Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but I definitely tried the search bar first without success. I just purchased a 2012 ZX6R last month and have started to get my hands dirty with some maintenance. I noticed during my oil change that there was some writing on the block in a paint pen, that has me thinking it could be a junkyard motor. One of the big selling points was the bike only had 5k miles on it so it's wasn't a great feeling seeing those markings. So what should I look for to determine the year of the motor? Will it have to be an 09-12 or could it potentially be an older motor? Thanks!

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
So what's the writing on it say??

There should be a serial number on it somewhere. I'd start there and when you find it, look it up online and see what you find.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Those are probably factory markings. However..... just because it was out of a bike that might have been salvaged doesn't mean it's a bad engine. (if it was actually a salvage engine) Just that whatever it was in was toast and they pulled it out to sell what they could.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The problem is they're written in fucking English not Japanese. :laugh

And yeah my '10 had those stupid hieroglyphics as well, dudes were bored in the factory and were waiting for some white dude to think his bike was salvaged!! Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and chill the fuck out.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My 12 has them on the rear of the block as well and mine had 2 miles when I bought it so I would say it's factory.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Dude, pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand. If it feels fine, drop the oil and inspect. If the oil looks good, refill and start. If you hear any ticking make sure it's not an air leak from the headers or cct noise.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, we are guys who like and expect a hard time since were not a knitting club.
Third, how does it run.
Forth if the last question was answered fine then.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So like do Japanese guys get random English words as Tattoos?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is they're written in fucking English not Japanese. :laugh

And yeah my '10 had those stupid hieroglyphics as well, dudes were bored in the factory and were waiting for some white dude to think his bike was salvaged!! Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and chill the fuck out.
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, we are guys who like and expect a hard time since were not a knitting club.
Third, how does it run.
Forth if the last question was answered fine then.

Lmao I think I'm going to like it here! You guys seem more fun than the Honda crowd :fire

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Lmao I think I'm going to like it here! You guys seem more fun than the Honda crowd :fire
Yep, you'll fit in just right here :angel

PS: Poor Marquez :O :laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what's the writing on it say??

There should be a serial number on it somewhere. I'd start there and when you find it, look it up online and see what you find.
I added a couple pics of it.

Those are probably factory markings. However..... just because it was out of a bike that might have been salvaged doesn't mean it's a bad engine. (if it was actually a salvage engine) Just that whatever it was in was toast and they pulled it out to sell what they could.
OP, I believe the hand written numbers are normal. At least I can say my '09 has them as well...
My 12 has them on the rear of the block as well and mine had 2 miles when I bought it so I would say it's factory.
The paint pen writing is normal. I have it on my brand new 2013 Zx6r and my 2012 Zx10. Factory markings.
Hell yeah, that's cool if it's factory. Only time I've seen it before was from trips to the salvage yard, didn't know that was a thing for Kawasaki.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hell yeah, that's cool if it's factory. Only time I've seen it before was from trips to the salvage yard, didn't know that was a thing for Kawasaki.
Yeah, that's normal. The guys get bored during their smoking break at the Factory...

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
I would guess that's written at QC inspection or something like that.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So long as it doesn't say "This is a lemon".

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Since you didn't run away, you will do fine..

I would prefer a salvaged good running engine than a stock original that is torched.
That has happened more than once. Squid knew the engine was done and screwed the buyer.
Think last one was a couple months ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts