Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
9,949 Posts
Yeah I agree, I think it’s nuts. I think they have a 110% rule for qualifying, or 115. Can’t remember for sure. I think it needs to be reduced because it’s a shit show with so many riders and it’s 2-waves. Leaders start lapping people after only like 6-7 laps and it’s a 57-lap race lol

What’s the MA Supersport limit for qualifying? Is it 110%?

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I agree, I think it’s nuts. I think they have a 110% rule for qualifying, or 115. Can’t remember for sure. I think it needs to be reduced because it’s a shit show with so many riders and it’s 2-waves. Leaders start lapping people after only like 6-7 laps and it’s a 57-lap race lol

What’s the MA Supersport limit for qualifying? Is it 110%?
That's a good question. It's either 107 or 110% I think.

·
Registered
629 Posts
So, I get the 200 is an iconic race, and I do think it's cool that a lot of guys want to do it for the experience, BUT, I think it is abolutely insane that they let riders who are 15 SECONDS PER LAP slower in a 200 mile race, at a professional event! It's unsafe. At AFM round 1, Brice Prince was in the 1:44-45 range and even the first 7-8 novices were less than 15 seconds slower with a sub 2:00 lap time lol.
It's a bit unfair to compare lap times at Daytona from just the time alone. How long is the track?

A pace that is 15 seconds slower than the winner at Daytona is a hell of a lot faster of a pace than someone that's 15 seconds slower than someone at a short track (Roebling Road comes to mind).

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's a bit unfair to compare lap times at Daytona from just the time alone. How long is the track?

A pace that is 15 seconds slower than the winner at Daytona is a hell of a lot faster of a pace than someone that's 15 seconds slower than someone at a short track (Roebling Road comes to mind).
That's a fair point, but I'd argue a lot of daytona is on the banking at WOT in a tuck for a good percentage. Only stretch like that at Buttonwillow is the short front straight.

Looks like a 200 mile race divided by 57 laps gives a track length of 3.5 miles. Buttonwillow's website just gives the "combined" track length of 3.1 and since the configuration AFM runs is just a touch shorter I'd say Buttonwillow is maybe 2.9-3.0 miles

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To answer the questions, since I read most of the AMA publications lol

It’s 108% of fastest qualifying lap for supersport

And it doesn’t matter what points are assigned in the club race, the AMA assigns their own points. 20 for 1st place and goes down from their. I’ll just link you
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/DesktopModules/EasyDNNNews/DocumentDownload.ashx?portalid=3&moduleid=3004&articleid=12&documentid=499

Competitor Information | MotoAmerica Registration
You're the man broski!

·
Registered
629 Posts
That's a fair point, but I'd argue a lot of daytona is on the banking at WOT in a tuck for a good percentage. Only stretch like that at Buttonwillow is the short front straight.
Exactly my point, so if a slower rider is 3-5 MPH slower going through the chicane than the front pack, times that over the distance of the banking and how long they are WOT...how much does that add up to? We're not even discussing the front pack running built-specifically-for-Daytona motors and the guys in the back (that are legit slower, no doubt) also trying to do the same thing on a tired, bone stock motor...not running MR12.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We're not even discussing the front pack running built-specifically-for-Daytona motors and the guys in the back (that are legit slower, no doubt) also trying to do the same thing on a tired, bone stock motor...not running MR12.
Have you been in my bag of tricks lately ?? :coocoo

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Exactly my point, so if a slower rider is 3-5 MPH slower going through the chicane than the front pack, times that over the distance of the banking and how long they are WOT...how much does that add up to? We're not even discussing the front pack running built-specifically-for-Daytona motors and the guys in the back (that are legit slower, no doubt) also trying to do the same thing on a tired, bone stock motor...not running MR12.
Ok, I'll buy it:)

Maybe the correlation to novice riders I made is unfair, but I still think they should have a cutoff. 108% would be 1:58ish

Have you been in my bag of tricks lately ?? :coocoo
Lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
that's awesome! I hope you guys make a play for it at Laguna. I'm planning on being there at least Saturday and Sunday so it would be great to see you out there with the big names!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
AFM Round 2-

What a weekend! I'm still so pumped.

Race 1: 600SS - got a great start, made a couple fun passes on the first lap (I think I was in 4th) and then they red flagged it. Didn't get as good of a start on the re-start, which made me anxious to make up time. Made some pretty aggressive but safe passes which I was really happy with but by the time I made my way through the pack, the top 5 were gone already. Ended up finishing 6th. Here's a little video I made of those first two laps

Race 2: Formula 1 - 2nd place baby! And set my new fastest time 1:47.7! (My best last month was a 1:50.4) Finished behind Cory Ventura. Kid is fast! Couldn't quite hang with his 46s. Towards the end of the race my bike started having big issues cutting out. I was so surprised I didn't get passed for second place because I felt like a sitting duck.

Race 3: 600SS - I thought that my quickshifter was acting up and causing the bike to cut out, so I switched out the sensor before the race. Went out for my race and 2 laps in the bike was cutting really badly again. I ended this race with a DNF unfortunately. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of either getting hit or the bike lurching so badly that I crash. Some people were thinking fuel pump, but if it were the fuel pump it would be happening all the time, not just half way through the races. I'm thinking maybe an electrical connection issue to the fuel controller possibly.

I also some geometry changes this round from recommendations by Derek Keys. Thanks to him my bike felt incredible all weekend.

Looking forward to Thunderhill. I've never been so I'm excited for the challenge to get up to speed at a new track quickly.

Here's my full Forumula 1 race. If you get bored just watch the first lap and then skip to lap 4 when we hit a TON of lappers! I was super anxious to make my way through them (poor guys lol) because I knew I had fast dudes behind me. It's hard to tell but by the last lap my bike is cutting so badly I thought for sure I'd get passed for 2nd. I'll also put together a compilation video of the best action of the weekend this week.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Made my first ever press release!

"Both Ortt and Debise would sit out the Formula One race later in the day, allowing Ventura to take the victory in that race from Daniel Riser, who ran a new personal best of 1:47.7, dropping nearly three seconds from his best lap time during Round One. That made all the difference as third-place man Kaleb De Keyrel finished just 0.6 second back in third place at the end of six laps."

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/afm-jayson-uribe-rides-honda-cbr1000rr-to-three-victories-at-buttonwillow/?fbclid=IwAR20WnheRftlnzbVYhGl1XYiKrwExIpifqP6XRQvlykCVvL8A36VoBNdBwA

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What's up guys!
@sbk1198 messaged me and reminded me to come back and update my thread.

Last weekend was AFM Round 4 at Thunderhill and it was a HOT one! It was my first time ever at this track so I was pretty nervous about getting up to speed. Friday was pretty rough between learning the track and sorting out a bunch of bike problems. Turns out my QS sensor was shorting out, which was the cause of my bike surging. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement.

Anyways, weekend turned out pretty awesome. Ended up with a second place!! Also had a P5 and a DNF (little oopsie over the hill in T5 at the end of the day. Almost a freebie since there was basically no damage). I ended up getting into pretty consistent 1:53s with my best being a 53.4 I think. I'm super stoked but honestly still not satisfied. I want more and only want to train that much harder. I'm happy, but still expected a little more pace from myself.

The highlight of the weekend by far was the Roadracing World article from the weekend. I was in it! Here's the excerpt and a link to the article.
The closest 600 race of the weekend was Formula 1. Debise and the Graves Motorsports team chose to sit this one out. The top three riders were all lapping within two-tenths of one another, and things stayed close all race. Berto Woolridge would take the win on his Yamaha R6, over Thunderhill debutant Daniel Riser. Riser mastered the track on his first weekend and thoroughly impressed on his Kawasaki ZX-6R, adding to his success early in the season at Buttonwillow. Third place was taken by XS Racing rider Nick Lundqvist, who beat out Samuel Gluss for his first-ever Formula I podium.
https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/afm-andrew-lee-takes-formula-pacific-victory-at-scorching-thunderhill-raceway-park/

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Feels like I'm talking to myself on here sometimes lol. Hopefully some of you enjoy the thread and following along with my crazy racing endeavours.

I've never really had a good solution for the regulator. The wiring harness is so short on the side of the bike it's really difficult to mount it anywhere so I finally relocated it under the tail. It will get MUCH more air than in the side of the fairing, and it'll be out of the way. I made myself an aluminum bracket and had to extend the wiring harness to get it to reach. Soldered the wires and housed them in sheathing. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

·
Director of Moderation
9,949 Posts
Feels like I'm talking to myself on here sometimes lol. Hopefully some of you enjoy the thread and following along with my crazy racing endeavours.
Don't worry about it, we still read it ;)

That location seems ok, I've seen a few others who have 2013+ ZX6R's relocate it there. As long as the fender is on it should be fine. On bikes with no rear fender it would get all covered in rubber (and water when racing in the rain).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts