Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what everyone uses to lube their chain. Mine has a bit of dirt stuck to it. I have been using a gold spray wax but it is a pain trying not to cover the whole bike in it. I would prefer somthing you can rub on that wont let the dirt stick to it as much

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I use lube I buy from the bike shop. To keep it clean I use WD40 every once and a while, spray it on a rag, wipe over the chain and then re-lube. Comes up good as new.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'll clean mine with kerosene or wd40 every so often and lube it with Belray Superclean. I like it. Best stuff I've used so far for not flinging. Once I tried it, I've never bothered experimenting with other stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the maxima stuff too. Works good.

Just have to warm up your chain (5 min ride) apply, and wait 10mins:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use WD-40 to clean mine as well and use the maxim chain wax. Dont really have a set schedule just whenever it needs it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wondered what everyone uses to lube their chain. Mine has a bit of dirt stuck to it. I have been using a gold spray wax but it is a pain trying not to cover the whole bike in it. I would prefer somthing you can rub on that wont let the dirt stick to it as much

Cheers!

Dont want to let WD40 any where near your chain, it's not good for it

·
Registered
1 Posts
chain cleaning/lubing

Mate,
Just done mine for the first time in ages....i bought some aerosol chain cleaner then used castrol lube - nice and easy no mess, the chain cleaner dries quickly while blasting out all the crap!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use repsol chain lube, I'll usually clean the bike really good, put it on a rear stand and lube the chain up and then let it sit over night. If you let it sit all night it seems like it doesn't get thrown all over the bike as much when you ride it the next day.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Dont want to let WD40 any where near your chain, it's not good for it
I wish I was the one who started that rumor. It's very popular :laugh I know it's from the maufacturer, but they're leaving themselves wide open if they're wrong. I got sick of hearing don't use it, it is bad so I emailed them.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting WD-40.

WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil and cleaner. The WD-40 will definitely displace and remove the water or moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement. It will also act as a rust preventative on any of the metal surfaces. WD-40 will not dry out the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on surfaces of rubber and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking and not just a spray)

Thank you again for contacting WD-40.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions and concerns that you have about any of our WD-40 products.

Best regards,
Eva Zabowski
WD-40 Customer Service

Check out Smart Straw at www.wd40.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice one Steve,been brandished about for a long time that rumour,now we know

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks Steve:thumbup