Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an M4 GP slip on exhaust. Took out the servo, cables and old exhaust(obviously). I also took out the Cat. I took out the baffle in the M4 exhaust so its pretty much straight piped. Do I need to get it tuned or anything? No error codes came up.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 KRT ABS
100 Posts
I recently installed an M4 GP slip on exhaust. Took out the servo, cables and old exhaust(obviously). I also took out the Cat. I took out the baffle in the M4 exhaust so its pretty much straight piped. Do I need to get it tuned or anything? No error codes came up.
The cat is in the header so a slip-on only does not replace the cat. What you removed is the pre-chamber/resonator.

In the below pic the cat is visible in the header under the Kawasaki sticker.

I don't think a flash is required but a flash would improve the drivability regardless of a slip-on. I had a slip-on, K&N, and a ECU flash on my 400 and the flash completely transformed the engine. I have 450 miles and I am already thinking about getting a flash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cat is in the header so a slip-on only does not replace the cat. What you removed is the pre-chamber/resonator. In the below pic the cat is visible in the header under the Kawasaki sticker.

I don't think a flash is required but a flash would improve the drivability regardless of a slip-on. I had a slip-on, K&N, and a ECU flash on my 400 and the flash completely transformed the engine. I have 450 miles and I am already thinking about getting a flash.

View attachment 108326
Yes, thank you. I installed a gen 2 flasher relay for my fender eliminator, is that something completely different?

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you, you have been a huge help. so you think An ECU Flash is not required but it would improve the bikes performance and reliability after my install of the slip on?
Motorcycles run lean from the factory to pass emissions and have a lot of restrictions built into the ECU. An ECU flash will overwrite the OEM garbage with a more performance oriented program that will smooth out the engine so it will run better, cooler, smoother and increase HP slightly. The real benefit of an ECU flashing service is in the overall improvement in how the engine runs IMO and is not about HP gains.

The 400 runs like a lawn mower until you get a proper ECU flash. The ZX6R is a bit rough around the edges as well IMO and needs a reflash to smooth out the engine. Once I exceed the 600 mile break-in I will get a reflash.

ECU flashing will probably void the warranty for engine failure so keep that in mind before flashing the ECU. The ECU flash mail in service should not cause reliability issues but anytime you introduce something there is a risk involved.

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
21 Posts
I'd recommend finding someone in your area who has a dyno and does ECU flashing, while sure mailing your ECU to some of these companies/people can net you good results and can be cheaper, you can (in my opinion) gain a lot more bang for your buck by dialing it in on the dyno.

But if you aren't that worried about it then absolutely ship the ECU off to get it flashed for something similar to your setup you currently have. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd recommend finding someone in your area who has a dyno and does ECU flashing, while sure mailing your ECU to some of these companies/people can net you good results and can be cheaper, you can (in my opinion) gain a lot more bang for your buck by dialing it in on the dyno.

But if you aren't that worried about it then absolutely ship the ECU off to get it flashed for something similar to your setup you currently have. :D
A dyno tune on my 400 was going to cost over 600 in my area vs. the SBU tune at 200. I'm not sure how much more bang for the buck a dyno tune is going to yield for street only use but if you are worried about squeezing every last ounce of power out of the engine then a dyno is the way to go. I wasn't keen on having some grease monkey bounce my engine off the rev limited a dozen times and possibly blow the engine while tuning.

Mail-in flash services are customized to the specific bike setup so you need to fill out a form detailing what mods are present and which features to enable/disable, etc. so the tuner can dial it in. While not as accurate as a dyno I would still consider it a custom tune. SBU is within driving distance of my house so I drove my ECU down to Freddy and discussed it with him before flashing my ECU.

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
21 Posts
A dyno tune on my 400 was going to cost over 600 in my area vs. the SBU tune at 200. I'm not sure how much more bang for the buck a dyno tune is going to yield for street only use but if you are worried about squeezing every last ounce of power out of the engine then a dyno is the way to go. I wasn't keen on having some grease monkey bounce my engine off the rev limited a dozen times and possibly blow the engine while tuning.
To each their own, I prefer getting my bike mapped out on the dyno for a tune made specifically for my setup vs some tuner monkey slapping a "similar" map into my ECU which could conflict with my own setup and cause issues. If you're that worried about the shop grease monkey you got quoted from in your area then I can understand why you'd stick with mail-in flashes lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To each their own, I prefer getting my bike mapped out on the dyno for a tune made specifically for my setup vs some tuner monkey slapping a "similar" map into my ECU which could conflict with my own setup and cause issues. If you're that worried about the shop grease monkey you got quoted from in your area then I can understand why you'd stick with mail-in flashes lol.
I've read too many stories about engines blowing on the dyno to be comfortable with it. I would rather have a tuner monkey handling my ECU than some grease monkey blowing the engine. I will let Freddy know you called him a tuner monkey, :)

·
Registered
2020 ZX6R
21 Posts
I've read too many stories about engines blowing on the dyno to be comfortable with it. I would rather have a tuner monkey handling my ECU than some grease monkey blowing the engine. I will let Freddy know you called him a tuner monkey, :)

Always going to be some bad eggs. :sneaky:

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the subject of ECU flashing vs. dyno, here is Chris Moore giving some good information on the subject.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Just to add a little factual info here: All race engines that I know of are broken in on dynos. A tuned map to your bike with your mods will be much more precise than a generic map, even one supposedly set up for your bike.

Also, Dynos do not suddenly cause a mechanically sound engine to explode. What they can do though is cause an engine which is weak/failing/faulty to have an issue...and honestly this is great. I would much rather have my engine throw a rod through the case on the dyno then when my nuts are sitting on 5 gallons of flammable liquid.

I raced for years and every single engine was broken in on the dyno, and got annual re-tuning/checkup on the dyno as well. They are a great tool to ensuring that your engine is running optimally and can even help to diagnose if something is wrong. Is your dyno run from this year substantially down on power from last years? Might be time to run a compression check...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to add a little factual info here: All race engines that I know of are broken in on dynos. A tuned map to your bike with your mods will be much more precise than a generic map, even one supposedly set up for your bike.

Also, Dynos do not suddenly cause a mechanically sound engine to explode. What they can do though is cause an engine which is weak/failing/faulty to have an issue...and honestly this is great. I would much rather have my engine throw a rod through the case on the dyno then when my nuts are sitting on 5 gallons of flammable liquid.

I raced for years and every single engine was broken in on the dyno, and got annual re-tuning/checkup on the dyno as well. They are a great tool to ensuring that your engine is running optimally and can even help to diagnose if something is wrong. Is your dyno run from this year substantially down on power from last years? Might be time to run a compression check...
All valid points, I would add that dynos don't blow up engines, people do.

For street riding an ECU flash that is a dyno map from a similar bike setup will be very close to a custom dyno. Sure you can squeeze out an extra 5 hp and that may make a difference when racing, but not much help when cruising the country side with mini vans, pickups, and Harleys where the max speed is 55.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts