Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... i am a new rider and i'm new to bikes.... i really enjoy reading this forum but there are some things that i'm super confused about and i hope yall can explan it to me...

1. What is a dyno and what does it do?

2. What exactly does at Power commader do?

3. Maps for a Power Commader <-?????? huh?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions but i really want to know......

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ok... i am a new rider and i'm new to bikes.... i really enjoy reading this forum but there are some things that i'm super confused about and i hope yall can explan it to me...

1. What is a dyno and what does it do?

2. What exactly does at Power commader do?

3. Maps for a Power Commader <- huh?
1. A measure of horsepower and torque done with a dyno machine. A dynotune on the otherhand is fine tuning of the bike.

2. A system to tune the bike with.

3. Those are available for people that don't have access or money to spend on dynotuning. They are done on someone else's bike with similar mods.

·
Registered
553 Posts
#1 A dyno measures rear wheel horsepower and torque. The person running the dyno will pull your bike onto the dyno, strap the front end of the bike down and the rear wheel will be set on a roller so it can spin with slight resistance. Usually, they will do three passes, ultimately to find peak horsepower they will redline sixth gear.

To answer #2 a little better, a power commander lets you adjust your fuel ratio in relation to rpm's to get the smoothest power band possible out of your bike. All bikes have flat spots and peaks in the power curve, a properly mapped power commander will smooth out these flat spots and peaks, not necessarily giving you more power overall, but more usable power.

#3 The maps change the fuel ratio at different rpm's and are available on www.dynojet.com you need different maps for different exhaust or air filter setup. To get the most out of your power commander you should have a performance or race shop dyno your bike and make a custom map for the power commander. The maps you can download are generic maps for the most part, no bike runs the same due to altitude, humidity, temperature....etc. If you have this done you will get the most usable power, however, it comes with a price and it's usually around $300 depending on how much time your bike is on the dyno.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IF you decide to get a power commander you don't necessarily need a dyno tune and custom map. If you have a stock pipe and/or air filter the map that comes from Power Commander is pretty good (98%). If you have a two brothers or other aftermarket pipe, you can still use one of the stock maps, and will still get some benefit. But, nothing beats a dyno tune. I gained 4hp over the stock maps doing mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts