Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my 2006 last year in street trim with 18k miles and a few tasteful mods. I was able to get the seller down to $3k which is an incredible deal based on the condition of the bike. For reasons I dont want to get into, the seller really needed the bike gone. And no, it's not stolen. I have a clean title in my name :)

As I already have a Speed Triple for street duty, I immediately got to work to convert her into a dedicated track machine. Below is a list of the current modifications as well as a before and after pic. I was able to get a lot of the parts at good prices, so I listed the prices next to each one. Enjoy!

07/08 Two Bros CF slip on (installed by PO)
SuperSprox lightweight rear sprocket (installed by PO)
DID ERV3 520 gold race chain (installed by PO)
Vortex rear sets (installed by PO)
Rebuilt forks with Penske 20mm kit and sprung for my weight ($500 from track connection)
Penske 8983 rear shock ($250 on eBay, another $150 for refresh and proper spring)
Servo buddy ($30)
Jumper mod (free)
Track plastics (purchased used for $200)
Rear derlin spools ($25 on eBay)
Full coolant system flush and refill with Engine Ice (~$25)
TechSpec tank pads ($45 on eBay)
Rear brake reservoir removal / Tygon 2375 Tube replacement ($10 from Kurveygirl)
Woodcraft stator cover ($150 from track connection)
Driven SAI blockoff plates ($25 on eBay)
K&N air filter ($35 on eBay)
Woodcraft frame sliders ($75 from track connection)
Galfer braided line rear ($40 from eBay)
2007 OEM Nissin master cylinder ($215 for MC and caliper combo on eBay)
2007 OEM Nissin calipers ($215 for MC and caliper combo on eBay)
Goodridge 1-2 Pro Kit brake hose ($105 from Riders Discount)
Carbone Lorraine C59 front pads ($130 from Riders Discount)
Q2 Tires ($230 per set off Motorcycle Superstore)
OES Derlin fork sliders ($25 from eBay)
Vortex 7* 2pc clip ons ($115 from Riders Discount)
MotionPro throttle ($100 from Riders Discount)
Ladybird mount for brake reservoir ($5 from friend)
Puig screen ($65 from Riders Discount)

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Man great job!! bike looks great! did u take it out on the track yet?

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man great job!! bike looks great! did u take it out on the track yet?
Thanks dude.

Yea, I was able to get in 8 track days last season with her but it was a work in progress throughout. I actually only got in one day out there with the new suspension, and man, what a difference!

She is finally done (I say that loosely) and I cant wait to get out this year and see how she feels. My first two track days are this weekend down at NCBike and I am counting the minutes!

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice!! congrats man. i have the same year and color so seeing your track ready gives me all kinds of motivation to pour more money into my build ^_^ I'm strictly street as i commute on her everyday but eventually i'd like to retire her to track use only and convert the whole bike from the wheels up.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice!! congrats man.

I'm strictly street as i commute on her everyday but eventually i'd like to retire her to track use only and convert the whole bike from the wheels up.
Thanks, bro.

Its a great track platform and parts are readily available and can be had cheap. It has been a lot of fun building her up to this point.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh man... you've GOT to get 24396781527347442677417476454 Monster decals!! You'll do like Doc Brown and Marty when you hit 188mph!!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice shopping list.
Thanks man, not bad hey?

As per another post I made I just managed to snag a pair of 07 Nissin calipers WITH the MC (including the lever and reservoir) for around $200, so that will be on the list soon too. Couldnt pass up a price like that for the entire set.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually, this was the bike 20 months ago before it went down a few times and i was in an accident. I've since refinished the wheels back to their stock color since a lot of the powder coat was damaged. Most of the fairings are scratched too. I've even changed out to a Akropovik exhaust. I liked it more since it has such a deeper growl compared to the old Leo Vince the bike had when i first got it.

I keep saying to myself "i'll buy new fairings and redo the wheels...but then life happens and i just keep riding it with the rash. we just had our first baby in October and my wife would literally cut my brakes if i put any real money into the bike right now.

Eventually, it'll look like this again but it's far from it at the moment.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I keep saying to myself "i'll buy new fairings and redo the wheels...but then life happens and i just keep riding it with the rash. we just had our first baby in October and my wife would literally cut my brakes if i put any real money into the bike right now.
I hear ya dude, and congrats on the kid!

If you have thoughts of making it into a track bike at some point, save your money, and skip all the aesthetic enhancements. Looks wont get you around the track any faster :p

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, since I now have some time off the bike after the crash and injury, I figured I would do a little more work.

At my last track day before I was rear ended and messed up pretty good, I was noticing how much I didnt like the front 05/06 brakes. I was running a rebuilt OEM MC, Galfer braided lines, and Vesrah pads. It was much better than it was before the MC rebuild and addition of braided lines, but it still wasnt quite up to my standards. Initial grab was good and they felt consistent while on the brakes, but the transition from trail brake to on the gas didnt feel smooth which unsettled the suspension. Additionally, the lever never felt perfect which has always bugged me.

So, I went ahead and installed the 2007 OEM brake system I had purchased off eBay. I rebuilt the MC for good measure since I was unsure how many miles were on it and installed a Goodridge pro kit 1-2 brake hose as well as Carbone Lorraine C59 pads. I have not been able to go for a test ride, but I can say the brakes feel great. Shorter and crisper lever pull and the pistons just felt silky smooth when I pushed them back into the calipers. Cant wait to get back out there and give them a shot!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
What's this?:

Looks like a chain oiler, but I don't see that on the list and it seems a little odd to have one on a track bike :O

·
Registered
218 Posts
Love the build man! Looking to do something similar

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the build man! Looking to do something similar
Thanks, dude. She was an awesome bike but when she started showing signs of the dreaded 2nd gear issue, I sold her rather than doing the work to fix.

New bike is a 2010 R6. Haters gonna hate!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks, dude. She was an awesome bike but when she started showing signs of the dreaded 2nd gear issue, I sold her rather than doing the work to fix.

New bike is a 2010 R6. Haters gonna hate!
Oh no that is a bummer haha, but no problem! hope I can tackle that issue once it happens to me.

Hows the r6 coming along? Build thread?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh no that is a bummer haha, but no problem! hope I can tackle that issue once it happens to me.
I did drop the oil pan, remove the clutch cover, basket, and clutch, pull the shift rods, and install new shift forks. This helped to crisp things up, but there was additional damage to the 2nd gear dogs which would have required pulling the motor, splitting cases, and installibf a new gear or gear set. Wasnt interested with a 2006 bike with 20k miles :O

Hows the r6 coming along? Build thread?
The R6 is awesome. Dont have a build thread, but so far I have done the following:

Vortex rear sets
ETI tank sliders
MotionPro V2 throttle
Aggracing smog plates
Stahlbus oil drain plug
M4 y-pipe
GYTR slip on
Bauce ECU flash
Armour Bodies track plastics
GB Racing case covers
Goodridge 1-2 superbike brake hose
Annitori RL quickshifter