Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Second reason I think it's clutch related is because 2nd gear is pretty torquey compared to other gears so maybe it is more susceptible to some slippage? Idk if that's sound logic but I'm hoping.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
first has the most torque....... Second has a thinner engagement due to the gap needed for neutral; my guess would be that any odd behavior is related to that, rather than actual slippage. Especially if you only feel it in second.

Clutch slippage generally occurs in the highest gears, where the rear wheel is exerting maximum pressure relative to the engine. Longer gearing results in less mechanical advantage with respect to the crankshaft. When the crank wants to move the output shaft further with each revolution, it takes more torque to do so under equal load.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So, the issue could be the dog engagement? I have literally NEVER bumped into neutral from second even on severe cases of my acceleration jolts/slips. I measured tolerances, checked the dogs, etc and have found NOTHING that would cause me to believe it's a tranny problem.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The old tranny I was using, prior to the gear tooth ripping off, was smooth as silk in 2nd and I found that those dogs were pretty worn

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
The dogs of the gears aren't likely to be the issue, I would expect that the selector forks, or the shifter drum may have the wear that is causing the issue.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
The dogs of the gears aren't likely to be the issue, I would expect that the selector forks, or the shifter drum may have the wear that is causing the issue.
I checked all those too and they were all well within spec.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Guys,

Finally made it out here to Cali. Planning has never ceased so here's what will be happening soon.

- New reserve fuel tank filter and O-rings (guess what, my tank did not have a filter inside for the reserve! Yay me). This, along with cleaning out the petcock (again) will finally give me use of my reserve again.

- Noticed that my practically brand new brake pads decided to, idk disintegrate on me? I had major scoring on the left rotor so I'm replacing both rotors and all pads.

- Critically stupid move of past me, I put Dot5 fluid in a Dot4 reservoir so I need to flush the system and hope I didn't do damage

- New EBC clutch will get installed after two oil flushes with conventional kawi 10w40.

- New hiflo oil filter

- Engine ice after a few distilled water flushes

- Once everything is done and closed up, I've be finishing up with safety wire all around again.

We'll see what happens after this for my second gear issue, but for now... fuck it lets go ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Guys,

Finally made it out here to Cali. Planning has never ceased so here's what will be happening soon.

- New reserve fuel tank filter and O-rings (guess what, my tank did not have a filter inside for the reserve! Yay me). This, along with cleaning out the petcock (again) will finally give me use of my reserve again.

- Noticed that my practically brand new brake pads decided to, idk disintegrate on me? I had major scoring on the left rotor so I'm replacing both rotors and all pads.

- Critically stupid move of past me, I put Dot5 fluid in a Dot4 reservoir so I need to flush the system and hope I didn't do damage

- New EBC clutch will get installed after two oil flushes with conventional kawi 10w40.

- New hiflo oil filter

- Once everything is done and closed up, I've be finishing up with safety wire all around again.

We'll see what happens after this for my second gear issue, but for now... fuck it lets go ride.

DOT 5 or DOT 5.1 ? I don't think I've ever even seen DOT 5 (silicon) brake fluid for sale anywhere in my life.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Guys,

- New hiflo oil filter

DOT 5 or DOT 5.1 ? I don't think I've ever even seen DOT 5 (silicon) brake fluid for sale anywhere in my life.
5.1, I shorthanded it

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
So everything has been installed now. New rotors, pads, brake fluid, oil, oil filter, safety wire. Engine Ice will go in whenever I'm ready to care about it. My second gear problem is still just as present as ever but I am tired of chasing that fucking ghost of a problem. Basically, second gear will be skipped as much as possible until I can figure something out. The symptoms defy all logic. Anyways, she's running well and all that's left for her is a reserve filter, fuel filter and new plastics. My new job just became 10,000x more ridiculous so I will be on the bike much less often.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
The work load will become more manageable with experience, and that will serve you well throughout your life. Maybe not the exact skill set; but the sure and certain knowledge that you can adapt and overcome adversity greater than you knew.

The bike looks good. When you get back on the level, revisit.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
So I decided to buy a new shift drum assembly and all new shift forks. I want to at least eliminate any chance that it's a bent fork, or tolerance issue. I know I can install them without pulling the engine so I'm going to give it a good post-college try. I also bought a new headlight bulb and a new three prong harness to splice in (old one is bent to shit).

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I wonder what the bearing assemblies look like, that the drum and forks must ride on.... Are those surfaces roller bearings, plain bearings, or what?
Drum rides on a single ball bearing on one side and metal-metal bearing on the other (not sure what that's called). The forks ride on a rod with no bearings. The new drum assembly I bought included the bearing and a new selector hub

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Flat metal facing flat metal is called a plain bearing, oil film is the bearing element..... Ball bearings self explanatory, roller bearings extend the surface area compared to a ball bearings' infinitely small point contact. Each have their place in reducing friction.

Pressure fed plain bearings are far and away more precise and durable. So long as there is a supply of oil.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Finished assembly today. The input fork was very worn but all of them showed a bit of wear on their inner faces where they touch the rotating surface. Test ride will be done soon to see if this made a difference. Cant really tell if they were bent.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Troubleshooting is quite often a process of elimination..... With mechanical systems, the wild card is the quality of workmanship of the mechanic. You're past that point, now. As it stands I would expect you are chasing wear, in an area you hadn't been already.

Good luck, to misquote Arthur Conan Doyle..... When all else has been eliminated, whatever remains - however improbable, MUST be the truth.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts