Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 05 636 from my store and have been driving it around with no problems really...I do have one concern though. Seems when I'm idling or going slow for a bit (ie. driving in parking lots around the mall) and the bike gets to around 230 degrees, the bike leaks a good deal of coolant...its happened twice now...it doesn't leak ALL the coolant out, just a bit then stops. Anyone know what the problem may be? or if its not a problem at all? I have a 3 year warranty on it so getting it fixed if I have to wont be a problem...

Just a note, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the bike has around 8500 miles.

Thanks!

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
....my bikes never gotten to 230 degrees. seems kind of steep.
my radiator fan comes on at 218...and i've reached 230 a few times...

make sure the hose to your radiator and water pump is tight as well as the cap..like someone said...if it's under warranty just make it their problem if it's not something simple like those. u don't want it leaking

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
take it to the shop.. my mate had a prob like that and emptied the radatior out and all mlost cooked the motor

·
Registered
590 Posts
sounds like your coolant is boiling over. means that the coolants boiling point is too low which if it is old, could be the case or you have a problem with your fan not coming on or the thermostat isnt opening.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Radiator fan not coming on. Check the switch and wiring.
Check the fan by connecting the 2 wires that go to the connector on the switch and the fan should come on. If it does than the switch is suspect. You can test the switch by removing it, connecting a multimeter set on resistance to the 2 connections and drop it (keep the connections dry) in boiling water. If it's OK the meter should go to 0 if it's digital or to max if it's a needle type.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Now look at this I googled this problem I am having with my bike and it brought me home. Lol. So a new radiator cap and flush the fluid or at least what is left and if that doesn't solve the problem then out comes the thermostat and a new one. My bike never clears 223 degrees and the fan turn on at or around 210 degrees. Any other info is always welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
Make sure you burp the system when you flush it. bring it up to temp without the radiator cap on. Might have air in the system

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Make sure you burp the system when you flush it. bring it up to temp without the radiator cap on. Might have air in the system
Yeah that was the first thing I did. I was hoping that was the problem. But of course it wasn't something that easy. :doh: But on the bright side there isn't any water in the oil. So it isn't a real issue yet and it will be fixed before it becomes one. I am going to do the thermostat, change the rad cap, and flush the entire system and put in some fresh new fluid and hope that solves it. I am starting to think the thermostat is stuck , so changing it will clear my mind on that issue. Thanks man!! :rockon:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolent leak at high temp

How did you get it fixed? Beacuse i am having the same problem you had.

In this fourm people are saying different opitions.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
^
Welcome to the site, nice first post :rolleyes
Seriously though, I had the same problem and pulled my thermostat out cause i don't think it was opening at right temps which causes the coolant to overheat and bubble and spill everywhere.

Bottom line check these things,
1. Is your fan turning on (and at what temps)
2. Check your Radiator cap (an improperly sealed cap throws off the pressure)
3. Check your thermostat (if its not opening at right temps it will cause the coolant to overheat)
4. Also check for obvious leaks and all in the hoses.

Reactions: groomlake

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^
Welcome to the site, nice first post :rolleyes
Seriously though, I had the same problem and pulled my thermostat out cause i don't think it was opening at right temps which causes the coolant to overheat and bubble and spill everywhere.

Bottom line check these things,
1. Is your fan turning on (and at what temps)
2. Check your Radiator cap (an improperly sealed cap throws off the pressure)
3. Check your thermostat (if its not opening at right temps it will cause the coolant to overheat)
4. Also check for obvious leaks and all in the hoses.
ZX6ixxr's post is very good advice (So are the others). When faced with a mech problem, I always sit and stink. I mean sit and think! Then I make a simple flow chart. Flow chart you say? Yup. That's what the mechanics at the dealer/ shops do (actually they have flow charts in the service manuals to follow...)
Using ZX6ixxr's list.... I'd... First, find a service manual (there's some here on the Forum) and find out what the operating temperature is supposed to be, what the fan trigger is supposed to be and what the thermostat opening temp is supposed to be. You kinda need to know that info.
Eliminate the Yes or No things, starting with those things that don't need a predicate problem to rear their ugly head. Then start with the complex symptom list items. So...
1. Check for where it's been leaking, because regardless of what the root problem is, you are gonna' have to fix that later. Reason? Coolant has a lubricant, and once it starts leaking, that "lubrication quality" means the seal integrity is lost. Then...
2. Put her on a stand if you have one, and grab a flashlight.... Fire her up!! See what happens, and now you can see if (a) the fan works, and if it gets past a certain temperature, then the thermostat may be stuck. If the fan is not working, then stop, let her cool down, and solve the fan problem.
3. Assuming the fan works, or you have fixed the fan problem, flush the system out, put on a new radiator cap (good maintenance tip for about every 2-3 years), and if you saw any leaks around hoses, etc., remove, clean the hose and fitting end, re-install, and... fire her up...
By this point, you've addressed the simple and the eliminated all but the complex. The only thing left is either the thermostat itself, or a coolant circulation problem. That however, is now gonna' require you either get ambitious, or break down and take it to the dealer. If you have a warranty on a bike, I strongly recommend you use it. After all, you paid for it!!
Just some thoughts from an old dude....

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Bro I just had this problem. My fan wasn't turning on at all. My 09 the temp would read hi. Then on turning it off it just pissed coolant. Just double check your only pissing from the resi. Not from a hose or radiator itself. Also if your running that hot and the fan does work flush it is what I recommend. Someone recently switched to that blue ice stuff well apparently if mixed with normal coolant it creates a kind of jell. So his shit got fucked up.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
lol.... you guys know this thread was first started in 2007 right? Hopefully the OP has figured out this coolant leak by now. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts