Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, needing some more life out of my BT014's - so looking to replace with BT021's or Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Don't know which to go for :coocoo. I know these are more sport/tourer than sport but need more mileage as last one not done 2k yet and already shot. Help me

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im running Metzeler M3's and Ive got about 4200 miles on them so far and probably about another 1000 til the rear is shot, and thats with a few burnouts. Great tire, very sticky, and you dont have to step down to a sport touring tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris. They sound to be doing better than my BT014's. Always had Bridgestones and Dunlops in past, but on my old bike. Not tried owt different on ninja yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I bought a set of pilot power 2ct's and they are the best tires I have ever had, and I used to have bridgestones before this set. so ot is up to you, but without a second thought I would definitely go with the pilots

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I've always had Pilot Powers but I whacked 2CT's on last time. Wouldn't say the difference is notable but they've hardly got 1k on them yet. If you don't know, the 2CT's have a harder compound in the middle for extra milage and a softer compound on the sides for the winning (huzzah!) PP grip. Pilot Powers in general are a fantastic tyre. I wouldn't use any other brand to tell you the truth. My bike had the Pilot Sport on them when stock and the difference is incredible. I'd choose grip over mileage anyday, but that might be just me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah my BT-014s wore out in 4200 miles, without doing any burnouts. The M3 is sitting at 4400 miles right now, with an occasional burnout here and there, and it will easily see 5k miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
just to clarify something about the pp2ct

it's normal pp compound in the middle and softer compound on the sides. It's not harder, just the sides are softer. :)

I'm running a rear metzeler sportec m3 wich are dual compound too. I really love it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to use BT014 and got around 5K from a rear and i have done 24,000 now, I was offered a deal on a set Dunlop qualifiers and i was very inpressed put them on at 20,000 and still lasting well. Very impressed with the grip from them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this is a great subject as I will need new tires soon as well,
Right now I have Dunlop D208GP's they are gettin kinda wore out now so i will be paying lots of attention to this thread.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for the help guys, totally agree with you Quarkz about grip over mileage but, I just can't afford to replace every 2k miles. I ride everyday and cannot resist to tear the road up after work. Just want something grippy and durable.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Ouch! Only 2K? I just passed 5K on my BT014 and was shocked to notice the tread in the middle is getting low and very close to needing replacement. Now I don't feel so bad!
:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey. The BT014 was fine for the first year and did just short of 4k. I replaced with same but but after hard ride couple o' weeks ago it almost melted, its done 2k now. I'm obviousley riding it harder now i've got used to it better. Are you on origanal rear Drunkula?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hey. The BT014 was fine for the first year and did just short of 4k. I replaced with same but but after hard ride couple o' weeks ago it almost melted, its done 2k now. I'm obviousley riding it harder now i've got used to it better. Are you on origanal rear Drunkula?
Yes, the original. I got my bike in August of last year and just recently turned 5K on the odometer. I will probably replace it (the tire - not the bike!) within the month, if that long.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanx for the help guys, totally agree with you Quarkz about grip over mileage but, I just can't afford to replace every 2k miles. I ride everyday and cannot resist to tear the road up after work. Just want something grippy and durable.
2k my ass, I got 4100 out of my last set of pilot powers, and i didnt even need to replace the front, if you are only getting 2k out of them, you spending too much time on straight roads and not enough on the side wall.:laugh:laugh

·
Registered
450 Posts
Man...if I could get over 300mi out of a set of Power races I'd be sh*ttin' in tall cotton.:banghead

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2k my ass, I got 4100 out of my last set of pilot powers, and i didnt even need to replace the front, if you are only getting 2k out of them, you spending too much time on straight roads and not enough on the side wall.:laugh:laugh
:laugh your ass is 2k wide :laugh too much info wes!

The front has done 6k and has some left. I'm on second rear thats only done 2k, yeah maybe i need to corner more but that wouldn't change the fact its wore out in 2k! :banghead

1 - 20 of 30 Posts