Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Dom and I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. While I have much to learn, I do not want to start with anything lower than a 600.

My first choice right now is a 2008 ZX6R. Why? Because I like how they look. :yumyum:

So if ya'll wouldn't mind, I could really use some guidance.

What should I look for when purchasing a used bike? What mileage is too high etc...

What price range am I looking at? I believe from what I've seen the price range for a 2008 is about $6,000. Correct?

Thank you all!
-Dom

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My name is Dom and I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. While I have much to learn, I do not want to start with anything lower than a 600.
Better look at a liter then, because the '600' bikes are 599!

Seriously though, why are you set on starting with a supersport? It can be done, but it's a dangerous way to start. You're going to get flamed hard from some of the guys here, and flamed softly from me.

Bad idea. Get a 250 or 300. Hell, get an older 500. Unless you have a deathwish, then go ahead and get a supersport.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Seriously though, why are you set on starting with a supersport? It can be done, but it's a dangerous way to start. You're going to get flamed hard from some of the guys here, and flamed softly from me.

Bad idea. Get a 250 or 300. Hell, get an older 500. Unless you have a deathwish, then go ahead and get a supersport.
I always take it easy when driving. I'm a huge car fanatic but never drive dangerously. I like to cruise.

One reason is I don't want to have to upgrade as quick. Another reason is (tell me if I'm wrong) but i'm 6 feet tall and 220lbs so I don't think a 300 or below would be too good for me.

I have decided to go with a 600 (599) or above so I hope you all can just help me with the questions I asked :) My best friend started on a yamaha 650 and has been fine and he drives a lot more enthusiastically than me. I think I'll be ok. If not, then that's my fault.

Thank you for the warning though.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I agree with the above sentiment. It is foolish to start out on a middleweight sport bike. Looking back, if my first bike would have been a 600 I would have mostly likely ended up very hurt or dead.

If I could make any recommendtions it would be to go with a 650 twin. Either the SV650 or the 650R would be nice choices. I would say start out on a 250 or 300, but I can already tell you wont do that and neither did I. My first bike was a 650R and I personally think it is a great choice that you wont quickly grow bored of.

If you are dead set on a 4 banger, you may want to check out something a bit more tame like the FZ6R. You will still get that great I4 sound but it will be a bit toned down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome...Price is gonna depend on the mileage. Also it's gonna depend on what condition the bike is in (if it's been dropped, maintained, any mods, etc)

·
Registered
211 Posts

i started on my zx6r. ive been ok thus far. if you are not an idiot and dont ride to kill yourself and take it slow and get comfortable and then go a bit faster. lean a bit further, you will build your skill with how comfortable you become, thats at least how i have been doing it and so far so good.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Actually a Ninja 650 sounds like the "perfect" bike for how you say you drive and for your size. It's an AWESOME machine, not only better suited for learning but for riding. I have an '09 650 in addition to 2 '08 600s. I like them about equally but for different reasons. The ZX6R does have more overall power but the 650 is has more torque down low and is much easier to ride. I actually think it corners better than the 600s. :) You should be able to find a nice 650 for less money than a nice ZX6R. In fact I have one I'll sell you. I need race tire money for the upcoming season. :) As far as '08 prices, I bought both of mine 2 years ago in near perfect condition with only about 5,000 miles on them for around $5,200 each.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I always take it easy when driving. I'm a huge car fanatic but never drive dangerously. I like to cruise.

One reason is I don't want to have to upgrade as quick. Another reason is (tell me if I'm wrong) but i'm 6 feet tall and 220lbs so I don't think a 300 or below would be too good for me.

I have decided to go with a 600 (599) or above so I hope you all can just help me with the questions I asked :) My best friend started on a yamaha 650 and has been fine and he drives a lot more enthusiastically than me. I think I'll be ok. If not, then that's my fault.

Thank you for the warning though.
650 vs 600 - completely different bikes. The 650s are big twins, 600s are inline 4s. For your height and weight, a Ninja 650 would be a great bike. Here's some reading:

Ninja 650R First Bike? - Sportbikes.net

Is the Ninja 650r too much bike for a beginner?

Ninja 650R Starter Bike?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have to agree with the above. If you are dead set on getting a middle weight bike as your first (which I don't recommend) than make it a Ninja 650. I can assure you a Ninja 300 would have no issues hauling you around though and really is an amazing machine. In the end you will of course do what you want to do. I am a firm believer that starting on a smaller bike will make you a better rider.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention. You asked about mileage. I have over 43,000 on my Ninja 650 and it still looks and rides pretty much like new. If you take care of your stuff it should last quite a while. I would expect to get another 43,000 out of that 650. I have over 20k on each of my ZX6Rs and I *believe* the 600 engine would be slightly less reliable than the 650 twin as far as mileage but I have no data to back that up. Chances are you'll crash it before having the motor go bad. :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I can assure you a Ninja 300 would have no issues hauling you around though and really is an amazing machine. In the end you will of course do what you want to do. I am a firm believer that starting on a smaller bike will make you a better rider.
This, all day every day.

I still have my '11 250r. Cruises on the highway no problem. It's very comfortable, and I'm 6' 230lb.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I also agree with the idea of a more street purposed bike like the 650 if you refuse to start on a 250/300 lightweight.

SuperSports are a hard bike to learn on, not very forgiving. Do you have any experience on two wheels? I learned on a SV650 and wouldn't change anything if I went back and did it all over again.

Edit-
I've actually thought about getting a 300 as a second bike just to go play on. They are really fun :D:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry, you don't want guidance on a first bike. You want reassurance that what you've pre-chosen is good for you. I'll not do that for you, new riders don't belong on supersports and I don't like hearing about riders going down because they bit off more than they can chew.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hint, if you get the 6r (which, if it were me, I would), make a new profile and act like you've been riding for a while. I joined up before I had my license but I had the bike (don't bash me dudes) and I ended up just fine. Nobody's given me grief yet lol. :2fingerlol:

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Yea, take the advice of the seasoned members here. You may be responsible driver but motorcycles are a different story and 600's are a lot less forgiving at even momentary mistakes. As a beginner you will not know how to react to every situation appropriately. ninja 650 is a good platform for learning

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To reply to most of you in one message, I did not come here for assurance that the zx6r is the right bike for me.

I came here to get friendly advice from people who spend their life looking at motorcycles (as I do with cars).

The advice I'm looking for is not which bike to get, it is, what should I look for when buying a 2008 zx6r?

What kind of mileage is good, ok, bad? What should I make sure to inspect on the bike? What price ranges are fair for the mileage?

I'd really appreciate advice on those topics from all you seasoned bike owners and I hope none of my messages come off as rude. I'm just here to have fun and join the club :)

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
To reply to most of you in one message, I did not come here for assurance that the zx6r is the right bike for me.

I came here to get friendly advice from people who spend their life looking at motorcycles (as I do with cars).

The advice I'm looking for is not which bike to get, it is, what should I look for when buying a 2008 zx6r?

What kind of mileage is good, ok, bad? What should I make sure to inspect on the bike? What price ranges are fair for the mileage?

I'd really appreciate advice on those topics from all you seasoned bike owners and I hope none of my messages come off as rude. I'm just here to have fun and join the club :)
I'll answer your questions but I'm going to start off by saying that just by refusing to even consider what everyone here has said about that as a starter bike is about the most glaring sign of being a beginner. You should really consider something else. That being said here's your answers.

Mileage itself is not a factor of what you should look for. Things to look at would be chain, chain slack/adjustment, seals, tire wear, bar ends for scuffs, any other scuffs, fork seals, all fluid levels, aftermarket parts (why were OEM parts replaced) That is no means an exhaustive list.

Some 07-08's maybe all, not sure. Had a recall on head gaskets leaking. See if that one applies to the recall and if it has been done. Ask about regular maintenance. If there is lacing information walk away as you'd be taking a chance.

But please look into and actually consider the comments written here. These are seasoned bikers with reasoning to what they wrote

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I should tell you more about myself then. I know this doesn't make me not a beginner but I got my license about a year ago with the ninja 300 in mind when it just came out. It looked so sexy to me I had to have it even though some people were telling me that I would get bored of it's power.

I thought the 250 would be way too small and the 300 would be a great starter bike.

I couldn't get the financing though because I haven't built up a good enough credit score yet. Now a year later, and a year of thinking about it in the back of my mind now and then I have decided that I would rather go for something more powerful because I know myself and I know that I will not drive dangerously.

As you have seen in this thread, there are people who have started out on the zx6r. They are fine.

I am not blowing you all off who are telling me I should consider a less powerful bike. I understand where you are coming from. I am new and should learn on something more safe.

But you don't know me like I do, obviously haha. I know I'll drive safe. It's a risk but I think I will be fine.

So please, try to leave that topic alone. I'm thankful for you all trying to keep me safe. I'll be ok. And if not, it's my fault. Not yours.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts