Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookin for an easy way to make my exhaust louder on my 05 636. As of now the exhaust is fully stock besides a scorpion slip on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Since it seems we're gunna debate it, Its a yes or no kind of answer. Sure, if you're in traffic or maybe splitting lanes, your pipes might make other drivers aware of your presence.

However, there's a video somewhere I can't find it but it paints a perfect picture of sound vs speed.

In the video, taken inside of a car with its windows up traveling at highway speeds, shows a cop car approaching with lights and sirens at full blast. You do not hear the sirens clearly until the cop car is almost next to the car. At that point, most likely limiting your ability to react to a suddenly merging car.

Not to mention, exhaust sound is directed back or out to the side.

And finally, considering that most fatalities are vehicles entering a motorcycles right of way (usually vehicles making left hand turns in front of motorcycles) or involve alcohol, lowcel's statement is probably the most accurate.

Learning how to ride and keeping your situational awareness up will result in the best results.

AND IF YOU REALLY WANT AN ANSWER without getting a louder pipe:

Pop some holes in the exhaust pipe or remove the scorpion can. That'll get some attention.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Loud pipes on the street suck. They're pretty cool at the track, though. Love watching and hearing the other groups scream inbetween sessions. Don't really care for the Ducati sound, but then I don't really care for Ducatis.

jimundascores

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I pulled up behind my wife in her MDX at our driveway (we were getting home at the exact same time). I revved the engine a bit, slipped the clutch to put some strain on it, and pulled around the driveway.

She knows the bike is loud, and I asked if she heard it. "No, I had music on. I didn't hear anything"

I'm running a Two Bros., and it is loud. UNLESS you're in a car with the windows up. Nobody can hear a thing.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I too have a Scorpion exhaust. I chopped it down about 4 inches and it gave it a little deeper sound, but I like it. It is the perfect sound IMO. Not too loud and slightly louder/deeper than stock. And no, loud pipes don't save lives. That's a stupid fucking saying derived from squids and ******** to somehow try and justify their obnoxious exhaust on their toys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, well despite all the opinions, i still fully agree that 'loud pipes save lives'. Ive been ran off the road and have had my share of road rash ridin a stock zzr600 that you cant hear at all. I truly believe if he would have heard me beside him, the dumb ass wouldnt have got in my lane. Didn't mean to open up this can of worms, any more suggestions?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Lol, well despite all the opinions, i still fully agree that 'loud pipes save lives'. Ive been ran off the road and have had my share of road rash ridin a stock zzr600 that you cant hear at all. I truly believe if he would have heard me beside him, the dumb ass wouldnt have got in my lane. Didn't mean to open up this can of worms, any more suggestions?
Science is probably wrong so I'm sure you are correct. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I have never been in a situation where a "loud pipe" would have saved me. Plenty of times that skills learned at the track have saved me though. Foreseeing danger and avoiding it works BETTER. NEVER RIDE WITH A CAR NEXT TO YOUR SIDES EITHER. Leave a gap to the sides.

Also, having a overly loud exhaust is inconsiderate to everyone else. You may like it, everyone else not so much.

If you need something loud use this instead.

Denali Soundbomb Compact Air Horn - RevZilla

·
Registered
875 Posts
Im lookin for an easy way to make my exhaust louder on my 05 636. As of now the exhaust is fully stock besides a scorpion slip on. Any suggestions?
drill holes in the muffler then paint it a fluorescent color

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Loud pipes on the street suck. They're pretty cool at the track, though. Love watching and hearing the other groups scream inbetween sessions. Don't really care for the Ducati sound, but then I don't really care for Ducatis.

jimundascores
I love the sound of all sportbikes at speed. Amazing music they all make. It's all different too.:)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yes, if he knew you were there, he may not have done that. Point of the discussion is: Loud exhaust would NOT have helped him hear you (in many cases). So the conclusion that loud pipes save lives is false.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts