Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to say hi this is my first time posting to the forum. I just bought a 1999 zx6r 2 weeks ago and I'm having a problem of it getting hot after riding it awhile. I ride it to work which is 35 miles from my house and when I get off the freeway the temp goes from 4 blocks to 7 and I've looked and the water pump is flowing and I purged the air out of the system. I want to swap the coolant to engine ice cause it get to 115 deg here but I want to fix the problem first. If anyone has had this issue any help would be great I talked to a local dealer and they wanted to just replace everything for the cooling system without even looking at the bike.
Please hope someone can help.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome! Lots of knowledgeable riders on this site. I'm sure a solution will be found.

I ride a 2014 636 on the highway in SoCal every day. Typically my engine temp will run 180-200 while riding at various speeds. When I get off the highway at the off-ramp the temp will typically rise up close to 220 especially on the hotter days. By then the fan has kicked in and keeps the engine below 220ish and will typically drive it down to the 190s.

So is your fan running?
How do the radiator fins look? Maybe you could carefully clean them. There is a thread on this site that covers this. (Best way to clean radiator?).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Bikes 16 years old, probably not a bad idea to change out some of the parts. Try fixing some of the fins on the radiator. And at the very least a coolant change. Do the vinegar and distilled water rinse to get any corrosion out of there.

In traffic or sitting at lights, I wouldn't worry about the temps getting that high. Like mentioned above, you can see high temps in certain situations. I see 230 at the track during summer and the bikes fine. You're not overheating until the system starts pushing water and/or steam out of the overflow.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Did you start two threads about the same thing?

Edit: let me answer my own question - you did...that's just poor form man :no

1 - 6 of 6 Posts