Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im planning a trip from Nebraska to California on my ninja, ive read and research slot about this topic and just want to get your guys input on this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Frequent breaks for fuel, hydration, oil checks, etc. Make sure you have done all necessary maintenance, mapped your route with waypoints for fuel/food, etc., and packed your rucksack, etc.

Make sure you have plenty of money, credit card, etc., in case something goes south on you....

·
Registered
234 Posts
or your going to die of back pain, wrist pain and headache??? lol thats a 3 day ride mostely in a straight line. Once u get to cali tho it'll probly be worth it ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've ridden from Philadelphia to Dallas and back a couple of times. Take a break every couple hundred miles to stretch and drink something......non-alcoholic and pack light. Too much stuff behind you starts to shift and a full tank bag makes fueling not fun. Oh, plenty of rest beforehand, interstates are boring and will put you to sleep easily

Reactions: Orion

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Watch some vids of people who fall asleep / go trance-like on their bikes. Kinda scary.

You'll need to do a lot of things to keep the ride interesting. Maybe a little 'weaving', occasional accelerations; I don't mean reckless I mean just enough to perk you up a bit and keep you mentally engaged and to keep the ride fun. Flat featureless terrain on long rides can lull you into a stupor.

Anytime you see anything interesting, stop. Every burger and shake place, every ice cream shop, every pie shop. You see a tarantula or a snake? Stop and check it out. Every time you stop, drink something.

Last year I did a four day three night moto trip and I thank God I did this with another rider. Hopefully you'll have somebody to ride with as that will make a huge difference. If you have blue-tooth on your helmets, a little chatter will go a long way.

Might not hurt to bring a very small tire pump (bicycle size) and a pack of plugs. Doesn't weigh much or take up much room VS the potential benefit.

I'd love to hear a trip report :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Know your limits. Plan for stops. Hydration, etc and everything else everyone said is key. and EARPLUGS!!!! trust me. good earplugs too. Don't be a dumb ass. Your head will be buzzing so badly that first night, you won't make the mistake again.

Now... where in CA? I'm in Sonoma County. You going to SF? LA?

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Frequent breaks for fuel, hydration, oil checks, etc. Make sure you have done all necessary maintenance, mapped your route with waypoints for fuel/food, etc., and packed your rucksack, etc.

Make sure you have plenty of money, credit card, etc., in case something goes south on you....
That about covers it,
Like he said be sure the bike is up to it.
You will want to start with a new tire on the rear. also take a tire repair kit.
take an extra shield for the lid, a clear one is proly best.

& pack lite, you really don't need as much gear/kit as you might think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Know your limits. Plan for stops. Hydration, etc and everything else everyone said is key. and EARPLUGS!!!! trust me. good earplugs too. Don't be a dumb ass. Your head will be buzzing so badly that first night, you won't make the mistake again.

Now... where in CA? I'm in Sonoma County. You going to SF? LA?

Going to riverside California, still researching the route and gas stops

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Going to riverside California, still researching the route and gas stops
Rock on. Don't forget your earplugs. Honest to god. 11 hours on a bike with no earplugs can cause some serious problems (present and future). And I don't just mean music ear buds. Music may be fine for a few hours... but you'll see what I mean after 8+ hours... those in ear headphones don't block noise really... You'll see after the first day though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys just rode from Omaha to Wichita, got thank all of you for the tips they worked well I know its not that long but thatched my test ride for the up coming Omaha California ride, if any one from this are is interested let me know so we can at least have some compani.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts