Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all I just received my exhaust for my 05 636 today!

My exhaust of choice was the JTI S4 by Toce Industries. What really sold me on the exhaust was the look. It looks awesome from the pictures (and even better in person, but we'll get to that in a bit).

If you want to check out the S4, you can click the following link: JTI S4 Exhaust

Or click the following link for their main page:
jtiproducts.com/
I want this to serve as my experience and thoughts about the install/exhaust. Let it be known that I am not very mechanically inclined, but love to learn/figure things out.

THE INSTALL

In my opinion, the install was fairly easy and there was only one part I struggled with (in regards to the actual exhaust, taking certain fairings off is another story haha). So in order to get everything off, you need to remove the two side trim pieces to get to the seat (check: easy). Then you work your way through removing the tail cowl and then onto removing the oem undertail/exhaust. Once you get through all of the kawasaki parts removal, then you can move onto the JTI S4 slip-on.

**Also I should mention that the directions JTI includes walks you step by step through removing everything and then installing the exhaust. (Also had pictures depicting things when necessary)

This was helpful because I didn't have the knowledge to get through removing the fairings myself and was too excited to get the exhaust on to sit through youtube videos! Slip the midpipe onto the exhaust and then get it into place was easy, but took a few minutes to get it lined up correctly (coming from my first time doing this). Once I got the exhaust in place, it was time to put on the screws that hold the exhaust on. (This was literally the hardest part of the install and you'll know why in a second). So I threaded the bolts through the holes and now it was time to put the nut on the other side. This was the hardest part, because the area is small to work in. I will say that it's more than worth it, and doesn't take long once you get a good grip on the nut to thread it. After that was done, it was time to button the bike back up and I was done!

This took probably about 1.5-2ish hours to do. I bet someone mechanically inclined would've had an easier time than myself, but hey I think I did good with my skill set. The directions provided were of big help, especially with the pictures to help me out!

THE SOUND

We all know that the stock exhaust on the bikes is usually garbage in terms of tone, looks, and performance. The OEM exhaust gives a higher sound and is HEAVY. Even though I've read how much of a difference it made, it never really hit me until I held the two and physically felt the difference. The OEM felt like a sack of bricks compared to the lightweight billet aluminum JTI exhaust. I did film a quick video with my gopro so I could show it off to you guys, and I really wish there wasn't snow/ice on the ground so I could get an "in action" video up (but that will come when I physically can ride, because I'm dying to take her out right now).

Link to the video (not sure how to embed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhkE0W0Uz7Y

The sound quality for the video isn't that great because of the gopros integrated mic, but it'll have to suffice until I get my new set up! As you can hopefully hear, it gives the bike a great deep tone. When I fired it up for the first time after install, my jaw hit the floor. This exhaust took my meek sounding 636 and turned it into the beast that I knew laid in wait.

THE PICTURES

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very sweet nice i like it
It is awesome! I really am bummed that I can't go ride my bike right now. The driveway and street and covered in ice/snow hah

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks and sounds awesome! Do you mind me asking how much it cost? I'd love something like that for my '08

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does it blow equally out of all four? Or mostly just the far right one?
It blows equally. The gas enterters through the right and hits a plate that forces the exhaust to travel into the entire Exhaust!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links guys. They are great looking units
They really are great looking! I was originally going to get the s2 exhaust (because the s4 hadn't been posted yet), but when I went back to browse it was there. The only logical option was to get the badass quad-pipe exhaust. So glad I made that choice. Not only does it look badass, it also sounds badass to match!

Love my 6 :hump6

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VERY sweet exhaust, and I love the sound.

But dude...your pants...
Those would be flannel pajama pants lmfao. I spent a good amount of time in my freezing garage and was trying to warm up haha. :O

As to the exhaust, I love it. The only thing that is killing me is not being able to take the bike out on the streets and giving it a proper test. To much damn snow up here and we just keep getting more each week. Hoping for a nice day soon so I can get the bike out and get the front tire leak issue straightened out (not sure if the front rim was mounted just right).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the note of that exhaust I personally like the s2 sound a bit better but looks wise the s4 blows that thing out of the water my only suggestion is get a Mjs header I know after I put my pinebox on it was nice sounding but after doing a cat less header it got deeper and I was so much happier with the sound all in all sweet bike looks good

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the note of that exhaust I personally like the s2 sound a bit better but looks wise the s4 blows that thing out of the water my only suggestion is get a Mjs header I know after I put my pinebox on it was nice sounding but after doing a cat less header it got deeper and I was so much happier with the sound all in all sweet bike looks good
I'll probably change that out sometime in the future. Somewhat poor full time college student. I saved the money for the exhaust for over a month ahaha

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the price is the only thing that's unattractive about that exhaust, IMO.
The price isn't that bad considering other slip ons on the market. Hell, getting a two brothers or yoshi that looks decent will run you more money than what I paid. Plus I have something on my bike that isn't really around much yet. I can safely say I'm one of maybe a handful of people that have one of these on my bike. I'd rather spend a little bit more and meet my tastes versus going with a yoshi (which I'm not a big fan of the sound), two brothers vale (more expensive) or other options which I wasn't a fan of the look.

I got the best of both worlds with this exhaust. Looks and sound :devious

To each their own though. Everyone has their own tastes and I was willing to pay a little to meet mine :D

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I agree with you on looks. Everything for the 05/06 looks terrible imo. Almost like the exhaust was the last thing designed on it and they thought to put it under the tail because they have a little room. The JT looks good under there as my yoshi looked ridiculous. Now my '08 seems to fit the under tail exhaust perfectly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you on looks. Everything for the 05/06 looks terrible imo. Almost like the exhaust was the last thing designed on it and they thought to put it under the tail because they have a little room. The JT looks good under there as my yoshi looked ridiculous. Now my '08 seems to fit the under tail exhaust perfectly.
I agree there. It was most definitely like the exhaust was last on the docket. All of the other exhausts look terrible or stick so far out past the tail that it makes me want to puke. I wanted to get something that complemented the bike and it's already aggressive lines. With the exhaust terminating just barely past the end of the tail, it gives it a real mean look without destroying the natural looks of the bike. Later years probably noted the problem and made some design tweaks to accommodate it better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll probably change that out sometime in the future. Somewhat poor full time college student. I saved the money for the exhaust for over a month ahaha
I've been there well when you do get the money for it you are going to have a whole new appreciation for your bike

1 - 20 of 43 Posts