Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently bought a 2000 J1 with 23,500 miles from a reputable 2nd hand bike dealer - nice condition, few marks but nothing major, runs well, good amount of history and overall happy. When I got it home, I've gone through all the paperwork and put in order because I'm sad however have noticed a major error in the mileage on the MOT history. In 2015 the mileage was just over 20k but in 2016 it drops to 10,500 and then builds up again.

Question - other than clocking (which the garage have said is virtually impossible on a modern(ish) bike, what could be the reasons for this? Can you just swap the clock cluster on bikes for those with lower mileage (if the records of mileage are even kept in the cluster itself)?

This is now starting to stress me out thinking that I've bought a proper lemon

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
The total mileage resides within the cluster.... swap the cluster, whatever mileage was on it is where you are starting to add on from. Realistically, your bike probably has roughly 30,000 miles total on it. Not a huge number, particularly with the age of the bike. It it's mechanically sound and in a good state of tune I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Sucks to get caught out, but it's by no means the end of the world.

v/r,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The total mileage resides within the cluster.... swap the cluster, whatever mileage was on it is where you are starting to add on from. Realistically, your bike probably has roughly 30,000 miles total on it. Not a huge number, particularly with the age of the bike. It it's mechanically sound and in a good state of tune I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Sucks to get caught out, but it's by no means the end of the world.

v/r,
thanks for your reply and yes that makes sense. I’ve since spoken to the garage and they said the clocks were likely swapped however could have less miles than recorded maybe? Anyway, they’ve said I can take it back and get most of my money back. Just need to decide now. Other than the mileage it seems a great bike. Anything particular to look out for? I’ve read the engines are quite bulletproof?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Yes, the engines are good. I have ~70,000 miles on my 2009 that I bought brand new, and it still runs like new!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... ended up taking the bike back to the garage for a refund and they gave me a 636 in return with lower mileage and 2 years newer 😂. Presuming this is a better bike... other than the engine size difference, what are the main changes? It’s the A1P engine

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
The under seat exhaust is an acquired taste..... makes modifications more complicated due to the additional plumbing, and generates a lot more heat in the under tray.

the '05-06 brakes aren't considered the best in the business; fresh fluid, braided lines, good pads..... they're quite effective. '05 is known to burn up the ECU from the heat under seat -- an '06 ECU would cure that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts