4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgot to post up this thread.*

Parts needed:
2005/2006 swingarm
05/06 axle
Modified spacers (shaved a few mm) I used beard's kit*
Modified 05/06 caliper mount (shaved down) I used beard's kit
New master rivet chain link (unless you use clip on)
Castle nut socket (my dad made one, he's crafty like that)
+2" rear brake line

Optional parts used:
2005 GSXR1000 rear hugger (modified to fit)
2005 ZX6R chain guard (cut and shortened)
Paint.*

Torque specs in ft/lbs

Just waiting for my brake line to come in tomorrow and it will be 100%

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dude... awesome write-up.

One question though, and it may seem like a dumb one. I see many folks perform this swap and it definitely makes the bike look "newer", but what is the functional improvement? Lighter? Sets you up to use newer suspension components? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I really like what you did with the hugger. The one on my bike sucks so bad, looks like an air vent off the batmobile or something.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One question though, and it may seem like a dumb one. I see many folks perform this swap and it definitely makes the bike look "newer", but what is the functional improvement? Lighter? Sets you up to use newer suspension components? Inquiring minds want to know.
It's a couple pounds lighter. Updated look. A little bit different geometry makes the bike feel more planted at higher speeds/lean angles.

And mainly...I just like to tinker.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like what you did with the hugger. The one on my bike sucks so bad, looks like an air vent off the batmobile or something.
Kidding?? I love the 09+ hugger. Looks sick

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's a pretty sweet get up ya got there!! Nice work man.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good man Drums, looks slick! That's nice work and a great write up.
What's next?
Refreshing the forks and putting in new .95kg/mm RaceTech springs this weekend.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Interesting idea with the chain guard...

·
Registered
17,962 Posts

Yep as drums said liter more adjustable & just plan looks better.

Dan, Thats the exact same hugger on my bike, From a gssxr. I talked Robert through it.

Robert, Top job man, Bike is looking damn good,:yumyum: Think I'll let you park her next to Joan @ the dragon.:)

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subframe needs black and so does frame... Good work sir
eeh...I may do that after this year. we'll see. I would like to take the whole bike apart and clean it top to bottom since it's never been done. But that also makes me nudgey (yiddish word)

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
eeh...I may do that after this year. we'll see. I would like to take the whole bike apart and clean it top to bottom since it's never been done. But that also makes me nudgey (yiddish word)
Your proly best not doing that, One thing you do proly need to check though is your head bearings/top & bottom yoke.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Is there any way to automatically be notified every time you start up a new build thread???!!!! LOL
Seriously, that turned out GREAT!!!!!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there any way to automatically be notified every time you start up a new build thread???!!!! LOL
Seriously, that turned out GREAT!!!!!
I can try smoke signals :O

1 - 20 of 30 Posts