Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will running the M4 Street Slayer slip on cause any valve or engine damage on the bike if I choose not to flash it?
To make a long story short my bike was in the shop for 4 months with electrical issues and do not want to go through that again. So if running the slip on is detrimental im either going to go with a Akrapovic slip on and reinstall the midpipe or just go back to a stock exhaust.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400, 2020 Ninja zx6r
26 Posts
No, it won't hurt it. You will get a little backfire when you roll on and roll of the throttle under a certain rpm. Now if you go with a full system or an open header ( no muffler) that's a different story. Elaborate a little more on the electrical issue? What happened before and after you did the mods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will running the M4 Street Slayer slip on cause any valve or engine damage on the bike if I choose not to flash it?
To make a long story short my bike was in the shop for 4 months with electrical issues and do not want to go through that again. So if running the slip on is detrimental im either going to go with a Akrapovic slip on and reinstall the midpipe or just go back to a stock exhaust.
From what I have read so far about slip ons, as long as you keep the baffle in, the catalytic converter and header intact, and do not do any other mods specifically a performance air filter, you should be ok without an ecu flash or power commander.

I’m in the same boat as you though. Not with any problems fortunately but I just picked up a 2016 zx6r with 800 miles on it and an M4 GP slip on. Header and catalytic converter still on with stock air filter. The Servo cables were removed but the motor is still there spinning. No Check engine light since the servo is still there.

Even though I have read repeteadly a slip on is ok, even MC Garage on youtube said you should be ok. I am planning to run this bike to 100k miles, and it just always sits in the back of my mind how lean it is with this current slip on and if I am doing any damage that can surface in the higher mileage once the bike gets there. Paranoia I guess. I am thinking about putting some block off plates on and just taking it to a dyno shop for a baseline run. Which I heard is not as expensive as full dyno work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I have read so far about slip ons, as long as you keep the baffle in, the catalytic converter and header intact, and do not do any other mods specifically a performance air filter, you should be ok without an ecu flash or power commander.

I’m in the same boat as you though. Not with any problems fortunately but I just picked up a 2016 zx6r with 800 miles on it and an M4 GP slip on. Header and catalytic converter still on with stock air filter. The Servo cables were removed but the motor is still there spinning. No Check engine light since the servo is still there.

Even though I have read repeteadly a slip on is ok, even MC Garage on youtube said you should be ok. I am planning to run this bike to 100k miles, and it just always sits in the back of my mind how lean it is with this current slip on and if I am doing any damage that can surface in the higher mileage once the bike gets there. Paranoia I guess. I am thinking about putting some block off plates on and just taking it to a dyno shop for a baseline run. Which I heard is not as expensive as full dyno work.
If you don't have a tune I don't believe you can remove the PAIR valve without causing a check engine light. I guess you could leave it in there but it might be a little tight out of it's original spot. 2wheeldynoworks is only charging $230 for a flash specific to the modifications that you have on your bike. They also make changes to the flash for free ($10 shipping to them / $10 return shipping) as you change your modifications. The dyno session probably isn't worth it, I'd put that money towards the tune. Your bike will run richer than factory (safer/smoother) with all the factory restrictions removed so you can remove the servo and PAIR valve. The bike is tuned from the factor to open the throttle slowly even if you have it pinned open and it closes automatically as your nearing the top of the rev range where your making all your power. They will make it respond to exactly the input that it's being given. Even with my bike back to stock exhaust (servo/PAIR deleted) it pulls so much harder than stock and is way smoother. The quickshifter is also much smoother. You can obviously do exactly what you want but if you like the way the exhaust looks and sounds just keep it and send the ecu off for a flash. You'll have piece of mind that it is tuned for power and safety rather than for enviro compliance. Either way have fun with it, you'll have a blast!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Adding a slip-on muffler and deleting the PAIR valve and/or exhaust valve do not require a tune. To avoid getting check engine lights when you delete the PAIR valve and/or the exhaust valve, I recommend these kits:

1. Exhaust valve delete - Servo Buddy SkutrNet Kawasaki ZX-6R/RR 05-22 Exhaust Servo Buddy
2. PAIR valve delete (block plates) - Smart Moto SmartMoto Electronics

The kits do not cost much and they will trick the ECU into thinking those systems are still attached, so no check engine light.

If you installed a full exhaust system and added a K&N air filter or modified your air intake, then you would need to get your bike tuned/flashed or add a Power Commander/Bazzaz/Etc. The reason is that the ECU is not calibrated from the factory to handle the additional airflow from those modifications. It will cause the engine to run lean which can cause detonation (engine damage) from overheating. To correct that, a tune, ECU flash, or Power Commander/Bazzaz will add more fuel to the engine so it will run at a safe air to fuel ratio.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just a reminder that little square box between the header and the muffler/slip on is not a catalytic converter. The cat is in the header's collector. Where the 4 pipes come in to 1. The box is just a resonator/pre-chamber type of unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts