Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a GPS for the 06 ZX6R that I just purchased. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also what would be the best way to mount it and run power to it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 1100 3.5 in i have it works great like $60 with walmart online

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks!
How did you mount it? Did u run power to it?
Uh i just bought the Ram mount for handle bars and got a USb charger on the bike installed forgot the name of it just google it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again!
I saw the bar mount on eBay, just wasn't too sure about how to wire it. Ill just do s little digging for a how to article.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a buddy that just uses the suction cup mount against the tachometer on his R1 and it stays pretty secure. I too have had success using the suction cup mount on my ZX as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Droid phone. Google Maps. Put in 1 headphone and listen to the sexy lady GPS voice. Success!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Uh i just bought the Ram mount for handle bars and got a USb charger on the bike installed forgot the name of it just google it.
I didnt think there was any room to install those on the bars. Do you have picture of it installed on your fabulous machine?

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Here's my setup... Cost me about $1.50 (Well.. not the Garmin.. lol)

You can get a car plug and attach it to the battery terminals under the seat and run the power cord up to the nav by the triples... (Didn't have the power cord wired up at the time I took these though)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like how u mounted that too but I'm not sure mine will fit that way because of the type.of steering dampener I have. I found a site that describes how to put in a USB port on your bike so I'm thinking about doing that to power it then somehow mounting it to the front of the tank. This is the site that shows the USB port install:
m.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96467

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I like how u mounted that too but I'm not sure mine will fit that way because of the type.of steering dampener I have. I found a site that describes how to put in a USB port on your bike so I'm thinking about doing that to power it then somehow mounting it to the front of the tank. This is the site that shows the USB port install:
m.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96467
This is what usb port i got
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I don't have a stabilizer so here's how I did mine:

I just took a regular suction cup mount for a car windshield and cut the suction cup part off with a dremel tool cutter wheel, then trimmed it down so it would just barely fit into the hole in the steering stem. I used a hot glue gun for fill around the piece and also wrapped a piece of electrical tape around it so it would fit very snugly so it doesn't turn or move with the vibration of the bike. You also need to pull the clip part that the GPS fits into off of the ball and scuff the ball up (I used 10 grit sandpaper) and snap it back together. If you don't scuff it up the GPS will move/turn with high RPM vibration. It works great. As you can see I also ran a 12v power plug next to my key with a 2 port USB plug.

One other word of warning on using these Garmin car units. You do not want to ride with it plugged in because the vibration of the bike *will* screw up your connector in the back of the GPS. I actually took the one in the picture apart and soldered the USB cable right to the board so I can ride with that one plugged in. That's a Nuvi 1300 in the picture. I think you can get them for less than 100 bucks now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
417 Posts
My bike almost got stolen the other night so its parked away at my families garage until i can start riding it again when it gets warmer so no pics anytime soon lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts