Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 1998 ninja zx6r. I am trying to lower it as I am only 4'10". fun fun. Well I have the stock links off and am trying to put the lower links on but I cannot get the spacing between the bolts to get to where i need them to be so I can put the new lower links on. Can someone please instruct me on how to change the distance between the bolts required for the lower link? Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Attach one side of the link. Then use a small jack under the shock so that you are able to line up the other side. Lower or raise as needed

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
The lowering links should be longer than stock.

It helps to have someone help you also. What I've done in the past is put a floor jack underneath the oil pan, header, or strap the rear of bike from rafters. Then lift the rear wheel/swingarm until the bolt holes line up with your links. This way the bottom bolt hole stays stationary, and lifting the rear wheel will pivot the swingarm to align the top bolt hole.

FYI.... insert the bolts from left of bike to right. This way, in the future it will be easier to remove if necessary without having to take off exhaust midpipe. I don't know which way they are from factory, but MINE was inserted from right to left when I bought it. PITA the first time having to remove pipes/header.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks!! One more question. I was thinking about extending the subframe, the two metal bars the come down the side of the bike under the seat, and angling it down a little so it would bring the seat height down a bit. thoughts on this idea?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
You could always start by shaving the seat instead of making a new subframe which would be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Don't forget to lower the front too btw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i wasnt going to build a whole new subframe, just was thinking about having brackets made to extend the length of it... maybe...I have some serious height problems lol. im thinking of any and every way to get that bike low enough for me to at least toe it.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I don't get how extending it would make it lower? It's still going to mount at the same point on the frame? Lower the front so your geometry isn't horrid. I'm only 5'7 on a good day and all I do is dirtbike style it. When you need to stop, put your left foot flat down and you're fine.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
How much lower than stock have you lowered it? If you get it mega low it will handle like a pig.. Scraping shit while raining over speed humps and sticks and shit.. Shave the seat and see how that works

1 - 10 of 10 Posts