Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically ride until the temps are below 35 F at the time I would start my ride. Too much chance of black ice, below that...... I might ride even then, if the roads are clear and dry....

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,358 Posts
Around like 45 is it for me. After that it isn't much fun. If it's mid winter and we get a decent day I try to take a quick cruise around to keep my sanity though.

Reactions: WildCard

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Around 50f is my limit and that would only be on a nice sunny day where it wouldn't "feel" as cold. I used to ride almost down to freezing back when I was younger and braver (dumber?).

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was limited to ~40F, until I got the heated gloves...... I claim ice as the issue below 35..... It's also losing warmth to my feet and chest.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I was limited to ~40F, until I got the heated gloves...... I claim ice as the issue below 35..... It's also losing warmth to my feet and chest.
Oh yeah, heated gear changes everything. Buddy of mine was big into adventure riding and had heated all the things. Too much $$$ for this guy and I don't street ride anymore anyway.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
By choice being the operative term here....

Ideally for me- when I leave home it is atleast in the 40's and will be in the 60's or even low 70's for highs throughout the day- but I rarely get so blessed........ much of the summer is upper 80's or 90's and dewpoints in the 60's or even 70's.... so I choose to not ride more often because of too hot and humid than because of too cold....
my thought- you can always add more layers but you can't take anymore clothes off...................

but...... I will leave home in the upper 20's and ride even when it is only going to be 50ish as long as it is not too windy out and the sun is shining for an entire 300-450 mile day......... I get by far the vast majority of my riding miles in every year in Mar/Oct/Nov--- outside of my busiest time @ work

When I was "young" (28ish)....... I had a couple years straight where I did not even own anything with more than 2 wheels and would ride regardless of temp out of necessity more than desire.I lived about 20 miles from the shop then, and there were too many nights sleeping on the couch at work when it would snow..... of course I did not go out and ride for "fun" in those extremes

That said, I still ride by choice a few times every winter even when I depart home in the 30's and it is only 30's or low 40's for the 3-4 hours I am willing to go out and get in some riding......... Just so little work to do all winter and so fucking stir crazy one simply has to go do something one enjoys!!!

zero heated gear, although I do have heated grips........ otherwise it is 3 layers covered by my dead cow leathers covered by my rain jacket (since that blocks all wind and that is really what makes 100% difference for me being able to ride in cold weather)-- My whole body will be cold to the touch when I return but internally I do not really feel cold and since it is generally 3-4 hours of riding enjoyment in the dead of winter it still brings a smile to my face....

pics just for fun..........

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
45 and above for me. below that finger tips go numb even in insulated gloves. would need heated apparel that I don't have.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I worked my limit when leaving the house was 28F. Now I don't ride much unless it is in the 40s when leaving but generally go for longer distances. I'm looking to get better winter gear so can ride a bit more this winter. As for heat, I don't mind sweating and have lots of miles at 90F and above. Since I live in the south where folks have a hard time driving in the rain, if it is snowing or icy I stay at home. I can get where I'm going but the probability of being hit by another driver or having the road blocked by several of them is too great. So I just sit at home and text all of my friends who still work and tell them how nice it is to be retired :) all in a friendly jest though.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I bought a Goldwing to stay warm. It is for commuting to work. Nice big fairing, heated grips and a comfy seat. The winters only get down to 40 ish degrees but who wants to suffer. Not this guy. The bike weighs 850lbs and it is a beast. Or should I say PIG.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a Goldwing to stay warm. It is for commuting to work. Nice big fairing, heated grips and a comfy seat. The winters only get down to 40 ish degrees but who wants to suffer. Not this guy. The bike weighs 850lbs and it is a beast. Or should I say PIG.
I used to ride for Kearny Mesa, to Escondido all year in the late 80's.... Swing shift. Riding home in November after 11pm demonstrated how cold air finds the lowest point, every time I rode down into an arroyo and the ambient dropped from 40 to 32 in a few seconds. All that cold high desert air flowing out to the ocean made for some bitter temps.

Didn't seem stupid at the time, but I was all of 25 and had a nice warm bride in bed at the end of the trip........ :laugh. She has not forgiven me to this day:O:laugh

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
60 and up for me. All my gear is perforated so it gets cold pretty quick when pickin up speed.

I have rode in low 40s before tho...fuckin sucked.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
60 and up for me. All my gear is perforated so it gets cold pretty quick when pickin up speed.

I have rode in low 40s before tho...fuckin sucked.
All my leathers are too, liner! and when really cold, rain jacket over the jacket

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
If I'm sure it's dry I'll ride anytime as long as I've got warm gear to wear.

If it's even slightly damp I won't ride below 33 degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
45 is the lowest I've rode in so far, just a hoodie under jacket and summer gloves, at night, 40 degree wind chill on the highway. My fault for underestimating a 20 min ride at 70 in that lol forearms were quite chilled.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hypothermia is a real thing, and is quite dangerous.... Makes you stupid, and slow to react. Insidious, too.

For those amongst us without dedicated cold weather gear, trapping still air around your torso is a very good thing. Lloyd is fond of using his wind proof rain gear for this. I go for multiple layers under my textiles, which would work better, with still air.

It was pointed out to me years ago, that sections of a newspaper wrapped around your torso under your jacket is a very good trap for that still air. If it gives you another hour, that can make a huge difference...

If you can keep your core warm, your extremities will not freeze. My oh so glorious heated gloves make my hands impervious to frostbite, even if I lose core temp.

Insulated waterproof riding over pants, insulated water resistant textile jacket with built in 'dickie' to act like that newspaper, insulated boots and wool socks, and a balaclava to limit heat loss through my scalp -- & those powered gloves...... Riding for 45 minutes at 30 something F at 70 MPH, I don't cool off. Core temp stays stable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Upper 20's once without heated gear.... not far from deal's gap. That felt pretty cold but we get lots of riders from everywhere so it's busy all season, I prefer the less crowded early morning rides and occasionally a rainy one but i don't do foggy rides here in the Smokeys. Wouldn't do below freezing again lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts