" sound followed by after firing is me going into a speed wobble after the rear stepped out.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I thought I felt a sensation like that the other day, and wasn't sure what to think about it. I don't know if the tire actually drifted, or if it was just a perception. I do turn much better than I used to ... and I suppose my senses need to adjust to the sensation.

Cold pavement and cold tires perhaps? Do you know if the tire really did skip a bit? I consider myself novice (3rd year) so maybe that's just what the bike feels like when you reach a point where you can actually corner correctly (or almost correctly)?

EDIT: I run my tires on the higher side of pressure margins.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
i was driving out that corner rather hard tho, and it was a late afternoon session and i failed to adjust the PSI, that was what lead to my lil indicent.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last time I checked I was at about 29. I'll check next time I ride and add some if needed. I didn't actually TRY to do it lol. And no, it wasn't just a sensation, it stepped WAY out to the point of were I could have dragged my knee if I put it out :O Just let off the gas and it corrected.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It's those shit tires. My friend put them on his gsxr to save money and get more miles out of a tire and I watched his rear step out going through and intersection during the most harmless acceleration ever. We were riding for at least 45 minutes and I know his tire pressure was good, it just came down to junk tires.

If you're gonna run those, know that you can't demand high amounts of grip whenever you want it.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
It's those shit tires. My friend put them on his gsxr to save money and get more miles out of a tire and I watched his rear step out going through and intersection during the most harmless acceleration ever. We were riding for at least 45 minutes and I know his tire pressure was good, it just came down to junk tires.

If you're gonna run those, know that you can't demand high amounts of grip whenever you want it.
That'd be my guess as well.

·
Registered
715 Posts

I second this. I had Conti's on mine when I first started riding, and didn't know a lot about all that. I just wanted them cheap and high mileage. I had mine step out on me once or twice. Never pushed it too hard after that cause I knew they couldn't take too much. Stepped up to a better tire and haven't had that happen since.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
And no, it wasn't just a sensation, it stepped WAY out to the point of were I could have dragged my knee if I put it out :O Just let off the gas and it corrected.
...you do know closing the throttle is probably the worst thing you could do in that situation...right? unless of course you're trying to play bucking bronco with your bike :laugh

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My biggest slide so far happened at the track at the beginning of this video -

First Trackday @ RFR with Precision. June 8th. - YouTube

Wasn't so much scary as it was disappointing. But after talking with the tire guys I realized my PSI was way to high.
I swear to got I slid that much at like, 15 mph :laugh

Maybe the tires aren't great, but I will say it was pretty cold and I had fired the bike up two minutes prier, so it wont effect my riding to much. Be cautious for sure though

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts