Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.... My brother used to be good about wearing his gear when we go out riding but, lately he has been seriously slacking. Not to mention his new bike seems to match his new attitude.

When my brother and I started riding on the street we were both very safety conscious, grant it we thought we were the coolest kids around but, we both wore our gear, were considerate to the traffic around us and respected the power our bikes have. I had a 2004 CBR F4i and he had a 2003 ZX6R we used to ride around in the Las Vegas sun wearing our gear and neither of us had a bad word to say about how hot it was, or how uncomfortable it was.

When I came home about a month ago with the 2013 ZX6R it must have sparked something in my brother because all he was doing was talking about getting a new bike, which I was all for. His ZX6R has seen better days and it sure would be nice for the two of us to be on shiny new machines, together again--until this past Friday.

Shortly after I get home from work my brother pulls up on a 2013 R1, Toce exhaust, double bubble windscreen, the whole nine. The only protective gear he was wearing was the LV, NV required helmet. No jacket, no gloves, etc. I shrugged it off figuring that the lack of gear may have been due to the (most likely) impulsive purchase of the R1 ("too excited to go home and get my gear, I just wanna ride.."). Theeeeen we go riding yesterday and wouldn't ya know it out comes my brother; Dickies shorts, T-shirt, tennies and his helmet. I asked him where his gear was and he shrugged it off. Through out our ride I made a few more comments about his gear (or lack there of). So here I am riding around town geared to the teeth on my ZX6R with my newly Squidly brother T-shirt and shorts on the R1.

What do I do? Do I just deny his requests to ride unless he puts gear on? It is his body and his choice but I do not want to be witness to the ground beef that will be my brother in the unfortunate situation that he does go down. I need some advice! :O

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
ride with him, but just ask him subtle questions like, "What brand of gloves do you think I should go with next" or, "I'm getting a new one piece soon, you wanna come with and try some on?" ...

·
Registered
394 Posts
ah man I was waiting for GSXR not an R1. Anyway, I doubt anything you tell him is going to change his mind. It is something that he wants to do. Forcing someone to do something they do not want to never really pans out. Sure you can give the shot of "gear up or ride alone" a shot but if hes stubborn he's just going to ride alone. You can try showing him pictures of what happens to body parts versus hard ground. Possibly talk to him like an adult and see if he's receptive. Good luck and hope it all works out.

Reactions: ZxRican and JDG636

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Talk to him about it and try to get him to choose wearing his gear.

If not, don't ride with him. That is a sign of support for your stance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will talk with him first then tell him to gear up or ride alone. Here's another thing I don't get; When we first started riding on the street we both got popped at about 3 am for 112 in a 65. The only car out that night was of course the cop that got us. The judge ordered us to go to the coroners office as "punishment" on top of our hefty fines. There was more than one motorcycle accident at the coroner and hundreds of photos from previous incidents...it's not like he is unaware of what the asphalt does to the dermis. Hell, we rode BMX in high school and have both had our share of rash from that! I will have "the talk" with him today and update you all. I sure hope he is at least some what receptive.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Alright, the question that needs to be asked...is he younger than you or older than you? Cuz that will change the entire dynamic of how you approach the situation! Seriously tho, a lot of it depends on your relationship with your brother. If it were me, I'd invite him to go do something that involves alcohol and not much else (proably grill out and bonfire) and have a frank conversation with him about it then. That's just me tho and your situation and relationship with your brother may be (probably is) different from mine :O

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
We're the same age, 23, he is my step-brother. I will offer up a game of cards and a beer tonight and see how it goes.
Good plan - I'll hope for the best for you :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Alright, the question that needs to be asked...is he younger than you or older than you? Cuz that will change the entire dynamic of how you approach the situation! Seriously tho, a lot of it depends on your relationship with your brother. If it were me, I'd invite him to go do something that involves alcohol and not much else (proably grill out and bonfire) and have a frank conversation with him about it then. That's just me tho and your situation and relationship with your brother may be (probably is) different from mine :O
For a school teacher, you really must have some fun eh? lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
A friend is one thing but a brother is diffrent...if it were my brother I would not stop calling him a complete dumbass till he put on some gear....zap his arm wit a belt sander, laugh and say "you think that fuckin hurt?"
lol yep, zap him with a belt sander real quick and I guarantee you he'll change his tune. :laugh

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
He's your brother so I wouldn't even ride with him unless he wears gear. It's not some squid on the street where you just shrug. If he wore gear at one point he knows why he should. Show him a couple of the pics I've seen on here of people getting their hands or feet degloved in slow crashes and that will change his tune I'm betting.

Lol 1 picture of someone's destroyed foot last week and I haven't been on my bike without full boots since. He just needs to realize that road rash is every bit as bad as a third degree burn over the areas that it effects.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just reading some of the stories on here made me run out and get my gear.

I enjoy my adrenalin rush, but sometimes it's not with it. I'd rather be safe then have my kids see me in a casket. I hope your able to change his mind. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just reading some of the stories on here made me run out and get my gear.

I enjoy my adrenalin rush, but sometimes it's not with it. I'd rather be safe then have my kids see me in a casket. I hope your able to change his mind. Good luck bro.
Well, If I were an older man I'd rather be in that casket than see my kid in one.

That being said... find whatever gear you don't use and hang it all over your bro's bike. Anything to get his attention.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts