Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I high sided my 08 last December. Lot of cosmetic damage, some mechanical, but overall the frame was straight and the motor wasn't popped so I decided to go all in and do a full custom build. Aftermarket everywhere, powder coat everything. Tore the motor down to make sure there was no unseen damage from the wreck, and went ahead and replaced all the gaskets, including the head gasket. Everything checked out, buttoned the motor up and put it back in the bike (which was a nightmare because I had EVERYTHING powder coated so I had to be gentle). Build the bike back to 95% complete, turn the key and she fires right up. Little bit of white smoke out of the exhaust, but that's to be expected after an engine tear down. Then comes the problem....

Oil leaking out at the head gasket on the right side, right below the header. It's a slow but steady stream. I also notice the oil looking milky in the oil window. Not sure if that's related to the head gasket leak, or cross contamination during teardown and rebuild. Thoughts on what to do/check before I have to pull the motor back out to get the cylinder head off? I really reeeeally don't want to have to do that again. I'm planning on posting pics of the whole build when she's done.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Well, personally, I refuse to help until I get to see some pictures :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just redo the head gasket...take the head to get resurfaced too. Oil and coolant is mixing. That's why it's milky. Torque EVERYTHING to spec. New head bolts are ALWAYS recommended too since they stretch in the process.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Oooooo purdy! :devious

I'm not actually going to be all that helpful to you, though (not by choice, just lack of knowledge). Thanks for playing :bigthumb:

If I had to guess, I'd assume it's just the head gasket, but I don't know enough about what else could be wrong to guarantee that for you...everything you mentioned just sounds like a head gasket leak to me though - might want to wait for some more knowledgable people to chime in before taking action tho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just redo the head gasket...take the head to get resurfaced too. Oil and coolant is mixing. That's why it's milky. Torque EVERYTHING to spec. New head bolts are ALWAYS recommended too since they stretch in the process.
When I pulled the head off the first time, it left a very thin film of old gasket stuck to both the block and head. Did my best to get it all off, but didn't want to use a razor blade and gouge the metal, so some remained. Could this have something to do with it? Every bolt on the bike during the rebuild has been torqued to spec. Didn't know about head bolts stretching though...

·
Registered
858 Posts
So I would pull head back off make sure the Block is fully clean from any gasket material. Def get the head checked for flatness and replace the head bolts. When reinstalling make sure you follow the torquing sequence of the head. Out of sequence can cause the head to warp and not lay flat.

Reactions: dennisplus

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah leaving some of it behind could def be the culprit. you could've used a razor they aren't that fragile but I would still take the head to a machine shop to be checked and resurfaced if it needs it. Try try again I always say. Doesn't really sound like a monster problem though...small but time consuming fix :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, and I know I need to just suck it up and pull the head again, but after months of tear down and rebuild, hearing the bike run again and being so close, it's just disheartening to have to undo all that work. Feels like a monster to me that has an appetite for my money and time lol. Plus pulling the motor is a bitch! Any tips on that? Disconnecting is fine, just the actual removal and putting it back in place.

Thanks for yalls help so far!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Next time you need to clean gasket material off just get yourself and red scotch bright pad and clean the mating surfaces really good. Will leave you with a perfectly smooth and clean surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts