Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, July is the middle of winter. :crazy

Every year "the group" usually has a mid winter ride to a pub called the Pig & Whistle in east Trentham. We had a poor turnout this year. It had rained 16 of 17 days leading up to Sunday the 15th July and it was cold, but the rain held off for the day.

How the bike has looked for more than a month :( But sexy in lycra :yumyum

Off with the cover, check the tyre pressures and fire it up (I had serviced the bike, so there was no need for any other pre ride checks)

Only three of us dills fronted for the ride.

Isn't it pretty Uncle Crash? 50th Anniversary R1. Kylie's other bike is a Hayabusa :rolleyes

I didn't go last year as it was the day I was selling my old TLS - Its sale came before any ride :crazy And last years numbers were a little down on previous years too.

It's only a 130km (~80 miles) loop but it's a nice ride through the local hills, but I much prefer them during the summer time. The temperature through them is at least 10C cooler than here in the Marsh. You can feel it drop on the way out and rise on the way in, it happens quickly. I put the liner in my jacket, wore 3 layers, long johns and my draggin jeans and still froze my nuts off. But it was an ok ride and I was itching for one anyway.

Out of the Marsh (off the freeway via Pentland hills, but the map doesn't show it) to Myniong, then Greendale to Blackwood. Through Blackwood to Trentham and out to Trentham East. Lunch at the Pig & Whistle which is in the middle of no where, off to Woodend then over Mt Macedon stop at Gisborne to talk more shit then Gisborne to home while dodging kangaroo's. :rant

(I took my camera and I was going to stop and take pics of Wombat and Roo signs and some of the roads and bends, but seeing as my hands were frozen to the bars, I didn't stop).

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
It must be freezing down in Victoria! I'm too sissy to get out and ride even at midday here. Looks like a lot of fun, though! The turn out wasn't anything to write home about but at least you've got people to ride with. Disappointed at your lack of roadside sign pictures though Steve. They really do it for me.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't usually ride if it's less than 16C (60F), Melbournes top was 13C (55F), but out there was under 10C (50C) :( It was actually snowing in those areas yesterday and today, it doesn't normally snow this close to Melbourne.

Lot's of crashes in the area, 50 cars on the side of the road between here and Ballan :banghead
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...ugh-coldest-day/2007/07/17/1184559789294.html
July 18, 2007

IT WAS cold, so very cold. Then came the rain, the wind and in some parts of the state, the snow.

Melbourne yesterday recorded its coldest day in nine years. The temperature hovered around six degrees for most of the afternoon, dipping to 5.4 degrees at 6pm. The top was 9.2 degrees at 9.48am, well below the July average top of 13.7 degrees.

.. blah blah .. then ...

Snow and ice forced VicRoads to close roads in Ballan, Daylesford, Trentham, Woodend and Mt Macedon for hours due to snow and ice.
Woodend Station.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
894 Posts
My hats off to you Steve...

I rode to work the other morning, the first time i'd ridden the bike in 7 weeks. It's a 20 minute ride - thats was enough...

Might need to invest in some winter gear :confused

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
nice gargage i am trying to justify buying one of those work tables to work on my bike is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I got the lift, I don't know how I survived without it. It's just a cheap Chinese import, but it does the job. I removed the front wheels and made some legs and dyna-bolted them to the concrete floor so the lift doesn't move. I used to lay a broom down between the lift and another workbench to stop the lift rolling forward when putting the bike on it.

Well worth it..
(you can see the old wheels and front wheel clamp under the bench)

Room on the other side for my dyno :devious

·
Registered
894 Posts
Apparently. when you own a Spewzi, you need to have easy access to regularly pull it apart and fix the things that go wrong with it...

:laugh

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently. when you own a Spewzi, you need to have easy access to regularly pull it apart and fix the things that go wrong with it...

:laugh

:bitchslap Preventitive maintenance only. And hitting it with Mr Sheen is a dream :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts