Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Kawi family ,

I’ve been riding my ninja 300 for the last 4 years put 35,000 miles on her , been saving up for the last couple of years to afford my dream zx6r and I just picked her up 2 days ago and I wanted some advice / experiences

I love everything about her , but as you probably will guess I’m having a hard time transitioning with regards to the seating position , now before Someone suggests hitting the gym I’m 25 years old 5,8 176lbs and I lift 3-4 times per week full full body and I’m in good shape ,

I know this has probably been addressed many times so forgive me for regurgitating the matter

I mainly want to know

1. If anyone has had the experience of going from a ninja 300 or a bike of similar comfort to the zx6r and how was the transition , did it take a while to get used to it , did you have to make any adjustments ?

2. I know the wrist topic comes up a lot but what’s the correct way to rinse one of these monsters , i mainly feel uncomfortin the traps / upper middle back area feels like everyone is so squashed

2. Is there anything I can do to make my ride more comfortable ? I’ve heard of clip ins and handle bar risers , what are the differences between the 2 and do they work ? I love the bike so much and it’s got many amazing to just give up on her so your input would be highly appreciated

Cheers !

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
The rider triangle is tight on these bikes compared to almost any other motorcycle type sold. Super sport bikes want your chin on the tank for the least possible aerodynamic drag.

the problem with the OEM setup has more to do with the foot peg placement than the bars. Because the seat and bars want your torso nearly horizontal, the pegs should be further back in order for your legs and hips to rotate forward, allowing for that.

rear sets usually include height adjustment as well but that’s mostly used to get the pegs further away from the ground.

the clip on bars can be replaced; there is a limited amount of change that can be made before they will hit the tank, or the fairing/windscreen. Mine are about 1.5” higher, about the same ‘back’, 2” wider, and not sloped down anymore. That’s taken a few hundred dollars to accomplish and is likely not quite as comfortable as your 300 Ninja.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
what kind of riding do you do?

how many miles have you put on the Zx6R?

Having ridden everything and every type of bike out there.....

To me the riding triangle of supersports (is the worst and most least comfortable of all motorcycles made) is something you just need to get used to and get your body acclimated too....... lots of riding on the bike will do that, but yes you can change out the handlebars to something a little higher, but at some point you will end up needing new throttle cables and brake lines if going to high

I do not think you should ever be riding with your chin on the tank while street riding, your visibility is so greatly reduced it is stupid......and your Vision is the most important of everything in motorcycle riding
~ your reactions times are based on vision
~ your manuevering are based on vision
~every single action you take as a rider is based on your vision

you would need to replace your handlebars to get them higher as you are........ bars mounted under triples, so no bar riser would work- risers only work for bars mounted above the triple clamps like a C14 etc....
You will never be able to replicate the seating position of your N300 though- well perhaps will tons of money and fabrication but why would you want to???

but here is what RJ has and what you would be looking for in handlebars.........

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good advice from seasoned riders above. Getting your body used to the position is going to be your best bet. Try to stay positive about the whole thing so you don’t start to dislike the bike.
I’m almost the same exact size as you. I’m 5’8” and 180lbs muscular and I was very much intimidated by the riding position of these bikes as my first bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600 with straight bars on it. First time I sat on a SS bike I was like no thanks that is not for me. Then I sat on a gsxr and thought this isn’t so bad…and took the plunge. It took me about 2 weeks of riding almost daily to get used to it. Now riding upright bikes feels weird to me, so it really is just a matter of getting comfortable on it.
The zx6r has a pretty aggressive position like the R6. The gsxr and CBR are the more relaxed of the SS bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am 6´ 1¨ and I weigh 182 lbs. and the first time I assembled my Z6XR I thought about selling it immediately, my wrists and groin ached from straining my legs to stay upright, a week after riding I felt comfortable and when I mounted my XR250 enduro it felt strange, In short, as they tell you above, it is just a matter of taking it positively and getting used to it.
Now buy anti-skid pads for the gas tank, they say they help to rest your wrists, we will see when you install them.
Never forget that human beings get used to good things quickly je je.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
A Supersports bike is always going to be a compromise on the road. Unless you have lots of twisty roads to take the pressure off the bars, you are going to hate riding it for any more than an hour. Seriously if you want this bike you need to take it to its natural habitat which is the track. Otherwise, yes they are pretty bikes but use your head not your heart.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had difficulties with my '05 ZX-6R. I ride other bikes, both upright and more sporting, but nothing as radical as this one. My biggest problem was my neck but after a few weeks I'm more used to it and the experience will help at the track when doing long distances in a tuck (LSR).

That said, Helibars makes a replacement handlebar which may help. Kawasaki - Kawasaki ZX6R 2013-2020 - HeliBars I've run them on the Hayabusa and like them a lot. They're expensive but might help you.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Any raised bars are a compromise and you will end up hitting the fairing. Seriously you need to evaluate why you want the bike. Is it because it is pretty? Or because you like twisty roads and tracks?

The Ninja 300 is a totally different bike. If you wanted something with more power and a similar riding style there's plenty of naked bikes out there. But they aren't as pretty.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm 5 10 and 175 and OLD but can still fit :) I went from a 2007 Ninja 250 to a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 to a 2012 CBR600RR. The riding position took some getting used to but time and determination get you there. Being in good shape is important as is flexibility. When I bought the CBR it was 150 miles away, a new bike and one I had ever ridden before! Rode it home on back roads to keep from grinding the miles out on the interstate at a constant speed. A couple of IMO very important points on the controls. Make sure the brake and clutch levers are in a natural position. If they are rotated too high it causes more flex of the wrist which is no fun after a while. I actually stopped at an O'/Rileys and bought a 10mm wrench to adjust the position of the clutch level. Even with the levels correctly positioned the weight of the rider on the wrists become a problem after a while. Good core strength helps and getting the prop off the wind over 55 mph helps. Eve with everything adjusted I found riding 30 minutes to an hour at low speeds was really hard on the wrists. Bend of the knee and the torso to the upper legs are also 2 areas where flexibility is key. Good neck flexibility is important as when stopped looking around takes a good bit of flexibility and movement.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I did not see the actual numbers on a 300 ninja but just for some perspective..........

speaking of rider triangle...

-------------------C14 sport touring, likely closest to that N300--------------02 ZX6R--13+ Zx6R-- H2
seat height---------------32.1..I think the N300 was 30.7 and narrow seat- 32.0------32.7------32.2
body forward lean------16*------------------------------------------------------39*-------43*-------- 41*
hip angle------------------80* (close to sitting position)--------------------------60*-------56*-------- 57*
knee angle---------------83* (close to sitting position)--------------------------76*--------74*--------74*
reach to the bars.....highly dependent on your torso and arm length so I discount this without knowing those factors

obviously these are only numbers on a data sheet and other factors come into play- but they are actual numbers on a data sheet to compare to....and the most obvious major difference is that forward lean angle of only 16* vs ~40*

Reactions: PhotoAl and RJ2112

·
Registered
8,339 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Kawi family ,

I’ve been riding my ninja 300 for the last 4 years put 35,000 miles on her , been saving up for the last couple of years to afford my dream zx6r and I just picked her up 2 days ago and I wanted some advice / experiences

I love everything about her , but as you probably will guess I’m having a hard time transitioning with regards to the seating position , now before Someone suggests hitting the gym I’m 25 years old 5,8 176lbs and I lift 3-4 times per week full full body and I’m in good shape ,

I know this has probably been addressed many times so forgive me for regurgitating the matter

I mainly want to know

1. If anyone has had the experience of going from a ninja 300 or a bike of similar comfort to the zx6r and how was the transition , did it take a while to get used to it , did you have to make any adjustments ?

2. I know the wrist topic comes up a lot but what’s the correct way to rinse one of these monsters , i mainly feel uncomfortin the traps / upper middle back area feels like everyone is so squashed

2. Is there anything I can do to make my ride more comfortable ? I’ve heard of clip ins and handle bar risers , what are the differences between the 2 and do they work ? I love the bike so much and it’s got many amazing to just give up on her so your input would be highly appreciated

Cheers !
Really interesting to hear. I have about 30k miles+ on zx6r's, only owned two and they were it. Literally never even had issues on comfort (well maybe briefly breifly in beginning on first bike. See second paragraph below though). Actually, thought it was pretty natural feeling. Makes you feel alert too, since you're upright. I would think the power difference between the 300 sport cruise vs a 600supersport would be so insane, comfort wouldnt even have been thought of! Ha, just my input though. Even still, no I never thought of comfort as an issue. But maybe just me.
Above all, Be Careful brother. Be safe,

Oh, and also when youre out there next time, and you feel it in your traps or wrists, Just.. ~Relax. Let the tension flow away in the wind aha. You shouldnt have to squeeze hard or keep your traps pinched or nothing. Just relax and chill. Be Careful though, Remember.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Any raised bars are a compromise and you will end up hitting the fairing. Seriously you need to evaluate why you want the bike. Is it because it is pretty? Or because you like twisty roads and tracks?

The Ninja 300 is a totally different bike. If you wanted something with more power and a similar riding style there's plenty of naked bikes out there. But they aren't as pretty.
Doesn't even have to be a naked bike.......
ninja 1000
H2 SxSe or just any street variant of the H2
Aprilia Tuano 660
etc....... (as there are plenty of older bikes too unless you demand new)

many bikes fully faired have a smilar seating ergo

Reactions: Sanctuary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Kawi family ,

I mainly want to know

Cheers !
Put simply it's a totally different bike, it will never be as comfortable as the 300, but you will get comfier as you get use to it for starters your probably hanging on to tight but you will at first, I had a hard time with wrist cramps to start off with but I wouldn't want to modify it to be more comfortable because you will lose the bikes characteristics, you say you do a lot of miles if your using it for commuting it's probably not the best bike for that.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Just relax and chill. Be Careful though, Remember.
I really hope that's not a pic of you in your avatar. Skin and tarmac is not a great combination. Just sayin'...

Personally, I'd rather sweat than bleed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts