Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Michigan People Riding Yet?

17K views 228 replies 30 participants last post by  NitrusReigns 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of my fellow Michiganders are out on the roads yet? I went for a very brief jaunt last week, but that's it for me so far. What about the rest of you?

#2 ·
Well, even without being in Michigan we have similar weather. Planning on going out today after school. BTW how do you teach your classes and also get on this site as often? (If you are wonderin the same for me... I am a multi-tasker ;) )

#3 ·
I'm at a school that has 7 class periods in the day (long-ass school day for these kids) and full time teaching is only 5 of those 7 periods, so I have two hours plus lunch during the day that I can use as I see fit :)

#8 ·
nope not yet, Where are you located?

#10 ·
I'm over on the west side of the state near Grand Rapids. Are you folks all on the east side?

#11 · (Edited)
Yea I havn't been out yet either, damn salt is still all over the roads and pot holes the size of Buicks. I'm getting pretty close to saying screw it and taking it out. The winter that never ends. :(

Nitrus you work in a school as well? I work in DPS myself.

#12 ·
Yea I havn't been out yet either, damn salt is still all over the roads and pot holes the size of Buicks. I'm getting pretty close to saying screw it and taking it out. The winter the never ends. :(

Nitrus you work in a school as well? I work in DPS myself.
Yeah, everywhere I drive I think about trying to dodge all these pot holes on my bike once I get it out there...not feeling too excited about that. :hmmm:

Yeah, I teach at a charter high school in the GR area. How's your school fairing currently with all the budget cuts and student loss in DPS lately?

#16 ·
Sounds good to me for a meet up sometime this summer.

The school I'm in is actually the only shining light left in DPS. We've gained students, just got done with a 48 million dollar remodel, new technology, and we jumped a full percentage point on out ACT scores.

#17 ·
Well, that's good to hear!

I'll post up a thread when it gets warm about for us to all get a southern Michigan meet up together.

#22 ·
I head over for "the dream cruise" almost every summer and would definitely be up for meeting there this summer.

Anyone interested in meeting up somewhere near Lansing once the weather get's nicer, subscribe here and we'll just set it up through this thread - that way nobody interested will miss the announcement if we make a new thread.

#21 ·
I would be down to meet up on a Sunday in the summer. I did just put my first 70 miles on the odometer the other day, it was a whopping 43 degrees but the rain has washed the salt off the roads and I wanted give her a proper break in ride, it was great aside from my numb fingers and toes!

#25 ·
I'm a little confused as well, but whatever...at least around the GR area here, most of the roads are pretty terrible - where there's not still salt and sand, there are potholes :hmmm:

Reactions: Brandon35
#27 ·
Where are you from that they already got around to taking care of the potholes?

#29 ·
At this time of year that is all they can do. Its called a Cold Patch. Until the weather warms up, fixing potholes right now is just a matter of slapping some asphalt in there because the ground temperature isn't high enough yet for the patch to "cure".

Temporary band-aids....that generally get forgotten about when it actually comes time to repair them....

#30 ·
I am far from taking the bike out until its like 55*, my hands just get too cold. The roads are looking better, but still dangerous. I agree to meet up during the summer, tried to do this last year but everyone that expressed interest bailed. Stay safe out there and my bike is finally almost back together.

#33 ·
Thats a rude brag there. ha. They do, do the patching all year. Have you noticed how they work on a piece of road for maybe a month then never finish it but move onto another stretch a few miles away then we are SOL because now multiple roads sections are shut down. Be careful riding so early with only small amounts of rain since all that debris is still on the road.

Reactions: lance22me
#34 ·
I'm definitely interested in a meet up sometime this summer. The forecast this week for us in the SE area at least says Sunday could be 55 degrees with a slight chance of a shower....that day may just be the day I'll pull the steed out from the shed.

#36 ·
Yup, I'm hoping to get out for a bit on Sunday!

Went out once last week and I hit a deer so I'm not getting out anytime soon but I'm down for a summer meetup!
That's no good man! Lot's of work to do to get the bike fixed up or not too bad?

#37 ·
Hell yeah I'm out. I rode home from work last night...24 degrees. The salt is all washed off the roads, that's nice. As long as the roads are dry I'll ride. I don't have any heated gear...layers work wonders. A t-shirt, 2 thermals, a hoodie, and a ski jacket keeps my core warm.

#38 ·
Maybe the roads are clean by you, but over here, they are definitely still FULL of salt and sand...not to mention 2 inches of snow again today :hmmm:

#40 ·
Obviously subscribing for our mid michigan ride!!

#47 ·
It seems like the cagers I saw doing double-takes yesterday would agree with you :laugh

Reactions: Raven
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.