Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oi, whats up lads, it's finally Friday, halleluja.

So, I may be moving to Virginia (Charlottesville) in the next two months and was wondering....how would you guys move the bike?

I'm planning on getting a Uhaul for all of my shit and figured I'd simply strap the bike down INSIDE the uhaul, cover the bike with covers..etc and pack all of my other shit around it.

Anyone ever do a move like this?

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
http://zx6r.com/motorcycle-talk/40594-h-o-e-trip-back-home-uhaul-how.html

if you use this method, put some more space between the screws then i did. They fell over on a really shitty road, and im sure if i had spaced the eyelet bolts out more, it would not of happened. I cranked the straps down harder, after they feel and had no issues after, but like i said im sure it would of been fine if they were spaced further apart, and i only had one bike.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
what? no that truck had a two bed room apartments' worth of shit in it. and we had alot of stuff, that was a 24 ft truck and i was packing everything tight, as you can see from the last pic, they are almost at the edge.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes just secure it well with tie downs and make sure nothing around it can shift and fall into it. Or Uhaul also rents small motorcycle trailers you can tow behind the van.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what? no that truck had a two bed room apartments' worth of shit in it. and we had alot of stuff, that was a 24 ft truck and i was packing everything tight, as you can see from the last pic, they are almost at the edge.
Shit man, did you pack all of your shit in FIRST and then do the bikes last?

Looks like that's what y'all did.

The bitch about this thing is that I also have a car that I have to move.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Shit man, did you pack all of your shit in FIRST and then do the bikes last?

Looks like that's what y'all did.

The bitch about this thing is that I also have a car that I have to move.
yeah thats what we did, it was sketchy. as. fuck. riding it up the ramp into the back. and we also had a car to tow back. an suv at that lol. we did the car trailer thing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thats what we did, it was sketchy. as. fuck. riding it up the ramp into the back. and we also had a car to tow back. an suv at that lol. we did the car trailer thing.
LOL Yeah, I'll be towing a CRV.

Do you remember the price for the whole trailer + uhaul truck?

I figure i'll pack all of my shit, go to home depot, get some mexicans to move my shit into the truck and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Last time I moved myself the top of my recliner blew out on 1-10 and as I got out to pick it up a semi drove over it. It was like something that would happen to Clark Griswold.

The bottom part of the recliner sat in the garage for awhile and I irritated my wife to no end calling it "The ottoman". :laugh

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
LOL Yeah, I'll be towing a CRV.

Do you remember the price for the whole trailer + uhaul truck?

I figure i'll pack all of my shit, go to home depot, get some mexicans to move my shit into the truck and call it a day.
oh god man, we went with Budget(if you can afford to, GO WITH SOMEONE ELSE, we had a shit ton of problems with these guys and 3 blown tires from Ca to Ga)

i think it was around 2400$ for the truck, trailer and all the milage, after all the fuel and hotel stays(we had a diesel) it was around 3500$

but still, Penske was like 3200$ for just truck and trailer...

it may be cheaper for you, Cali is just expensive. if you do ride the bikes into the truck, do a nice burn out before hitting the ramp, just to get the tires sticky.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last time I moved myself the top of my recliner blew out on 1-10 and as I got out to pick it up a semi drove over it. It was like something that would happen to Clark Griswold.

The bottom part of the recliner sat in the garage for awhile and I irritated my wife to no end calling it "The ottoman". :laugh
lol jesus, that is definitely National Lampoon Vacation shit right there.

We need to create teleportation simply for this reason alone. Moving sucks ASSHOLE.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
i know, i was in corps, eas-ing and had a choice to do it myself or let someone else do it. i thought i had a chance to "make money off the move" if i did it myself. looking back, with all the bullshit i went through, i would have someone else do it in a heart beat now.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'm planning on getting a Uhaul for all of my shit and figured I'd simply strap the bike down INSIDE the uhaul, cover the bike with covers..etc and pack all of my other shit around it.
If you're going to do that then MAKE SURE none of that stuff that's around it has any chance of falling on it; I wouldn't risk it

I happen to sell Air Ride motorcycle crates though...can stack 1000 lbs on top :naughty:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You could ship it. Call some freight companies and get a quote on it. You can get some pretty good deals on shipping. I've got a couple of friends who shipped their bikes from Florida to Washington state so they could ride them back. Flew out and picked them up at the freight company depot out there.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
also, another option, a local dealership WOULD of sold me one of their motorcycle pallets(ones new bikes ship on) for 75$ but i was a day late and they had already disposed of them for the week.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Call around and see if anyone does crating, mine are $400 but you can disassemble it and keep it forever and they have their own air ride suspension so the bike is totally safe. I'm sure someone near you does something like it - I only say that because I can only assuming this thing would cost a shitload to ship to you (then you can pack your shit on and around it without worrying)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts