Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
941 - 960 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
Lloyd, did you ever see any of those oval piston engines Honda made with 8 valves per cylinder?
I never worked on one myself, but I saw one of the lose engines partially disassembled at Steve Feree's once when I was there doing some dyno work......... he seemed to quickly not want me to look at anything too closely as he spread shop rags over it all...

a couple weekends later it was up at BIR racing against me......needless to say I could not keep up lowly I4 600 vs v4 750

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #942 ·
Regarding the rust in the VFR tank.... can you try electrolysis, as another approach?
I have personally never tried it........... but one of my customers tried it on his Katana 750 fuel tank and lost about half the paint

no idea how or why, but that has shyed me away from even giving it a go unless I had some old tank with no fucks given to test it on first.......

I have the tank upside down and chemicals inside not leaking out, I am sure it will all come out- just taking a bit of extra work and time---especially given that side mounted petcock controls but all the steel lines inside the tank

But I looked one up........... when they were available they were only $490 a few years back
and I know this bill is going to be more than $490 for my work to "save" this tank

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·
5 new plastic duck feet for the tire machine arrived today (noticed where they are made.........fucking shit!--no wonder they break so fast!!!)

and another look at that vfr tank as I leave it sit for the rest of the day.........

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have personally never tried it........... but one of my customers tried it on his Katana 750 fuel tank and lost about half the paint

no idea how or why, but that has shyed me away from even giving it a go unless I had some old tank with no fucks given to test it on first.......

I have the tank upside down and chemicals inside not leaking out, I am sure it will all come out- just taking a bit of extra work and time---especially given that side mounted petcock controls but all the steel lines inside the tank

But I looked one up........... when they were available they were only $490 a few years back
and I know this bill is going to be more than $490 for my work to "save" this tank
I tried that one time on an cb125 tank. Didnt dunk it in a bucket or anything, just filled the tank itself. Worked pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
I tried that one time on an cb125 tank. Didnt dunk it in a bucket or anything, just filled the tank itself. Worked pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that guy may well have submerged the whole tank??? I do not know what he did and I never really asked too many questions about it other than how long did he leave it being electrified and did he just use water or something else..
I do not know how he attached the electrical current either- he is a dipshit so he could have done all sorts of stupid shit....

here is a great example;
he purchased a 2018 GL1800 new, and he decided to change his oil/filter and he managed to break off the dipstick into the engine somehow.....
No drain pan so the only way to find the 5" long plastic rod would be to disassemble the entire engine to split the cases (horizontal split)
I have no idea where it would go to inside the engine or if really poses and death sentence danger....... but if I just bought a brand new $28,000 bike, I sure wouldn't risk the piece inside the engine doing who knows what......

Reactions: PhotoAl

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 ·
Long distance customer award of the season thus far...........

This 2014 C14 rolled in tonight after a 2 day ride for the owner to get here.........

he decided to camp at the campground across from the zoo...about 2 miles away........no idea what he is going to do about food or anything else given he is atleast a one mile walk to get to anything, even the main entrance to the zoo is likely 3/4 mile away then 1/4 mile driveway to get to the front entrance of the building if he thinks he is getting food there??????
Maybe other campers with RV's and motorhomes will feed and entertain him????
but I dropped him off at his campsite around 8pm.....he had a tent and sleeping bag.....lol
atleast weather is decent, 55* and clear skies and tomorrow only 65* ish for highs again with clear skies

I started on it right away and spent a few hours getting shit removed so the 8-10 hours I will need to spend tomorrow to try and get it all completed and back to him won't feel so daunting.......... He is hoping to start his journey back south early Tuesday morning............

22,000 miles...............for the 15,000 mile service..........

some stupid oil filter cover..totally unnecessary---kind of works like safety wiring your oil filter---unneeded on a street bike with fairing totally hiding the filter imo

plugged up air filter

low coolant level...........recovery tank empty and radiator low

some goofy wiring "fuse/distribution block"....... I am all for having a junction box for add ons, but for fucks sake.....route the fucking wires properly and mount the damn thing somewhere better than hanging from a zip tie on metal with no protection on the hot leads.....arg...

VFR fuel tank..................... RUST FREE INSIDE>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WOO FUCKING HOO

Attachments

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #948 ·
Out of curiosity was it the evapo rust that got the tank clean? or some secret/proprietary concoction of chemicals you wont share with us common folk? lol
The "secret stuff" worked okay and knocked out some of the big shit, but it was just too old and the rust too thick...... (it is only a secret since I can't remember which one I had purchased for the last tank I did and it was in a different plastic container than it came in)

The evaporust is slow, but it worked great, 24 hours minimum to get the lighter rust............. 48hrs in the tank to get the thicker rust..........agitating the tank dozens of times over the 24 hour timeframe----but it would just sit there for about 10 hours each day...

today whilst working on the C14, it gets coated so I will be around to rotate it often to make sure it is all coated well and no puddles that take week to cure.......

Reactions: Visk636

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #949 ·
So, "only" about 12 horus total working time on this C14......... uggg.......... about 3-4 hours longer than it should have been

nothing like being rushed either....
but was able to finally pick the customer up from his campsite about 10:30am this morn and get him back to his bike, about 30 minutes of packing all his gear back onto the bike and filling the saddlebags etc......

I think he will beat the rain this afternoon to where he plans to get to tonight.......madison, think that is only 300 miles away- so he should be there plenty early............

Nothing too surprising really just lots of "normal" neglect things to have to fix.......

but the long and short of the list;
Valves all adjusted (needed all 16 adjusted, some blatantly tight, many just at the bottom end, a couple at the loose end)
Throttle body synchronization done
TPS adjusted, was very low, abnormally low for these!
new air filter, new oil/filter, new final drive fluid, flushed the brake and clutch fluid (was more than 3% water content)
new fuel pump fuel strainer, "fix" some of the horrible routing of wires, power lube the throttle cables and adjust the miles of slack out of them, clean and lube the pivot bolts on both clutch and brake levers---they would not even return at normal speed they were so rusty---, clean and lube the windshield track and cables
then just other mundane shit that they all see............air pressures, charging system output, brake pad check, shifter bolt cleaned and lubed blah blah blah

some pictures for your entertainment value............ ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #950 ·
Unobtanium mickey mouse o-ring............. yep that fucking 86 VF750 interceptor petcock

and then the short story about last night;

girl makes appointment to bring in her 2015 CM250X she had just purchased for me to look it over, change the oil etc...only 3200 miles on it
She was set to drop it off last night between 5 and 6 and I was going to work on it today......... get it back to her today was highly probable
Well come 6:30 she sends me a text that the bike keeps dying on her, but she thinks she will still be here by 7:00 ( I asked her if she was out of gas? and where is she?--- thinking maybe I can just go get her and the bike)

7:00 she sends another text says it died again and now it won't restart she called a towtruck that is about 15 minutes out, then google says she is only 6 minutes away, so be there by 7:30

she sends anothere text around 7:50 says "loading now"

about 8:10 the tow truck pulls up- he won't unload the bike until she pays, a few minutes later she arrives in the passenger seat with her dad
He tells her it is $177....... I am thinking that sounds steep for a 2.5 mile tow.......... and I ask the tow driver.... any chance you can cut that bill a little bit- can you call the owner and ask..
he does.so a good 15 minutes more goes by and nope...the bill is the bill.uggg
So it finally gets unloaded (raining by now so the aluminum deck is a bit slippery but not terrible)
as soon as he gets it down I put in the key turn the fuel to reserve and it fires right up and I drive it into the shop....
The look on her face was shock and embarrassment

I tried to go over some of the basics at that point since it was clear this was her first motorcycle ever, and the seller told her nothing at all about how to use the bike etc.....

I felt bad for her......... one she just bought the bike, two her 2+ hour ordeal just to get it here, her added expenses and the fact she is clueless thus far and this could have been so easily avoided........... Her dad never even got out of the SUV he followed her in --- can't imagine his disdain and how that conversation may have went about "motorcycles"

anyways...besides the dirty oil and 100% armour alled tires that have jan 2015 production dates and are in sizes of unobtanium themselves (in matched sets)..... the bike is in good form and I went and rode it to the gas station, filled it up and took it for a 100 mile ride and yup.....everything works well
I think this one will be a freebie for her, she paid enough..............

Attachments

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
976 Posts
Love that Connie add on wiring. Good thing they color coded it LOL. When I added wiring to my last couple of bikes I bought several spools of different color wires and correct size wire. Had a hard time getting the mesh sleeving for wiring but found it from the giant woman.

Feel sorry for the girl, first bike and struggling but learned a great lesson about it that she won't forget. Sometimes those lessons are the best remembered. Still remember to check the kill switch after an embarrassing hunt for why it wouldn't start many years ago. So nice to see folks excited about getting a bike and riding.

Nice weather, going to Historics at Barber this weekend, lows are 65 to 70 with highs of 90 except it supposed to rain on Sunday. Last weekend was out for the BMW car club and it was brilliant sunshine and low 90s for highs. Just living in the south!

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #953 ·
Love that Connie add on wiring. Good thing they color coded it LOL. When I added wiring to my last couple of bikes I bought several spools of different color wires and correct size wire. Had a hard time getting the mesh sleeving for wiring but found it from the giant woman.

Feel sorry for the girl, first bike and struggling but learned a great lesson about it that she won't forget. Sometimes those lessons are the best remembered. Still remember to check the kill switch after an embarrassing hunt for why it wouldn't start many years ago. So nice to see folks excited about getting a bike and riding.

Nice weather, going to Historics at Barber this weekend, lows are 65 to 70 with highs of 90 except it supposed to rain on Sunday. Last weekend was out for the BMW car club and it was brilliant sunshine and low 90s for highs. Just living in the south!
I hope she appreciates the life lessons and some motorcycle lessons too.....
I guess I will have a good idea of that when she picks it up, or maybe not........ But she was polite and nice and I felt like she simply needed encouragement and lessons rather than to be left with this bad taste in her mouth of tons of expenses and inconveniences....... maybe she will come back someday and actually need me for more than some lessons and the most basic of services.....

The wiring on the C14 was actually much worse than you see in that view......... it hung down inside the inner fairing panels and would actually hit the fender/radiator/brake lines etc too, along with the fucked up routing back to the battery and the way he pinched it solid between the aluminum battery cover and aluminum frame....... I just don't understand the callass carelessness of some people, but apprently it had been "working fine" for him for a few years........ I did notice he had about 20 spare fuses in his glovebox though, so I don't really believe it has been "working fine" to have so many spare fuses

Reactions: PhotoAl

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
So end of fucking May...

Friday was 40* in the am and 60* for the high
Saturday was 38* in the am and 56* for the high
Sunday was 34* in the am and 52* for the high
this morning was 36* and thus far.....59---looks like it is supposed to get to 63
looks like low 60's for highs this entire upcoming week

I had to turn the heat back on, start a fire a couple mornings in a row to warm it all up nice and put a sweatshirt back on again too............

Only 3 appointments all week................WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

considering I have 9 bikes here already still in need of work, 3 is plenty, I could use some downtime and need to get some maintenance stuff caught up around the shop anyways that likely is only a day or so, but be a good chance to do that....
but I am sure with Labor Day weekend upcoming and a race weekend and a trackday weekend, 3 will turn into 10 "but I need to ride this weekend" ....said in the most entitled snizzly voice you can imagine, I already had one of those calls today...... ringer is shut back off, fucking whiner........

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #955 ·
So this potential customer.......... and the company who sold him the shitbox chineseum garbage send me emails requesting I work on this bike.........

preface this with the company email sets the stage for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, and I can already tell there will be some bullshit price struggle with who pays for what and how much

but I replay anyways............. better judgement says I should have just blocked the both of them!!!!!!!!!

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I reply with;
 "No thanks, I am more than a month booked out and I am not interested in trying to figure out your chineseum bike I have never seen nor heard of until you and the company you bought from sent emails about it."

I get a reply from owner of said bike;
"thanks Lloyd you sound like a real dick anyways"

too which.......... feeling generous and kind.................. I send this back.............lol  (and people think I have no heart, or like this guy claims........ that I am a dick)[/B][/I]

"lol......... If you really felt that way, why bother contacting me and trying to get me to work on your bike??????????????

It doesn't help when the email from mototech tries to cry in their cheerios how they ......... We only make $50 on the bike, so I want to keep this as cheap as possible yada yada yada

here is the actual email from big boy toys.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hi Guys,

Our customer called you to look at one of our dirt bikes. Normally the factory overseas only covers parts, not labor. But I will cover it out of my pocket to help the customer. I hope you can be reasonable on the fee since this is a kids dirt bike and we only make $50 selling it new, so I am trying to avoid going in the hole too much.

You can reply to this email if you have any questions or need parts etc."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or that your email is lacking in nearly any detail about what it does or doesn't do....... I have never even seen a moto tech bike sans their website, so I would be walking in blind at the busiest time of the year with limited space, time and resources to spend trying to "figure it out"

I don't even know what is wrong or what it won't do and know it'll cost more than $50 just to figure that out, and I also can assertain that there is going to be some struggle on who pays for what and how much and I will be caught in the middle of that shit.....no thanks- I do not need that headache

good luck in your search"

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
rebel 250 battery just shit the bed............ oh well better here than later (looks like that battery is from 2019)

FJR1300 clutch master cylinder...fluid was just flushed last May, almost 1 year to the day...........look at that shit, 4% plus water content
new Motul RBF600 with 0% moisture content that is as clear as spring water out of brand new fresh bottle went in the clutch, both brakes......fucking good to go!

Attachments

Reactions: KevA and RJ2112

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #958 ·
I have to ask on the Rebel battery… do you think it failed that fast due to complete discharge?
I had checked it when it arrived........... 12.1v

but given she had to attempt to restart it numerous times when she ran it out of gas, just to attempt to get it here, that could have been the straw that broke its back or it could have already been junk and I just didn't know when she bought the bike---who knows

I would guess this bike sat around a shit ton, and it is highly probable this previous owner let the battery sit in the bike all winter and didn't charge it or do anything maintenance wise

but what happened now........
since it had arrived at 12.1v static charge, I had it on a 2a charger for about 45 minutes, never went above 14.0v while hooked up............was 13.3v about an hour off the charger, was 12.5v the next day and then it sat for 2 days untouched

I hooked up the voltmeter, I hit the start button just to get headlight etc on, did not start it, and within 5 seconds voltage dropped to sub 8v.... turn off key, 11.6v.............turn key back on (no lights, just a neutral light on dash) and 8.9v---- hit starter button clicks and sub 4v

charged it again for nearly 4 hours
load test it, won't even take a 40a load and test marginal................ it should be a 100cca battery.....after that load test it only read 8.6v

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #960 ·
So this potential customer.......... and the company who sold him the shitbox chineseum garbage send me emails requesting I work on this bike.........

preface this with the company email sets the stage for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, and I can already tell there will be some bullshit price struggle with who pays for what and how much

but I replay anyways............. better judgement says I should have just blocked the both of them!!!!!!!!!

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I reply with;
"No thanks, I am more than a month booked out and I am not interested in trying to figure out your chineseum bike I have never seen nor heard of until you and the company you bought from sent emails about it."

I get a reply from owner of said bike;
"thanks Lloyd you sound like a real dick anyways"

too which.......... feeling generous and kind.................. I send this back.............lol  (and people think I have no heart, or like this guy claims........ that I am a dick)[/B][/I]

"lol......... If you really felt that way, why bother contacting me and trying to get me to work on your bike??????????????

It doesn't help when the email from mototech tries to cry in their cheerios how they ......... We only make $50 on the bike, so I want to keep this as cheap as possible yada yada yada

here is the actual email from big boy toys.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hi Guys,

Our customer called you to look at one of our dirt bikes. Normally the factory overseas only covers parts, not labor. But I will cover it out of my pocket to help the customer. I hope you can be reasonable on the fee since this is a kids dirt bike and we only make $50 selling it new, so I am trying to avoid going in the hole too much.

You can reply to this email if you have any questions or need parts etc."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or that your email is lacking in nearly any detail about what it does or doesn't do....... I have never even seen a moto tech bike sans their website, so I would be walking in blind at the busiest time of the year with limited space, time and resources to spend trying to "figure it out"

I don't even know what is wrong or what it won't do and know it'll cost more than $50 just to figure that out, and I also can assertain that there is going to be some struggle on who pays for what and how much and I will be caught in the middle of that shit.....no thanks- I do not need that headache

good luck in your search"
This company is relentless.........

The customer obviously contacted them again after I turned him away and they have sent numerous follow up emails begging me to work on it............
I repeated my no the first time, the second time I deleted it with no repsonse, the 3rd time I added those stupid fucks to my blocked list........geesuz christ, they cannot force me to work on it, but they sure seemed to think they can........
fucking dickwads!!!

941 - 960 of 995 Posts