Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Long hair & your helmet

6K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Blaine636 
#1 ·
Normally when I ride I just pull my hair back in a scrunchie. Which holds my hair back, but doesn't avoid the lovely knots I get from my hair whipping in the wind. I have fairly long hair, and was not born with a skillset to braid. What do you ladies do with your hair to avoid knots? Any tips or tricks? Tired of feeling like a four year old crying as I pull the knots from my rats nest at the end of a ride

#2 ·
i twist my hair to where it starts twisting up on itself. fold it half way up so that it looks like a cinnamon twist and then i tie it with a hair-tie. looks like a long cinnamon twist bun haha. that's what i do when i'm too lazy to do a braid.

using the "non-slip" hair ties will make sure your hair stays in place, but taking it out hurts.

#3 ·
i have extremely short hair...so this isnt a problem for me :p

however, my girlfriend has rather long hair, basically is comes down to the small of her back, and any time she rides, she normally will either braid it & put 5-6 small rubber bands down the length of it. If shes in a hurry, she still tries to put the rubber bands in without braiding it, and then basically throws it over her shoulder, puts her jacket on, then zips it up inside.

Not sure if any of these ideas sound good, just offering some insight :p

#11 ·
I really wanted my wife to do the whole Princess Leah thing with the double side buns and an all white suit set.... but she gave me the look... The Eye of Sauron look to be clear... So I told her I'd settle for the Lady Godiva look.
I woke up a while later with a knot on the back of my head and note on my forehead that told me to put the rolling pin away and take out the trash... :scared

#12 ·
I was growing out my hair, got it to ~4in length, but shaved it off yesterday because the of the locks of hair that were obscuring my vision and flipping around in the helmet. Not sure how I feel about braiding my hair, maybe next time around when I decide to grow out my hair.

P.S. I'm a guy, so shaving it off works for me.

#13 ·
I used to tuck my hair into my jacket. But I also used a couple extra (really elastic) hair ties at multiple points (like base, middle, and end) in case I forgot to tuck my hair in.

It worked, didn't have knots once I started it, but the hair tie at the end of my hair was super tight - it can come off easily when riding unless it's on tight.

Do Elsa's hair braid from Frozen!

#14 ·
I use two thin hair bands to make a low hanging pony tail (bands sitting in the neck) and then dividing my hair into 3 somewhat equal strands. I throw the right strand to the front of my shoulder and when dividing the bulk into middle and left strand i throw the left strand over the other shoulder.

then i hold the middle strand with one hand and get one side to cross over. once that one cross over is done i hold it with the hand i got the side strand with to grab the right strand with the right hand.

that's ow i get it started.

once i've done 3-4 cross overs i turn my head all the way sideways so i can braid the remains in front of my chest/shoulder.

i ALWAYS stuff my braid straight down the back inside the jacket. the braid can't go down your spine cuz then it will bulk up in the neck leaving your head forced down.

having the braid come up to the front down your shoulder/chest left me with hair strands coming out of the braid and poking me irritatingly in the neck like bugs hitting me or fine needle pokes.

Since i got a layered hair cut i fixate the bangs and strands too short to stay in the ponytail with hair pins along the side of the head. On top they put too much pressure on my scalp with the helmet on.

it all just takes practise. i wasn't great at it but after a dozen times and practicing in front of the mirror with my arms getting to tired and heavy, I got it down now.
Sometimes tho i'd rather sweat in my helmet for 5min (gas stop) cuz most of the time my braid is falling apart at the base (neck area) and I have to redo it before putting the helmet on again.

#16 ·
i dont do anything, but put the ol helmet on : )

and my hair's bout a foot long! well, maybe like 8in

its long enough to be long, yet short enough to not have to worry too much about... occasionally does get a lil knotty tho... but then if it didnt get knotty, who would i be then!?

#18 ·
My hair was a few inches above my belt before I cut it. Now it's just around the middle of my back. I have a buff that I pull up and then tuck my hair into the back. It all stays in my helmet or I can keep it neatly just coming out the bottoms of the helmet. It keeps the hair out of your face and the back from getting tangled at all. When I take my helmet off, it usually stays inside the helmet and let's my hair unfurl all naughty librarian-like. No knots, no mess. It also seemed to help with nasty helmet hair in the 100 degree august/September months.

#21 · (Edited)
I have medium length hair, to my shoulders. I just lean my head back when i put the lid on let gravity keep it out the way. Usually works great. Problem I have is my beard... it's about 5 inches long. I get some serious helmet beard. The cheek pads flatten the sides, the strap pushes it forwards and then the wind blows the rest of it into oblivion. I take off my lid and look like a fiend from the wire. Any tips on this??

Oops... Just realised this is in the ladies room part of the forum, probably not best place for beard advice haha. Any advice would be welcome though :)

#24 ·
You could try a low sock-bun?

Tie your hair in a low pony.
Cut the toes of a sock (yes a reallll sock, maybe one close to your hair color?).
Put the sock around the elastic you used in your hair (only put it around once, dont continue to wrap it around your hair, let it be loose).
Then wrap your hair up around the sock so it looks like one of those perfect buns.
Put an elastic or two around the base to tighten & finish. as long as you do it low enough i feel like it doesn't interfere with the helmet. :)

knots are the worst!

#25 ·
I have my passengers braid their hair or I braid it for them. Nice and low with a single hairtie seems to work just fine for most of my lady friends.

No fishtails... tend to pull loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.