Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1261 - 1273 of 1273 Posts

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,261 ·
So.........

I can't be too upset about this I suppose....

afterall they did ship me one too many cases

but wtf........ this case was a liter short and obviously someone during its transit put something super heavy on top of the box to crush it this bad..........

2 of them have super slow leaks

but just another example of shipping failure

pictures are a few days old but you get it........about 1/2 the tires have arrived and there are only a few cases of oil missing now

I did have the lightweight tubes up top at one point, but then swapped it to the oil up top....... (this is where the corner screws sheered- you can see the jack studs on the wall but none in those top two shelves.....)

but they had a "super sale" on tubes with the only cavtch you had to buy atleast 30.......... so despite only selling 8 tubes all of last year I bought the 30, they were about 50%-80% off
the cost of the 8 I sold last year was more than the cost of the 30 I purchased (and I got the sizes I have sold in depth, so I likely have several years worth of tubes on hand now......)

Attachments

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,263 · (Edited)
..... somebody got you with THEIR 'fire sale', LOL.
sure did, but $150 for 30 tubes is too stupid cheap to not jump on it........ most expensive ones were under $7 and the regular price on those is close to $20
These are not the awesome Bridgestone tubes I usually buy and sell, but I am sure they will be just fine

they are natural rubber and come with the california cancer warning on the label so they have to be good if the dumbocraps hate them...........

hey here is a picture I think I missed posting up...........

a temporary desk top when the carpet was rolled into the office........lol

I still have not done much else in there, but I did pick up 3 used 36" tall cabinet/countertop combos that are only about; [email protected]" deep, [email protected]" deep..... that I have yet to wheel in and configure in some suitable manner, but that should alleviate the flat surface shortage in the office area and give me some behind cabinet doors storage

Been busy........
work and gf's mom is dying,
her mom is staying home and under hospice care, but they only come out a few times a day, they are not there constantly. but they did leave a drugstore worth of drugs including morphine

She was a long time smoker (over 40 years of several packs a day), Really measured in several cartons a week, and has been on an oxygen concentrator for about 25 years now, the past 18months or so, she can't even take it off for more than a minute or so without her O2 sinking below 70%
10 minutes off puts her in the 50-55% realm.........

it won't be long now, but who knows....... 1 day, 1 week, 1 month.......
Very stressful for her daughter who has had to take care of her for the past 5 years since she is inept in every way

but I have managed to get 6 of the bikes completed and ready to go......... a few more partially along (waiting on parts or more parts) and then some others organized and prepped to start on, but still sitting
and then all the rest still wiating on parts....

That 04 R1, still missing about 19 of the parts, som are the same part but in qty......... uggg

Attachments

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,264 ·
Here is the 22" deep cabinet, the others look the same style and color but no bump out center section and a shallower top at only 14" instead of 22"

they are each 48" long......... so two along the sidewall to the right fits perfect, but the other?????? maybe between my desk and the front wall but that would make it really tight up there (only to the right of the window opening, so maybe not a big deal)

But for free.......... these were worth the trips 2 miles from my house 3 nights in a row after work to pick up........ guy worked odd jobs and didn't typically get home until after 8pm

happens to be a customer. he got these from his work, along with about a dozen more he kept for himself in his race trailer and in his garage.
his work threw out about 30 of them and about 100 4'x5' sheets of pegboard

and yes I took the doors off to move it out of the car easier....... they have some scratches and dings but for what I really need and where they will be, they are great.......

Attachments

Reactions: RJ2112

· Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
It really does take a village, doesn’t it? Very cool your customers have a vested interest in your business being successful. In my world that’s bordering on ‘skin in the game’.

Sorry to hear about gf’s mom. Too much of that going around….

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,266 ·
A few new hinges, a couple of shelf pegs, and some screws for a few of the pulls installed, then all the hardware tightened up and adjusted...

and both are set in their general home--right one already leveled and attached to the walls
left one still to be leveled and attached to the wall and the accompanying cabinet.......

then some clean up and they will be good to go

This customer's work was replacing a bunch of office stuff and throwing all these away and dozens more- he kept several for himself in his garage and a few for his racer buddies to put some inside their trailers and it sounded like he lined a wall in his trailer too

I have no idea how many trips home with these he may have made and since these were the final 3 they may well be the worst of what he brought home, but they really aren't that bad.......

I was thankful to get the few remaining ones

They are far from minty, but they certainly look good from the 8' away any customer could potentially see them from and more importantly they function well

Attachments

Reactions: Scumbag and RJ2112

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
367 Posts
fyi............ side sheer strength of 3- #9 3" deck screws through two adjoining 2x4's is less than the weight of 24 cases of oil........ (what is that, maybe 550-600lbs........ I guess I was not really expecting 600 pounds on any connection when I put it together, but I did have jack studs under most of the joints- for when I really overloaded it all)

jack studs under 17 of the 20 mating surfaces....... and of course.......... one of those 3 without has 24 cases of oil sitting virtually right on top of it.......... 2 wide, 3 deep x 4 high

atleast the deflection of the shelf was not enough for any to fall the 8' to the floor

jack studs installed in those final 3...........and all is good in the world once again...........
Lol. I found this really cool really old plastic display for oil upstairs at the shop. Mind you this dealership has been here since 37 and the shelf was bellray and there 70”s style logo so I’m guessing late 80”s. But it looked in amazing shape. So I took it home for my home garage. The shelf’s about 6 foot tall and about 4 foot wide and maybe 3 feet deep. Pretty hearty shelf. Well I spend a few hours sorted organizing and stocking that shelf. I have a mobile 25 gallon fuel caddy so I rolled it in front of that shelf. Well the next morning I opened my garage and it looked like a bomb went off. The shelf exploded knocked over my fuel caddy. And shit was everywhere. Worse part was I had two boxes of shirts and two fully stacked gear bags laying there to help soak up all the fuel. I was so fkn pissed she had to wash that gear a dozen times to get that smell out of it. Six months later my motocross boots still smelled like fuel. That vintage shelf looked so damn cool tho.

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
Way back in the 80's and even early 90's I was always being given displays like that......

I used them and they always worked great, well when I moved into a new bigger location with a full bank of East facing floor to cieling windows (sunshining in from sunup til about 1pm)

I had them lined in front of half those windows....... (I would guess they were all about 6 or 7 years old then)

guess what,

about 16 months later I came in and found about 80 quarts of oil on the floor and the shelves (all 4 of them) on the ground broken in atleast a couple of spots, I thought someone broke in until I saw the windows were not broken and the alarm was still set, doors still locked and nothing missing............ Just sunshine against plastic sucked the life out of the strength and down they came

weird all of them went at the "same time" but it had been a race weekend, so I suppose it could have happened, Fri, Sat or Sunday

I built my own after that

but yes I always liked the size, convenience and the advertising of them

I really should have kept the signage from them

The only non plastic display ever sent was from Fieldsheer, they sent a huge gament rack to hang leathers on made of square tubing metal

picture of 35mm picture, circa 1991........... excuse the glare and quality or lack there of...........
but you can see the spectro oil plastic display, the kal gard labeled display and some other shit, plus how I had the front windows displayed.......

Now........ if I want an oil display like those they make you buy them to the tune of like $600....wtf.........

Attachments

Reactions: Scumbag

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,270 ·
Here........... as long as I am snapping a few pictures of the old pictures...........

The dyno room........1987-1989

the front counter view---with the pricing plan on a couple of foam boards afixed to the wall behind the counter (must not have planned to ever change pricing....lol).....circa 1990-1992/93

The engine assy room underneath (pre closing it in with walls and a door....so circa 1990)..... parts storage above, mostly tires and extra cases of oil and cables

1985.....4 gang picture.............. moving into a brand building and oh how sparse it was, some temporary signage and all....

^dido...

Sometime in 1990, the day my 1988 Ninja 600R rolled over to 100,000 miles...............

Attachments

Reactions: Scumbag

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
367 Posts
I have noticed that. we are building a new store and have sold bellray since the [email protected] and was blown away when I was calling company’s to get new display stands and advertising stuff. 800$ a pop for bellray stands. . To advertise their stuff! . The huge outside signs we are well over 20k for all that. Honda helped a little. Everyone else said. If you want to advertise our stuff. Here is the price lol.

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
I love looking at pics of other guys shops and garages. We need a shop tour topic on here. Especially little small personal garages. Idk I just always liked the vibe of small cozy shops.
I turned the pictures upside correct........

much easier to look at now

Here is a picture from spring of 1995, I have kept around but tucked away, but always near my work desk..........

set-up.............. I had an open house and was busy running the dyno pretty constantly for about 7 hours, and I had to take my daughter with me to work.......

So she sat bored out of her mind in the office area, on the motorcycle lift and generally just bounced around trying to find someplace to be left alone and not have all these strangers asking her questions and trying to talk to her, one time I came out of the dyno room and she was on top of the dyno room........ Even with the earmuffs on it had to be super looud up there with both fans running and the loud ass exhaust so many of the bikes had.......

She finally went and sat inside the truck with the ac going and radio on............. and when I departed that afternoon (she was asleep on the rear bench seat)......... this was sitting on my drivers seat........

I felt terrible making her sit around bored out of her mind having to help babysit customers while I worked but........

Attachments

1261 - 1273 of 1273 Posts