Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a fully charged battery, changed the starter relay, put in new spark plugs, oil and filter is still fairly new, the chips in the fuse box are still good, and all of the wires seem to still be intact. When I try to start the bike, all you can hear is the engine TRYING to turnover. I'm not sure what is wrong with it. Could it be the carborater or something wrong in the engine itself? It is a naked streetfighter zx6r if that helps in finding what type of problem I have.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Make sure the choke is all the way out, make sure you have good fuel, and check the fuel petcock that its in the ON position. After that, either you get it to turn over after a while (mine used to take forever after storage), or you have a different problem. Fuel, Air, Spark.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
"TRYING" to turn over is not turning over.

So you push the starter button and it does what?

IS the engine actually turning over but not firing?
firing but not starting?

Or not turning over at all

Fully charged battery as in- you know it is a good battery and it would load test as a good battery
135CCA and hold above 12v even when cranking over the engine, have a static charge of above 12.75v (12.5V is a half dead battery)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Brandon35 I tried that but no luck

@riverszzr The engine is turning over but not firing is what I meant to say. I didn't know how to describe it. For the battery, it's a new battery. I charged it just incase it was the battery causing the problem.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it is any good... Does it sound like it is cranking at full speed (have you had it running before or a new to you bike)

kill button on? as in--are you getting spark?

are you getting fuel?..........certainly it could be plugged up carburetors, but you haven't supplied enough information to make any determination of narrowing it down from countless possibilites

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take the tank off and inspect the carbs. Change the plugs and see if that fires her up. Plugs will be easy once the airbox is off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaah.. when it was running before, I couldn't seem to get past 6rpm. There was no Rev limiter on it.

I am getting spark.

I'm not sure if fuel is going through. I checked if any of the tubes had a knot but other than that I do not know how else to check if the fuel is going through the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@alex k- to remove the tank, I would have to drain out all the fuel correct? Just asking to see if draining the fuel is something I would need to do or wouldn't need to do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not necessarily. Just turn the petcock to off and remove it. I'm not to familiar with the 97's. Rivers is like a walking talking encyclopedia i'm sure he'll know exactly what does what ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts