Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to use this thread as a means to catalog my build of a 2013 ZX6R.

I am starting with a new, leftover 2013 as a base for my build and will be tearing into every part of the bike. The goal is to get this bike together in time for my next round of racing which is on 8/15 which doesn't sound bad except that I am not able to pick the bike up until 8/6 and then I will be traveling for business and lose 4 days. In what little time remains I need to get the bike to my tuner for a custom map, and once that is done take it to my suspension guru to have the geometry and chassis components swapped over.

So, the bike I *think* is black. Honestly I don't care as the entire bike will be painted but I requested black as it means I wont have to do as much paint work.

The plan is to pick the bike up on 8/6 and begin removing street bits. Incidentally if anyone needs any of the regular street stuff, drop me a PM and I will see if cant reach an arrangement.

Parts should start arriving Tuesday of this week in time for me to get to work late Wednesday night.

Here is the build list thus far:

Armour Bodies bodywork(sent directly to painter, I will pick this up on the way to the track and fit it trackside)
Woodcraft Clipons
Woodcraft Rearsets w/folding pegs
Woodcraft Axle Sliders
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
Woodcraft Heat Shield
Woodcraft Swingarm Spools
Woodcraft Lever Guards
Woodcraft Engine Covers L&R
Woodcraft Servo Buddy
K-Tech 25-SSK Fork Cartridges
K-Tech Fork Extenders
K-Tech 35-DDS Shock
GPR Sterring Damper
Driven Racing Blockoff Plates
Bikemaster 90 Degree Aluminum Valve Stems
Spiegler braided front brake lines
Brembo 19RCS Master Cylinder
EBC GPFA brake pads
M4 GP Mount Full Exhaust
Bazzaz Fuel/Quickshifter/Traction Control
Bazzaz Auto-Tuner
BMC Race Air Filter
K&N Oil Filters
Motul 300v Factory Oil
Vortex Front and Rear Sprocket
DID Chain
Pro-Bolt titanium race drilled caliper bolts, pinch bolts
Pro-Bolt race drilled magnetic oil drain bolt

Also ordered:
White Vinyl for number plates
Race Number decals

Once this stuff starts to arrive there will be a frenzy of action as I have to get at least the exhaust and bazzaz installed before I bring it to Dyno-Solutions for tuning.

I will be sure to post pictures as the build progresses...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Look at you go PainfullySlo! You sure like a challenge:)
No need for anymore updates or pictures, you need to focus on that build.
Good luck:colgate:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added an R6 throttle tube and some pit bull trailer restraint pins to my order, as well as new pins for my front stands.

Hopefully this will be the last of the stuff that I need to buy.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it'll be a great build.

Whereabouts in CT are you located?
Rocky Hill.

Starting to get excited. Parts are due to arrive today and I pick up the bike tomorrow...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Awesome stuff!

Have you rolled up the cost for the whole project? I know this stuff is for the love of the game and shouldn't be about the $ but I'm curious. I'm thinking it must come up to maybe $25k or so.

Good luck with the build and the racing!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome stuff!

Have you rolled up the cost for the whole project? I know this stuff is for the love of the game and shouldn't be about the $ but I'm curious. I'm thinking it must come up to maybe $25k or so.

Good luck with the build and the racing!
Oh god no, that would be bad :p

Right now I am in the ballpark of 19k with the understanding that I get a tremendous discount from my racing sponsors which makes this a little less ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Do want PICS!!!!!

Please?

Ey3

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats badass !! Definetly excited to see pics and keep up with this build :yumyum:. And good luck racing as well :bigthumb:
Thanks! I appreciate the interest...

No bike pics yet but I did get a little love package from my sponsors at Woodcraft today...

With all these goodies inside!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Subscribed

I live vicariously through others.
:sigh:
Interesting choice of words. My personal motto is on the back of my supporters t-shirts

:sigh:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

I picked up my bike from Scott at Souhegan Valley Motorsports yesterday. I really can't overstate what an awesome guy he is. Not only did he give me a great price, he also put the deal together in record time so that I could keep to my very tight schedule. Thanks Scott!

0 miles. I didn't even start the bike until I got home to make sure that the motor was tight, then it was shut off and pushed into the garage for an extreme makeover: racer29 edition!

...and a few hours later, she has gone on a diet!

It is SO nice to work on a brand new bike where nothing is dirty or greasy! I am also very impressed with the workmanship on this Kawasaki, everything is tidy and put together well.

Remember this oddly out-of-place heel guard on the right side of the bike? Check the first picture. I dont know why it is bare aluminum while everything else is nicely anodized or coated. Still, easily remedied and thus the first piece of powder coating for this bike is done...

20 minutes of baking later, literally <3 minutes of time invested. I LOVE being able to powder coat my own stuff!

I am hoping to have time to get to the wheels before they get all gunked up but I don't think it is in the cards.

And on the bike...

Thanks to Chris for stopping over and installing the clip-ons, this was a huge help!

Sadly I didn't receive a lot of the parts that I need so I didn't get much further than this. The entire exhaust is off, the bike is stripped down and ready for the Bazzaz install. The brakes are off the bike as the only thing that is staying are the calipers. I didn't want to install the frame sliders without the bodywork here as I don't know what modifications, if any, are needed. Basically the bike is as far as I can go without parts.

Left to do:
Install Bazzaz (waiting on parts)
Install gascap (waiting on parts)
Install Bodywork (at painters, will pick up on the way to the track and install Thursday night/Friday morning)
Install exhaust (waiting on parts)
Install sprockets and chain (waiting on parts)
Install 90 degree metal valve stems (waiting to mount race rubber at the track)
Install left side engine cover (waiting until after dyno break in and oil change)
Install pre-drilled oil drain bolt (waiting until after dyno break in and oil change)
Dyno tuned (Monday night it is going to Dyno Solutions)
Suspension installed (Tuesday morning bringing to GMD Computrack-Boston)
some safety wiring

1 - 20 of 175 Posts