Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Making the driver seat quick-release?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Strider 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently, the 2013-2018 (19+ as well..? probably) ZX6R's driver seat can only be removed by yanking off (2) the side fairings, and using an Allen key to remove 2 bolts.

Has anyone figured out a way to make the seats quick release?

The seat (if servo buddy is installed) has a LOT of empty space, to use as storage.. but its unusable due to the difficulty in removing the seat.

Any ideas?

Bolt location

Where bolt is underneath the fairing

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've thought about using something like this:

Inserted from the inside of the bolt holes on each side, tied together with a length of braided wire (with a loop or a ring on the end) that goes back to the rear seat compartment. Then you would just use your key to open the rear seat compartment, pull on the wire and lift up the front seat.

I have the spring bolts already. I just haven't tried to put it all together yet.

#3 ·
I like this idea of a solution accessible under the pillion compartment. One issue might be that pulling rearward on a wire might not open these spring bolts... (They probably will want to be pulled in right/left direction). You almost need a pulley to resolve that lol

This would work from the other side though (same direction as current bolts go in).. Just needs a stealthy way to interface with the fairing. (i.e. Having a string sticking out would be ugly and open to theft..)

#7 ·
My '09, there's two bolts that come in from either side of the front seat to anchor it to the central post.... the rear edge uses the C shaped section to tie into the tail section. The pisser is in the need to remove the side panels, and the potential to drop those bolts into the nether regions of the bike. BTDT, got the tee shirt....

I think it would be fairly minor to modify the seat pan, to mount spring loaded pins to 'make' the front connection.... if it were cable operated from the front or rear edge of the front seat pan, you could do it without having to disturb the rear section.

Otherwise using the same mechanism that is latching the rear section down would be the best approach. Would take some modification to the structure that mounts the front part of the seat now to capture and release the pin you would have to mount to the forward part of the seat pan.

Conversely, you'd have pins extrude from that structure, and insert themselves into the holes in the seat that the bolts would normally pass through. In a perfect world, they would snap into place as you pushed the seat down, much like the pawls on the locking gas cap do, or the rear seat section...

#10 ·
Thanks guys for that feedback (especially @Strider with those sick diagrams lol)

I've now investigated two options:

1) Retrofitting 2019 quick release hardware onto our generation frame
  • This isn't looking feasible since it requires a new seat as well (expensive-ish)
    • seat is also a different part number, so even if this option worked, it may not fit well with the fairings
  • would require extension to the lock-cable up into pillion for a manual pull
  • not tested, and I don't want to order a bunch of Kawasaki hardware without being 100% sure

2) The retractable plunger bolt option outlined by @Strider
  • I need to take measurements, but it looks like the bolts will need to be M6 (not sure the length I'll need, but could use washers or nuts to flush up the plunger so it won't interfere when installing the seat)
  • I found some cheap ones on Amazon and eBay, so I'll order some and try to retrofit them using pull-wire routed into pillion compartment (soon I hope)

@Strider Let us know if the ones you ordered work out, so I can order the same sized ones as you :p

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.