Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will make this a quick post , just purchase a 2019 ZX-6R yesterday and didn’t notice until after purchase it was missing slip on. Just has exhaust box. How bad is this for my bike?
Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Tire Hood

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
If you didn't notice the muffler was missing...... what else may be wrong with the bike? Most likely the previous owner took off the aftermarket slip on they had mounted to re-sell separate from the bike. That's really sh*tty pool, if you don't put the OEM unit back on. You as the buyer may well be at fault (in that you have no recourse); assuming you bought this bike from a private party for cash. I would ask them for the OEM muffler, or the slip on. Can't hurt to ask. Don't expect anything positive.

If you bought it from a dealership of any type, they shouldn't have been legally allowed to let it off the lot like that.

Because the header is where the catalytic converter resides, you are unlikely to cause any damage to the engine as is. (Other than being a pain in the ear to everyone around you, that is.)

You can go any number of ways to complete the exhaust, form eBay knock off open pipe end caps (no better than what you have right now, just with a tip) to a number of different brands of glass packs/slip on mufflers which will have varying amounts of effect on the noise you produce. The longer the can, and the bigger diameter it is, the quieter it will be. Almost nothing is as quiet as OEM.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
No need to be a drama queen....

@op

It's not great for the bike, stuff to do with back pressure etc and it will effect how the bike performs.

Pain in the arse (and ears) mate, but grab another can and slap it on.
“No need to be a drama queen”. Just bringing up the fact that if you don’t notice no muffler, you probably didn’t look at much on the bike by the way of leaks, drips, loose bolts, etc. Dude definitely did not get the bike inspected.

It’s a safety thing, and it’s fine that you don’t know what to check, but you should then have a professional look it over.

You just called one of the kindest (and most knowledgeable people on here, “a drama queen”. He won’t say anything to you because he’s a kind soul. I will though cause I’m an asshole. And I know when when I see/hear/read one.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Will make this a quick post , just purchase a 2019 ZX-6R yesterday and didn’t notice until after purchase it was missing slip on. Just has exhaust box. How bad is this for my bike? View attachment 111125
Beautiful ride, I’m sure. Not a huge deal. Get a nice exhaust can, used is fine, off eBay. Depends on the level of sound you like. Depends on your budget. @PhotoAl has one he will sell you for cheap. He’s a permanent fixture here and I would vouch for any gear he has as being excellent condition, good brand.

Definitely take it to a reputable place to get it looked over, unless you’re so inclined. Just checking/changing fluids. Make sure everything cycles well. Steering stem, swing arm, forks, rear shock. Chain/sprocket condition. Make sure bike hasn’t been down and had plastics replaced. Depending on miles,15k it needs a valve adjustment. Pretty simple maintenance that will keep the bike going for tens of thousands of miles to come.

If you need a factory manual or have any questions there’s a few excellent people on herewith decades of experience to guide you.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
No need to be a drama queen....

@op

It's not great for the bike, stuff to do with back pressure etc and it will effect how the bike performs.

Pain in the arse (and ears) mate, but grab another can and slap it on.

You are a fucking idiot!

I said what I said and you have proven the case for me.............

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will though cause I’m an asshole. And I know when when I see/hear/read one.
Sure, cool. You do you and I'll do me and that's fine.
I'm just not one for implying that a missing can could lead to the worst possible scenario.

I've not been here long, clearly, and I have no doubt that RJ2112 is a properly decent person.
However, assuming there is any kind of malice behind a throw away comment such as calling someone drama queen, then kicking off at me..... says a lot more about you than it does about me or RJ2112.

You are a fucking idiot!

I said what I said and you have proven the case for me.............
Yeah, that's cute.
I'm glad there was enough room on that bandwagon for you, and your ego.

But let me make this abundantly clear to the pair of you.
I really don't give a flying fuck what the two of you think.

@RJ2112
Never any malice behind my comments, I'm too old and ugly to put the effort in.
Stay cool and loose, my dude.

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Sure, cool. You do you and I'll do me and that's fine.
I'm just not one for implying that a missing can could lead to the worst possible scenario.

I've not been here long, clearly, and I have no doubt that RJ2112 is a properly decent person.
However, assuming there is any kind of malice behind a throw away comment such as calling someone drama queen, then kicking off at me..... says a lot more about you than it does about me or RJ2112.

Yeah, that's cute.
I'm glad there was enough room on that bandwagon for you, and your ego.

But let me make this abundantly clear to the pair of you.
I really don't give a flying fuck what the two of you think.

@RJ2112
Never any malice behind my comments, I'm too old and ugly to put the effort in.
Stay cool and loose, my dude.
I’m much the same. One comment does not the man make. Written communication is difficult at best and lacks much of the subtlety we take for granted in direct discussion. Toss in cultural perceptions and it’s quite easy to get offended out of proportion to initial internet. Benefit of the doubt always plays into my responses.

As they saying goes, far better to be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

The only person not involved in this conversation is the OP. Just saying……

1 - 12 of 12 Posts