Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with the Michelin Power GP?
I've had the S22, road 5, pirellis and now on the Power GPs
When the shop installed these tyres they put in 42 in the rear and 40 in the front.

For track Michelin recommends 30.5 front 27.6.

However nothing for road, my swingarm states 36/42 which imo is too much.

I'm about 100kgs (220lb), I mostly do spirited riding and twisties and hard leans on the weekend, been trying 32f/34r but it feels squishy and conforms to the bends in the road too much almost as if the ground is guiding the bike.

Anyone use these types of tyres with the 2ct and 2ct+ compounds and have any recommendations? I care about performance, safety and grip over mileage

Edit: looking at my swing arm it says 180kg load, 36/42 so clearly max load, the tyres state max load front and back tyre is 42psi (380kgs)

· Registered
2018 z900rs, 2021 cb1000r, 2013 zx6r
56 Posts
I was using power gp on cb1000r this year on track and they were really great. On track I used 28/32, and the only time I used them on the road was riding the bike to the track and back and I put 34 front and rear which is typically what I have my power 5 tires at, which is my typical road tire.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using power gp on cb1000r this year on track and they were really great. On track I used 28/32, and the only time I used them on the road was riding the bike to the track and back and I put 34 front and rear which is typically what I have my power 5 tires at, which is my typical road tire.
I'll try a 34 on the front instead of a 32.

· Registered
2018 z900rs, 2021 cb1000r, 2013 zx6r
56 Posts
For the record most of what I do is because I’m too lazy to figure out what is best, if it was the dog days of summer 32 might be better, if it’s cooler out maybe 36. I ran 34 on my first track day and the tire started pulling apart where the compounds meet. I went to the local speed shop and he said it was because my pressures were too high, I told him I had 34 and I think it
hurt him a little.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Blue Locking hubs

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record most of what I do is because I’m too lazy to figure out what is best, if it was the dog days of summer 32 might be better, if it’s cooler out maybe 36. I ran 34 on my first track day and the tire started pulling apart where the compounds meet. I went to the local speed shop and he said it was because my pressures were too high, I told him I had 34 and I think it
hurt him a little.

View attachment 112821
My track pressures are set by what I see on the Michelin site (30/27)

On the road I'm leaning towards 34/36 now, I may try 36/36 or 36/38 next.

· Registered
745 Posts
I'll try a 34 on the front instead of a 32.
Pressures for street riding are far less critical and much more of a feel thing than for track use. I've always kept ~2psi more in the rear as it seems to help with minimizing the flat spot in the center of the tread from riding a lot of straight roads and it feels OK for me. Front pressure can definitely be set by how it feels to you, so adding 1-2psi at a time and trying it to see if the wallowing goes away is perfectly OK. The big things you want to avoid are very low pressures to minimize the chance of damage from hitting road debris and crazy high pressures that reduce traction. Mid 30's is a very reasonable range for street use on most any modern 17" radial sport bike tires.

Mark

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pressures for street riding are far less critical and much more of a feel thing than for track use. I've always kept ~2psi more in the rear as it seems to help with minimizing the flat spot in the center of the tread from riding a lot of straight roads and it feels OK for me. Front pressure can definitely be set by how it feels to you, so adding 1-2psi at a time and trying it to see if the wallowing goes away is perfectly OK. The big things you want to avoid are very low pressures to minimize the chance of damage from hitting road debris and crazy high pressures that reduce traction. Mid 30's is a very reasonable range for street use on most any modern 17" radial sport bike tires.

Mark
Thanks! I'm keeping 34/36, anything higher at the front and it tips too easily, anything more at the back and it feels like I'm skating on metal.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 112867
View attachment 112866
Top pic is rear tire, then front. All I ride in this bike is Q3+, my front is always 32 rear is always 38. I am 204 lbs.

Very nice thread wear, but why is the rear 38? I would've thought that would be a little too high?
I'll try your pressures and see how I go, I'm just very weary of too high pressures.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By adjustments, that's truly where it's been comfortable for me. I tend to ride pretty aggressive and they just stick, the bump absorption is great
Dropped my front from 34 to 32, it's warming up much better, as hot or slightly warmer than my rear at 36, haven't tried 38 rear, corners seem more confident also.
I've also noticed wind isn't affecting my front as much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts