Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys-it's been a while! I stopped checking into this forum for a while but my buddy @dazo encouraged me to re-visit it.

I thought I'd start a fresh thread for this year's racing endeavors. Some of you might remember my Novice thread from last year. I made the jump to expert late in the season and had an initially rough time. I crashed a couple of times and really had to regroup and collect myself. This year I've been working harder than ever training and am really excited to see what happens.

I also decided to branch out from just racing WERA and race with AFM; one of the most competitive racing orgs in the country. Needless to say, the first round did not disappoint! I've literally never seen such packed racing grids!

For my 600 races, I was gridded by points, and since I had none I started P31 and P20. My Forumla 1 race had qualifying practice though which was awesome since I'd never qualified before. Ended up qualifying P2 on the front row!!

Results:
600 superbike - Started P31 finished P10
F1 - started P2 finished P2
600 superstock -started P20 finished P9

Here's a few pics and a short video I threw together. Had such a blast and enjoyed getting to meet lots of new people including our very own @Gawernator (he makes an apprearance in the video too). I aboslutely can't wait for the next round in a few weeks! Anyways guys, please like and subscribe and follow me on IG @riserman. Maybe it'll help me get real sponsors eventually lol.

Freshies for qualifying!

Qualified P2!!

Cheers to a great weekend

Definitely did not expect to walk away with a podium. Was so stoked.

Little compilation video

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thread, I will have to check our your novice thread as I am trying to get into racing myself.

What do you do for practice?
Thanks man. Here's the link to my old thread https://www.zx6r.com/racing/104050-riserman-s-2018-novice-racing-season.html

That's awesome you're trying to get into racing! If you have any questions I'm happy to help. Lots of other experienced guys here as well.

I'm staff at a local track day org TrackXperience, so I ride there and I also try to supermoto whenever I can. I'll have to find a fun little video I made from supermoto training a few weeks back.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,358 Posts
Nice work man, good luck with the season

Reactions: ninjaman89

·
Director of Moderation
10,020 Posts
Nice! I like these threads. You've come a long way in a very short amount of time!

Oh and I thought @Gawernator was big time MotoAmerica racer now, but you came from way back and passed him with ease :p Sounds like you should run a couple of MA rounds too!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Nice! I like these threads. You've come a long way in a very short amount of time!

Oh and I thought @Gawernator was big time MotoAmerica racer now, but you came from way back and passed him with ease :p Sounds like you should run a couple of MA rounds too!
Yeah Daniel is killing it. I rode like trash lol. Buttonwillow is my weakest track by a lot :(

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Are you doing any other AFM rounds?
Definitely. The plan is to hopefully do the first four rounds and then go from there. If Thunderhill weren't so far for me no doubt I'd just do AFM exclusively. You just can't beat the grid size/quality of racing.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Definitely. The plan is to hopefully do the first four rounds and then go from there. If Thunderhill weren't so far for me no doubt I'd just do AFM exclusively. You just can't beat the grid size/quality of racing.
You have to do Sonoma with me. And if we aren’t too broke .. the Sonoma MA round in August haha

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pretty impressive riding - a good few overtakes off line and still made them stick:bigthumb:

You have to do Sonoma with me. And if we aren’t too broke .. the Sonoma MA round in August haha
I'd love to. That weekend is noooormally when we go on vacation to the beach though soooo it's gonna take some convincing to get the lady to buy off on that lol

Also, I'd love to do MA. It's definitely on my list, but I don't think I'll be ready or have enough expert points yet. I have no desire to barely qualify and then get lapped 2/3 of the way through the race.

·
Director of Moderation
10,020 Posts

I'd love to. That weekend is noooormally when we go on vacation to the beach though soooo it's gonna take some convincing to get the lady to buy off on that lol

Also, I'd love to do MA. It's definitely on my list, but I don't think I'll be ready or have enough expert points yet. I have no desire to barely qualify and then get lapped 2/3 of the way through the race.
Why not? Gives you a very good impression of how ridiculously fast some guys are! lol

I think you and @Gawernator should do the Laguna Seca round! As of now I plan on scheduling a work trip in the area around that time so I can go to the WSBK/MA event. I'll be pit bitch if you guys need any help, and I'm sure we can talk @jd41 into being pit bitch too ;)

·
Director of Moderation
10,020 Posts
How many expert points do you need to enter supersport?
I don't think it's only based on points. Otherwise even a slow dude like me could enter after a few years of accumulating points lol Meanwhile back in 2016 (I think?), Mark Rhoades skipped out on expert club races and went straight from kicking ass as an amateur to doing almost a full season in MotoAmerica. Granted he didn't qualify for like half the rounds and got lapped in the ones that he did qualify in, but still...point is it's possible, if MA gives you the green light. They might consider other things, like results so far and your lap times.

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
How many expert points do you need to enter supersport?
I’ve read the document before .... it’s all posted up publicly by class by AMA. I’ll go find it and DM you lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think it's only based on points. Otherwise even a slow dude like me could enter after a few years of accumulating points lol Meanwhile back in 2016 (I think?), Mark Rhoades skipped out on expert club races and went straight from kicking ass as an amateur to doing almost a full season in MotoAmerica. Granted he didn't qualify for like half the rounds and got lapped in the ones that he did qualify in, but still...point is it's possible, if MA gives you the green light. They might consider other things, like results so far and your lap times.
If I remember correctly, Mark raced the stock 600 class. Every class has different rules and I'm guessing that one would've been easier to get a license for.

It's all personal preference obviously, but this feels a lot like the initial discussion we had on my other Novice thread about jumping to expert lol. Do I regret bumping to expert mid-season? No. Not at all. I think it has forced me to become a better rider sooner than if I hadn't jumped. BUT, it was much harder than I was expecting and I had a really rough go for a little while there. All that to say I stand by my first statement. I don't think I'll be ready this year. Next year is a definite possibility though.

200 points within 5 years on a bike legal for the supersport class and approved by club director then ama
There ya go

·
Director of Moderation
10,020 Posts
If I remember correctly, Mark raced the stock 600 class. Every class has different rules and I'm guessing that one would've been easier to get a license for.

It's all personal preference obviously, but this feels a lot like the initial discussion we had on my other Novice thread about jumping to expert lol. Do I regret bumping to expert mid-season? No. Not at all. I think it has forced me to become a better rider sooner than if I hadn't jumped. BUT, it was much harder than I was expecting and I had a really rough go for a little while there. All that to say I stand by my first statement. I don't think I'll be ready this year. Next year is a definite possibility though.

There ya go
I don't remember for sure but I thought he did Supersport. I know Jody Barry and Jason Farrell did Supersport and they were all on the same team, all bikes built by Farrell. Nevertheless, the stock 600 class is gone now anyway.

Don't get me wrong, when I said you should do it, I never meant that you'd probably get on the podium. Gotta have realistic expectations. I just meant you should do it for the experience. Look at the Daytona 200 race. Top guys were doing 1:49s, but there were 64 riders in that race this year, with some of the guys at the back running around 2:04s. 15 second difference in pace, but they were still out there for the experience, and to say they did the Daytona 200 and raced among some of the best in the country. I think it would be cool to run some MA races even if you only finish like 20th. You get some TV time, probably improve your lap times, gain more experience, lose a bunch of money, etc...especially if you do it at Laguna Seca! :)

200 points doesn't seem that much. I don't know how AFM does their scoring, but in CCS, the top guys usually end up with around 1200-1300 points in a season with only 8 rounds. So 200 points can be had pretty quickly if you're fast.

Reactions: Gawernator

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't remember for sure but I thought he did Supersport. I know Jody Barry and Jason Farrell did Supersport and they were all on the same team, all bikes built by Farrell. Nevertheless, the stock 600 class is gone now anyway.

Don't get me wrong, when I said you should do it, I never meant that you'd probably get on the podium. Gotta have realistic expectations. I just meant you should do it for the experience. Look at the Daytona 200 race. Top guys were doing 1:49s, but there were 64 riders in that race this year, with some of the guys at the back running around 2:04s. 15 second difference in pace, but they were still out there for the experience, and to say they did the Daytona 200 and raced among some of the best in the country. I think it would be cool to run some MA races even if you only finish like 20th. You get some TV time, probably improve your lap times, gain more experience, lose a bunch of money, etc...especially if you do it at Laguna Seca! :)

200 points doesn't seem that much. I don't know how AFM does their scoring, but in CCS, the top guys usually end up with around 1200-1300 points in a season with only 8 rounds. So 200 points can be had pretty quickly if you're fast.
So, I get the 200 is an iconic race, and I do think it's cool that a lot of guys want to do it for the experience, BUT, I think it is abolutely insane that they let riders who are 15 SECONDS PER LAP slower in a 200 mile race, at a professional event! It's unsafe. At AFM round 1, Brice Prince was in the 1:44-45 range and even the first 7-8 novices were less than 15 seconds slower with a sub 2:00 lap time lol.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts