Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd make a new thread following the process through, since there's loads of irrelevant crap in my previous thread's posts (by me) and it's easier to follow a nice new clean / tidy thread.

Basically, it all started in October '12 when I hit diesel on a downhill 60mph road, which led to a tank slapper, followed by losing the rear end.
I smashed my arm between the tank and clipon, resulting in 3 (and a 'bit') fractures to my wrist joints, and a gaping hole in my elbow (through the jacket I was wearing). Also made a mega mess of my textile trousers, and my boots (boots split the sole from the leather and could see through, but didn't injure my foot, trousers tore down to the final layer but didn't go through, both knee protectors were torn out).
This picture summarises the bike I think

Top and Bottom Crankcases FUBAR! along with all the front / right side bodywork.

Luckily for me, I'd already arranged to buy myself a project bike, which had suddenly become a parts donor!

A 1993 ZZR400N. This bike was identical to mine in every way, except the airbox, carbs, pistons, and headers were sleeved down. I sold the engine, carbs, airbox, exhaust system and electronics (so basically the kit to make a running engine) for £150, which is what the whole bike had just cost me.

About four weeks later, my old man took me in his car to Bradford to collect a new engine

I couldn't believe how complete the engine was, for the princely sum of £150 I had the whole engine, with all covers, the carb rubbers, oil cooler, and even the starter motor!
XXX in Bradford were a top bunch of blokes sorting me out with this motor - once I cracked it open to do valve clearances, it became apparent it was low enough mileage to still be well within factory tolerances! Having ridden the bike since installation it seems to have better power delivery, which is probably down to the valve clearances (since when I checked the old, smashed motor it was all hugely tight (but still ran well, pulled like a train, and was completely reliable).
On a side note - :fu:Fuck You Ken Urwin's of Thorne:fu: - £350 for a ZZR600 motor with no oil cooler, casings, starter motor, or even a clutch basket? You fucking what?

aaaaaaanyway

By Boxing Day - 2 months exactly from the crash - my arm was healed up nicely and I was ready to ride (did I mention I swapped the motor by myself with my arm in a cast up to the elbow :D)
Threw the bike back together on a 'bare minimum' setup

After a shakedown run I found a bit of a coolant leak - this is why I left the lower bodywork off!

Got that sorted and then fitted the rest of the plastic.
Forgot to mention whilst I had the engine out I blacked the frame up, along with the centre trim panel.

At this stage I was happy - the bike was my only transport at that time, so I had it back in one piece and could use it again!

I also picked up some Kushitani NOS leathers - they're cool as fuck and suitably vintage (circa 1998 I believe)
Here's a picture of me in them, hoody on top to keep the cold out!
[/url][/img]
It turned out that the ZZR400 rolling chassis was a comfortable garden recliner!

Then we got to this stage

I had decided, just to be awkward and prove people wrong, that I would have a ZX6R fairing on my ZZR600E!

At this stage I had finished the main bracket at the headstock to make it all mount up, I have since made mountings for the middle mounting point, and this is enough to get by. I plan to make rear and front-mid mounts some time this year to make it all 'right'.

Chopped down the stock ZZR fairing bracket that I'd bent by crashing on it.

Drilled, inserted washers, and bolted up the ZX6R bracket. (in reality, I had test fitted the bracket and got the generator cover and other clearances about right first)

You can see on the right hand side I had to cut some fairing away for the radiator filler cap. I do plan on (eventually) fitting a different radiator, or making a new bracket + new hoses using the braided stuff I've seen on here.

I also fitted a Koso DB01plus digital dash unit - the ZX6R clocks I'd been given used a digital pickup so wouldn't work with my ZZR and the stock clocks were much too big!

(you can see from the time on the clock I worked some late nights on this!)

After this, I bought a ZZR600 tail fairing in Thunder Blue, painted my top and side fairings in colour matched paint (I used the wrong sand paper, looked smooth when I painted it, then loads of marks and lines started showing up - I'll paint it again one day...)
I also acquired a Micron race exhaust system, blanked off my EGR Valve, and fitted CBR600 stick coils, in an effort to tidy up under the airbox to make it easier to fit / remove.

I used an inline filter from the Ram Air pressure balancing lines to join both halves on the EGR together - this worked the same as the £30+ 'block off plates' on fleabay.

Here's the bike painted and with the Micron exhaust.

I picked up a race fairing (admittedly one of the reasons I wanted to do this swap was for cheap race fairings- a ZZR tail fairing is about £30 on eBay, but the full front is £150+, and race fairings are £300+ a set, compared to £130 for the 6R ones from Ricambi Weiss.

Prior to the Micron I did have a crack at a Cadwell Park evening track session!

(brave cornering :D )

(not so brave over the mountain!)

Since about this time last year, I've had a set of ZX10R forks lurking in the garage, slowly approaching completion.
Collars to go above and below the top yoke to reduce the size accordingly

Top one fitted

Bottom without collar

Bottom with collar

Stem set in with bush

Forks fitted to the spare rolling chassis

NOTE: I didn't actually have the spindle yet so I used a big screwdriver to mock fit the wheel/discs.

This year, Practical Sportsbike Magazine started a ZZR600 Project Feature, so I sent them an email with some pictures and told them about ZZR-International - a fantastic forum for all the ZZR models / sizes - and I got printed!

I've since finished fitting them to my bike, along with the ZX6R fairing. I used ZX636 brakes, my stock discs, and a ZX6R F wheel. The F wheel was only £25 (compared to about £300, IF a ZX10R or ER6 wheel ever appears on eBay), it cost me £20 to have spacers made and have it milled out to 47mm to take a 47x25x12 bearing (stock ZX6R G onwards bearing) - compared to £18 per bearing for a KTM bearing (42x25x?) that would've done the job I think I saved there! Pair of bearings + seals cost me £20 (£12 for bearing, £8 for seals with a 35mm OD so the spacers could be held in place by them). I also paid Chris (my mate that did the work) a tenner to fit and balance the wheel and fit the bearings. The man's a legend and is brilliant at all aspects of motorcycle work it seems. Shame he doesn't have a build thread for his RGV500 build that he's £1000's into.

Anyway - Pics or it didn't happen! Some mad fool fitted ZX10R D6F forks to an old ZZR600E/ZX6E!

I wonder where out next adventure will take us?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Loved reading through it, mate. Great to see you've kept the old girl going with some tweaks of your own. Mechanically, I'm nowhere near doing what you've done (I lubed the chain and was happy for the day!), but people putting up stuff like this eggs on chaps like me to take on bigger projects each time.

Keep us posted on what you do with her. Seems like you've got a million miles to travel with her!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loved reading through it, mate. Great to see you've kept the old girl going with some tweaks of your own. Mechanically, I'm nowhere near doing what you've done (I lubed the chain and was happy for the day!), but people putting up stuff like this eggs on chaps like me to take on bigger projects each time.

Keep us posted on what you do with her. Seems like you've got a million miles to travel with her!
It's all trial and error mate :D

Well, I think it sort of starts as error and error, then gets better :p

It's getting a new swingarm, maybe soon too!
I want to run a 180/55 rear tyre so I can run track specials

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Indeed. I have a penchant for messing things up real fast, real bad. That said, I've learnt a ton about working on the bike (and the car) since last year when I first got into motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Whats next, a new rear section? You could definitely update the looks with a new sub-frame for the 03-04 rear section! Welding would be needed, but why not!

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Wow What a story Steve, I must say I liked the bit where you wrenched on the bike with that cast on your arm.:hail
Nice track shots too, How tall are you 6 feet+?

Next place to go? how about the sub frame & that two up seat?

Reactions: Brandon35

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good work steve... she unique thats for sure.. how does the new front feel?
New front feels good, feels like it damps the force under braking just about right - lot of people say it was over-harsh on the ZX-10R's they were fitted to, I think it was 04-06 that got these legs with the Nitrite instead of Chrome?, but seems just right on my bike since it's packing a little more weight.

Whats next, a new rear section? You could definitely update the looks with a new sub-frame for the 03-04 rear section! Welding would be needed, but why not!
Wow What a story Steve, I must say I liked the bit where you wrenched on the bike with that cast on your arm.:hail
Nice track shots too, How tall are you 6 feet+?

Next place to go? how about the sub frame & that two up seat?
I'm 6"5, which is just a tad short of 2 metres.
I'm planning to keep the stock subframe, but may fit different bodywork. I know for a fact that ZX9R bodywork would fit the subframe if I moved the coolant reservoir inside the subframe, but I'm quite tempted to try out a ZX-12R tail end, something about it just speaks to me.

nice to see my old headlights are still getting used :)
Naturally :D
Although I'm thinking about finding some standard lamps to fit into the projectors instead of HID's, some reason I keep blowing bulbs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts