Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

MJS Headers on 2013 ZX6R Review

8K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  gazserm 
#1 · (Edited)
MJS Headers on 2013 ZX6R

Purchased the headers off a member here and recently installed them along with a M4 GP Mount and Power Commander V (also purchased off a member on here), the fit is absolutely perfect, the install was incredibly easy I did not even have to take off the side fairings although by doing that you struggle a little to get the flanges on and tighten everything up but its do-able, the bike seems to run ALOT smoother through the entire rpm range and definitely is quicker. As for the sound....well its loud, extremely loud which is a given with the M4 GP mount with the baffle removed. If I had something to compare it to, it would be an actual MotoGP bike, just sounds racey lol, not raspy or anything just a smooth clean sound that's race bike volume. Would definitely recommend the headers to anyone looking to get race headers. If you do get them, don't get scared when you first start the bike and it stinks lol it's just the residue and dust from your oily fingers, smell went away after letting it get up to operating temp and letting it idle for about 3-4 minutes.

Here's the anticipated sound clip lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8sYEJ-ffQ :yumyum:

I'll get a fly by video later on today so you guys can hear what it sounds like throughout the entire rpm range :naughty:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds good I just sent a stock header to the muffler shop getting the cat cut off , then planning on getting them ceramic coated . Can't wait to hear & feel the difference.

#4 ·
I have MJS Headers myself. Only reason why I did was to get an O2 Sensor Plug welded in. At the time, there weren't any headers that could be purchased separately or I would have went with those for sure. I'll soon make the switch over to some Arrow Headers as these headers are just stock headers without the catalytic convertor. Nothing fancy about them. The headers from MJS are actually people's headers from their bikes as core. Only difference I heard from the Cat (Meow) being removed was the exhaust seemed a tad deeper.

#12 ·
I have MJS Headers myself. Only reason why I did was to get an O2 Sensor Plug welded in. At the time, there weren't any headers that could be purchased separately or I would have went with those for sure. I'll soon make the switch over to some Arrow Headers as these headers are just stock headers without the catalytic convertor. Nothing fancy about them. The headers from MJS are actually people's headers from their bikes as core. Only difference I heard from the Cat (Meow) being removed was the exhaust seemed a tad deeper.
I hate to burst your bubble, but there is anything "fancy" about those expensive arrow headers either... They're twice the cost of MJS headers, but you save about 3lbs and gain about 2 more hp.

#8 ·
Getting it today so stay tuned :devious

#6 ·
I had a stock header modified by a muffler shop similar to the MJS Header . Iam about to install them myself any day now. Do you have any other tips or advice so I can do it right the first time. Do I need to buy new gaskets or not bike only has about 3707 miles on it.

#9 ·
I reused my stock gaskets but they only had maybe 50 miles on them, you should be fine though. I installed them without pulling and plastics off at all, all i did was take out the two plastic push pins in the middle of the bottom plastics so the two sides of the bike "open up" and was able to sneak the stock headers out and the MJS ones in, its tight and kind of frustrating this way but try to have an extra set of hands hold them up for you so you don't lose your gaskets while re-installing the flanges. For some reason the nuts on the stock header flanges were only on there hand tight with no thread locker on it at all which I found pretty odd. I made all the nuts snug but not over tight one I got the MJS header in place. If you do it the way I did it by just splitting the plastics at the bottom, I hope you have small hands because you'll be fighting with the flanges and nuts through the little cut out in the side fairings lol. If you have any more questions or run into any problems during the install shoot me a PM I'll be happy to help you out. :bigthumb:

#10 ·
So wait a min, all of you guys running MJS header, has anyone gotten it tuned? You do realize it needs to be tuned as the MJS header is essentially a full exhaust...

#11 ·
I'm running a tune through my PCV, running the map for the full two bros from powercommander.com but I have a dyno appointment coming up for a custom dyno tune :naughty:

#20 ·
I have SS, there is only 2.5 lbs difference between the SS and evo Ti and both produce the same power. I can't really justify the extra expense, also I think I negated most of the weight difference by changing my can as well.

Reactions: honestSquid
#22 ·
Happy for you Brian, put it to use

#23 ·
Thanks again bud I'm lovin it!

Reactions: 2y4life
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.