Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!

just wanted to introduce myself.
i'm from switzerland and i'm currently riding a honda cbr600rr...

just got back from a test-ride event whre you had the chance to ride nearly every 2014 modell bike from all the manufacturers!

i've test-rode the kawasaki ninja zx6r and damn i was sooo surprised by the difference in power compared to my 08 cbr600rr!
i know it has 37cc more and that difference is definitely felt!

the power delivery is sooo much more brutal and raw! the handling is superb and the ride modes are also fun to play around with...overall the bike is just more aggressive and also the riding position is...

i'm thinking about selling my cbr600rr and getting me a 2013 kawasaki zx6r..

just had to share my experience!

what are the differences between the 2012 and 2013 modell? whiuch one would you guys recommend?

cheers!:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
The 13's and 14's are 636cc and the 12's are 600. They also changed the body style a bit. The newer models also have a slipper clutch, dif. power modes, traction control and an option for ABS. Not sure if the 12's have any of those features. I have a newer model.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The 13's and 14's are 636cc and the 12's are 600. They also changed the body style a bit. The newer models also have a slipper clutch, dif. power modes, traction control and an option for ABS. Not sure if the 12's have any of those features. I have a newer model.
Bad advice mate. The ZX6R has had a slipper clutch since the 05 model came out.

The 09-12 and the 13-14 are almost identical bikes. The obvious difference is the fairings and color options, but aside from those, there's not a whole lot that has changed.

Here's the list of all differences (that I remember) on the 13-14 vs the 09-12.

• The forks are now separate function but the rear shock is the same -- although the suspension is much softer (they are more geared for street riding).
  • The newer models have traction control and optional anti-lock brakes.
  • Same motor with crankshaft that gives 2.6mm additional stroke/cylinder to increase displacement 37cc and a 12.9:1 CR (vs 13.3 CR).
  • S20 tires vs BT00016s (much better tire).
  • 10mm larger diamater front rotor with a monobloc caliper.
  • Removal of secondary injectors - now there are 4 (vs 8).
  • 55.1 wheelbase (vs 54.9) which changed the rake to 24 from 23.5
  • .6" taller seat height.
  • The fuse box moved to the left side of the mid fairing (vs underneath the seat).
  • Rear brake reservoir bracket built into the frame instead of the fairing.
  • H7 headlight bulb type vs H9/H11.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=24&id=569

Rules of thumb -
For the track, get an 09-12.
For the street, get a 13-14.
These bikes really aren't all that different from each other, don't buy into the bs and hype that people would have you believe. And I can guarantee that either of these generation bikes are light years better of the CBR.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
So, aside from different displacement, different compression ratio, different fuel injection system, different front suspension, different chassis geometry, different front braking system, different electronics package, different body work, different tires and different rider position they are virtually the same bike?

Glade they didn't change anything major?

·
Registered
888 Posts
So, aside from different displacement, different compression ratio, different fuel injection system, different front suspension, different chassis geometry, different front braking system, different electronics package, different body work, different tires and different rider position they are virtually the same bike?

Glade they didn't change anything major?
lol...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The 09-12 and the 13-14 are almost identical bikes. The obvious difference is the fairings and color options, but aside from those, there's not a whole lot that has changed.

• The forks are now separate function but the rear shock is the same -- although the suspension is much softer (they are more geared for street riding).
  • Same motor with crankshaft that gives 2.6mm additional stroke/cylinder to increase displacement 37cc and a 12.9:1 CR (vs 13.3 CR).
  • The fuse box moved to the left side of the mid fairing (vs underneath the seat).

Rules of thumb -
These bikes really aren't all that different from each other, don't buy into the bs and hype that people would have you believe. And I can guarantee that either of these generation bikes are light years better of the CBR.
thanks for the detailed response! i'm leaning toward the 2013 model..

but really, "lightyears better" than my cbr600r?:butbut:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
thanks for the detailed response! i'm leaning toward the 2013 model..

but really, "lightyears better" than my cbr600r?:butbut:

In terms of performance, yes.

Honda bikes are very reliable and they have extremely good build quality.... but the performance isn't there compared to the other in the big 4.

With the addition of all the electronics on the 13, a lot of people compare it to the middle weights instead of 600cc bikes.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/06/23/2013-middleweight-sportbike-comparison-test-review-photos/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In terms of performance, yes.

Honda bikes are very reliable and they have extremely good build quality.... but the performance isn't there compared to the other in the big 4.

With the addition of all the electronics on the 13, a lot of people compare it to the middle weights instead of 600cc bikes.
2013 Sportbike Comparison Test- Middleweight Sportbikes- Review- Photos
well the power was definitely felt during the test ride :D
what about build quality and reliabilty of the ninja? will i be in for a rude awakening, since i'm used to honda?
also...the new zx6r has "only" 112hp? really? my cbr has 125hp...

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts

Rules of thumb -

First off, it wasn't advise. I was just trying to help.

Second, what's with the same 5 assholes that post on this site around the clock treating others like outsiders because we don't follow?

Fucking forum bullies.

And yes, they are different, Mr. 09.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For the love of god try out the bike thoroughly, so many issues with these bikes, i would consider something else along the way. Don't make it your only option...

with these bikes i meant the 13'-14' 636

front suspension, idle, hot and cold start. Con not stress it enough....:coocoo:coocoo:coocoo

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
well the power was definitely felt during the test ride :D
what about build quality and reliabilty of the ninja? will i be in for a rude awakening, since i'm used to honda?
also...the new zx6r has "only" 112hp? really? my cbr has 125hp...
What have you done to your CBR to get 125 hp? That bike must have some serious motor work.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
For the love of god try out the bike thoroughly, so many issues with these bikes, i would consider something else along the way. Don't make it your only option...

front suspension, idle, hot and cold start. Con not stress it enough....:coocoo:coocoo:coocoo
Only bike I would consider other than my 13 636 is a Daytona.

R6 - awesome for the track, miserable on the street.

600RR - hasn't changed in 8 years or so.

GSXR - just can't talk myself into a gixxer even though they are great bikes.

*note - I do have a CBR, only track bike I found in my price range. It's a good bike but I would rather have another Kawi.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
First off, it wasn't advise. I was just trying to help.

Second, what's with the same 5 assholes that post on this site around the clock treating others like outsiders because we don't follow?

Fucking forum bullies.

And yes, they are different, Mr. 09.
Wow dude, calm down...he was just saying that you were incorrect about the slipper clutch only being on the newer models...which you were :O

He didn't criticize you or call you names or demean you in any way (that was what you did, in case you missed the irony there)...simply corrected a mistake. You seem to be the one with the issue here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

wait..what? the 2013-2014 models suffer from many issues?
so should i consider a 2012 model?

damn...did'nt know about these issues...thanks fpr the heads up!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
09 12 are the same bike only color differences. The bike is fast at least mine is. All bikes have little issues. Don't let it scare you. Test ride them and decide. You can pick up a 09 for under 6k that's the exact same bike as the 12 save some money

1 - 20 of 51 Posts