Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a power drop kinda thing somewhere around 10-12 rpm.. its as if the bikes a lil hesitant and in a sec it shoots up.. have a feelin this is got to do with the air and fuel mixture not too sure though :O

my mechanic told me to replace the map sensor? do u think that wud solve the prob?:dowhat m also changin the air filter.

please advice!!:banghead

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well the map controls the air fuel mixture, its possible to be a sensor but I have never heard of that!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the map controls the air fuel mixture, its possible to be a sensor but I have never heard of that!
i know!! really strange i must say:rant

neways do u know of any place where i can get this sensor? cause i have no idea what it looks like or called:dowhat

·
Registered
257 Posts
i know!! really strange i must say:rant

neways do u know of any place where i can get this sensor? cause i have no idea what it looks like or called:dowhat
Well If you have no power commander you "map" is ran off of a internal computer for your bike called your ECU. The ecu looks like this

Now if one of you sensors were bad it would either have to be at one of 2 ends.
1)The part that plugs directly into the ECU itself
2)The part that plugs into the injector and other various plugs.

Not sure how to find out which one it is but thinking about it now it seems very, and when I say very I mean not likely at all that, that is the problem. It has to be something else.

Think about it. you have 4 injectors, so 4 plugs. All four of those plugs are ran off of one of the 2 plugs comming off of the ECU so if it was the connector to the ECU then the whole bike fuel injection would be jacked. If it was just one fuel injector connection that would be messed up that whole injector would be jacked and throughout the whole rev cycle, not just 10k+. Make sense. Im gonna do some more research for ya, but let me know what your mods are and what kinda mileage you got on the bike to help me understand!

But im almost positive it has nothing to do with a map sensor unless there is something that I am missing here.

By the way map sensor is pretty generalized there are up to 30+ sensors running of the map to keep everything in check. Kinda make me think he has no clue, but then again im not a bike mechanic just someone who understands them and how to trace problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I did some further research and it seems if it is a "sensor" you might have to replace a whole bunch of other connectors to fix that one sensor. When I get time tommorow im gonna look at it in depth and trace the wire and see what else they lead to, but the way it seems to me it could be a throttle position sensor or a speed sensor that might not be working properly. That kinda makes sense seeing as how you only experience this at certain rpms. Another question though

Did it always do this or is it a new thing?

And if its new is there anything that comes to mind about what could have caused this? Anything at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did some further research and it seems if it is a "sensor" you might have to replace a whole bunch of other connectors to fix that one sensor. When I get time tommorow im gonna look at it in depth and trace the wire and see what else they lead to, but the way it seems to me it could be a throttle position sensor or a speed sensor that might not be working properly. That kinda makes sense seeing as how you only experience this at certain rpms. Another question though

Did it always do this or is it a new thing?

And if its new is there anything that comes to mind about what could have caused this? Anything at all.
hey dude.. firstly i wud like to thank u so much for ur effort and interest! :)

well:

1) The bike's in Stock condition without any mods whatsoever..although i have disconnected the SeRVO as i messed it up...

2) my bike's done just abt 9000 miles.. and its an 05 636

3) well, it was perfect when i bought the bike... only after a few services and after disconnectin the SERVO i have faced this problem... although i think the SERVO wudnt make much

4) also, i experience the power drop only when i have a constant grip on the throttle and have a steady increase in power band...

hope that info helps..

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Usually if a sensor goes out of spec it'll throw an FI code (flashing light in certain sequences for your bikes I think? Nice number to read on ours).

What servo did you disconnect? The secondary butterfly servo?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually if a sensor goes out of spec it'll throw an FI code (flashing light in certain sequences for your bikes I think? Nice number to read on ours).

What servo did you disconnect? The secondary butterfly servo?
yep thats the one.. so do u think that wud hav caused the prob.. if so how?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Possibly I'm not 100% sure. :dunno Maybe the position you've locked the butterflies in interferes with the intake charge at those RPM's so the engine goes a bit flat there. The ECU might have had them in a different postion at those RPM's to avoid the problem.

But if that were the case, I'd imagine everyone who has defeated the secondary butterflies would be complaining of the same thing.

It's ok once you get through those RPM's?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Steve is right about the number of blinks our bikes do for the service code(sucks I like the numbers given on the suzuki:( )... does your bike's FI light stay lite the whole time? If so the service manaul goes over the self check in section 3-41 ..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve is right about the number of blinks our bikes do for the service code(sucks I like the numbers given on the suzuki:( )... does your bike's FI light stay lite the whole time? If so the service manaul goes over the self check in section 3-41 ..
ya the FI light is on all the time... but i still have no idea as to whats the reason for this power drop though..:rant

will try the self check part..

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
IMHO it's not worth trying to fix anything until you get rid of the fault light.

The ECU could be doing all sorts of weird things as a limp home fix because it's not getting all the information it needs to operate correctly. Once you've diagnosed what's causing the FI to light up and fixed it, you can move onto other items if it's still not running right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have some diagnostics done at a shop and it will spit out a code telling them what the problem is and then it can be fixed.

As far as the butterfly valve it is very possoble that could be it also.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The exhaust butterfly valve actuator is DIRECTLY connected to and ran by the ECU, it is also DIRECTLY connected to 5 sensors

1- Inlet air pressure sensor
2- Main throttle sensor
3- Sub throttle sensor
4- Atmospheric pressure sensor
5- Inlet air sensor

But since it is connected to the ECU the input from one of these sensors or all of them could affect the output to other sensors such as (indirect connections)

-Speed sensor
-Camshaft position sensor
-And the primary and secondary fuel injectors.

The butterfly valve actuator sensor is also indirectly connected to (Through the ECU)

-Spark plugs
-Subthrottle valve actuator.
- Crankshaft sensor

Get the code of the FI light from a dealership and it will tell where the problem is and what sensor, if it is a sensor at all.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Also.. if you disconnected the servo under the seat, you will get a FI light, and it will probably run like crap to.. I know if you disconnect them on the 929 they run like shit...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts