Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my second post about this i have a 95 zx6r and about 3 weeks ago it would not start. The starter spins like a top but it doesnt turn the engine over so i did some checking and my starter clutch was pretty hammered so i ordered a new on got it in the bike and THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING!!! I dont know what else it could be. With the cover off i can see the starter turning the idler gear and that turn the big gear on the shaft but it wont catch to turn over any ideas before i get mad and break something :O

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is fuel blocked?

Remove and flush taNk

Check fuel filter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean is it flooded no your not understanding that the bike does not turn over the starter spins but thats all never turns over like it wants to start

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
is the starter engaging onto the splines right to turn the engine ove
r have you tried to bump the bike down a hill ?
if its not engaging either thats buggerd to or the teeth on the other part are goosed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the starter engaging onto the splines right to turn the engine ove
r have you tried to bump the bike down a hill ?
if its not engaging either thats buggerd to or the teeth on the other part are goosed
i can push start it no problems and all of the teeth are meshing fine everything is spining like it should it just will not turn the bike over and i am lost with what else it could be maybe starter isnt spinning fast enough does anyone know what the amp draw should be from the starter?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
youll know if its not spinning fast enough mate
it should wizz round if its sluggish then maybe your batterys dead or on its way out
pull a plug lead off and stick an old plug in it to see if you got a decent spark when its trying to spin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starter wizzes like a top but the engine does not turn over this is hard to explain i may just need to take a video of it and post it tommrow when i tear the case off again or some pictures might help too i would guess

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
sounds to me theres something missing lose in the engine department
take vid hope we all can help
sounds nasty ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no not at all its like the new starter clutch just isnt catching the crankshaft its just spinning around im so confused i thought it was just going to be the starter clutch but it did nothing

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
get the vid made mate
well have a look
cheers mtp

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When diagnosing check the following

Fuel - Spark - Air.

Has the bike been sitting? Carbs gummed up? Sorry, I didn't see ur first post so these might be re-asked questions. You prolly should have just continued on that thread.

Check the spark with each plug grounded to frame while starting.

I kinda doubt you're having an air delivery problem, but it doesnt hurt to check the air box for obstructions

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm sorry that nobody is understanding your problem, hell I got frustrated just reading the thread and its not even my bike that's broken!

Is it possible that the starter clutch got installed backwards? I'm not familiar with that particular part on that model, but if it is a one way clutch, which it should be, and it was installed backwards, it'll spin but it won't turn the engine.

Just to clarify the OP's problem, the starter spins, the crank shaft does not. Checking fuel and spark are a waste of time because his problem is that the crankshaft does not even turn. He's not going to get spark because the ignitor is not getting any signal.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
its a strange one he gets it started pushing it

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you can bump start the bike its either dodgy starter motor or missing teeth hence its just spins

If it bumps theres nothing wrong with the crankshaft

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just to clarify the OP's problem, the starter spins, the crank shaft does not. Checking fuel and spark are a waste of time because his problem is that the crankshaft does not even turn. He's not going to get spark because the ignitor is not getting any signal.
missed that part. i was half awake wen i made that post lol...maybe next time i'll wait

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, I'm no mechanic so this may not help: If you remove the 'idle gear' the 'clutch gear' should rotate with hand pressure clockwise but not anti-clockwise, if it rotates anti-clockwise by hand then [I guess] the clutch isn't engaging.
Whether this means that the new clutch is faulty as well......I don't know, seems unlikely.

I hate when stuff like this happens!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a way for you to verify that when the starter spins its turning the flywheel? If its spinning the flywheel then the starter isn't your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
had a issue with my quad come to find out i had hooked my battery up backwards and the starter was spining backward just a thought lol

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Get your battery checked!!! I just had a similar problem... Not enough amps to turn the bike over so i bought a new battery and viola problem solved!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts