Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the scene and looking to make some new friends that ride in my area, i know that buttonwillow is coming up but im no where near the area of experience to try that yet. if anyone has a local line on meet up spots or just wants to go for a ride let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Welcome! There's a bunch of southern California people on here, especially in the LA area. I'd assume Hitman, Jperez, or a few people will chime in here eventually, I don't venture up that far too often.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
its only about an hr and a half ride, maybe in the future ill venture down that way, im still in the newbie wants to go everywhere phase lol
Yeah there's a bunch of us in OC too, I just hate LA traffic so I don't bother :O

I'd be happy to show you around down here but I'm moving in about 6 weeks so clock's ticking :laugh

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh nice i head out to corona/ riverside once in awhile so its not to far off, deff will let you know in the next few days, im waiting on a new shifter since my other one decided to quit life

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
303 Posts
welcome! we go to Angeles Crest hwy once in awhile.
i am also a newbie been riding a yr now. your welcome to join us sometimes we go to Pacific Coast hyw for cruising.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome! we go to Angeles Crest hwy once in awhile.
i am also a newbie been riding a yr now. your welcome to join us sometimes we go to Pacific Coast hyw for cruising.
ya ive only been riding a few days, my only prior experience has been with quads and dirt bikes, ya i see that there is a Malibu run on sundays and im usually free on weekends unless im on duty

·
Registered
303 Posts
ya ive only been riding a few days, my only prior experience has been with quads and dirt bikes, ya i see that there is a Malibu run on sundays and im usually free on weekends unless im on duty
cool! i'll let you know we might go this weekend i'll hit u up if ever.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If you can go do that trackday, don't worry about your current riding level. You'll learn a lot more in 1 trackday than you will riding the streets for 6 months.

I'll be out and about in the next few months, for now I only have a trackbike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you com go do that trackday, don't worry about your current riding level. You'll learn a lot more in 1 trackday than you will riding the streets for 6 months.

really. you think so? ill just end up in the way of guys that are much faster, plus my bike is my daily driver so id be scared of recking it

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
really. you think so? ill just end up in the way of guys that are much faster, plus my bike is my daily driver so id be scared of recking it
You won't be the slowest person out there I guarantee it. The beginner group has a lot of passing rules so even if you are the slowest rider you won't notice that your in the way of faster people.

It's probably less dangerous to ride the track than it is to ride canyons roads. I can guarantee that at least you won't have to worry about opposing traffic or falling off a cliff.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You won't be the slowest person out there I guarantee it. The beginner group has a lot of passing rules so even if you are the slowest rider you won't notice that your in the way of faster people.

It's probably less dangerous to ride the track than it is to ride canyons roads. I can guarantee that at least you won't have to worry about opposing traffic or falling off a cliff.

Is it something i need slicks for. Or just street tires? What kind of gear do i need for a track day?

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
cool! i'll let you know we might go this weekend i'll hit u up if ever.
I'll likely be up at the Rock Store around 11am on Sunday.... Maybe I'll see some of you there.

If you can go do that trackday, don't worry about your current riding level. You'll learn a lot more in 1 trackday than you will riding the streets for 6 months.

Personally... I'd wait until you've got a few thousand street miles before a track day.

Majority of track day organizations run a 3 group format. Beginner, intermediate and advanced. You'll start in C group (beginner) and be with similar experience level riders.

Of course you'll be scared of wrecking it. But there are FAR fewer variables on a racetrack that can make you go down. It's generally a safer place to practice testing your skills. That said... most riders in C and B groups will be on their daily rides.

Is it something i need slicks for. Or just street tires? What kind of gear do i need for a track day?
No... slicks are for when you can actually push the bike to the point where street tires are not enough. I run slicks when I can... but typically on Dunlop Q3's. And they're usually enough for me. And I'm an A group rider.

When the time comes and you're actually ready to book a day at the track... check out the website of whatever organization you're gonna ride with for what they require. Generally... Helmet, at least a 2-piece suit with 270 degree zipper (almost all the way around the waist) or a 1-piece, gauntlet gloves, and boots. And a good running bike... ;)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Group rides are cool, but don't be afraid to do some solo runs as well. You have a lot of nice roads by your area. Start by getting to know your bike and feeling comfortable on it. I'm not saying you will, but many new and less experienced riders often make the mistake of trying to keep up with the faster guys on group rides, and learning a very expensive mistake for it....

Don't be one of those guys. Ride your own ride, you'll get there eventually.

PS, fuck this insomnia :dozingoff:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the site!

Group rides are cool, but don't be afraid to do some solo runs as well. You have a lot of nice roads by your area. Start by getting to know your bike and feeling comfortable on it. I'm not saying you will, but many new and less experienced riders often make the mistake of trying to keep up with the faster guys on group rides, and learning a very expensive mistake for it....

Don't be one of those guys. Ride your own ride, you'll get there eventually.

PS, fuck this insomnia :dozingoff:

I really appreciate the advice Jperez, i guess im just a little over excited to get out there, so far ive only been able to put about 250miles on the bike and mostly freeway miles at that since i was on duty this weekend im hoping that this weekend ill be able to just get out and ride around

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll likely be up at the Rock Store around 11am on Sunday.... Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Personally... I'd wait until you've got a few thousand street miles before a track day.

Majority of track day organizations run a 3 group format. Beginner, intermediate and advanced. You'll start in C group (beginner) and be with similar experience level riders.

Of course you'll be scared of wrecking it. But there are FAR fewer variables on a racetrack that can make you go down. It's generally a safer place to practice testing your skills. That said... most riders in C and B groups will be on their daily rides.

No... slicks are for when you can actually push the bike to the point where street tires are not enough. I run slicks when I can... but typically on Dunlop Q3's. And they're usually enough for me. And I'm an A group rider.

When the time comes and you're actually ready to book a day at the track... check out the website of whatever organization you're gonna ride with for what they require. Generally... Helmet, at least a 2-piece suit with 270 degree zipper (almost all the way around the waist) or a 1-piece, gauntlet gloves, and boots. And a good running bike... ;)
Now thats a boat load of knowledge:butbut:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts